Hello

[el...]

Hi,

My name is Linda and  I spent all day reading this forum yesterday. You all seem so nice and supportive.

I'm a three month klonopin user, 1 mg for sleep. Also on 100 mg seroquel. I had such severe insomnia, due to anxiety over Restless legs syndrome (due to an iron defiency, now mostly resolved). I had been given various benzos, non of which worked more than a few days. I didn't really take them regularly. That started in April. Then in mid June, I was so sleep deprived and in despair that I developed suicidal feelings, and ended up in a psych unit for 3 days. During that time, they put me on the above meds, and it was like a dream come true.

Long story short, am still on them and they pretty much stopped working. (though last night I increased the K by .25mg and decreased the Seroquel by 25 mg, and slept great. I had gone several days with little sleep and was desperate.) It really feels like the drugs are actually causing the insomnia now. I can just feel that physically. I feel like the underlying insomnia may be better, at least with working on various non drug treatments, relaxation, CBT, all of which I have been doing. Not to mention the initial reason for the anxiety is mostly gone. Now I just have sleep anxiety! Also, I can't take benadryl, which I have used in the past, because it is a strong trigger to the restless legs.

I have decided to taper off the meds but not sure if I should get off the  klonopin first, or the seroquel. And do I need to taper the seroquel? I"m going to get .5mgs of K and do a direct taper using that step down method, reducing by 1/4 pill (.125mg) every week or two.

Also, would I be considered a long term user? Should I ask these questions here, or go to the general forum?

Well, thanks for being here! ;-)   

Linda

Hi Linda,

Welcome to BenzoBuddies.

You can start a new thread on another board, or I can move this thread later if need be; either way, not a problem.

The usual advice is withdraw slowly from your meds, one at a time. Additionally, many find it beneficial to continue their ADs whilst they taper of benzos.

Benzos don't work long for insomnia - if a doctor tells you otherwise, they are very much mistaken. And you are correct, they can indeed cause paradoxical effects where they make the original problem worse, not better. Just to clarify - you take 1mg of Klonopin per day? We can help you put together a sensible taper plan.

Take care.

Hi Linda

I dont know about seroquel, some members have taken it and will be more knowledgeable. Just wanted  to say that as far as  being a long term user, There are folks that were on Benzos for years, so I dont think you would be considered a long term user.

That said it is certainly possible to have a physical addiction to Klonipin, which you have recognized, also the good news is you can taper off your dose.

Most recommended rate of taper is 10% reduction every 7-14 days. Others will be by to comment, Welcome and good Luck

Bobers

Thanks so much you guys.

Colin, I'm on 1mg K. After reading the boards yesterday, I have decided to do a straight taper Over 8 to 16 weeks.

Using .5 mg pills, this would be a reduction of 1/8th of a mg. every one to two weeks. (1/8th of a mg, or .125mg, being equal to a 1/4 of a .5 mg pill!) So I would start with 2 whole .5mg pills, reducing by a 1/4 pill every one to two weeks. Confusing, but I think I have that straight. Does this sound reasonable to you? I"ve only been on K for 3 months.

I'm also on Wellbutrin for depression, but am staying on this.

LInda

Thanks so much you guys.

Colin, I'm on 1mg K. After reading the boards yesterday, I have decided to do a straight taper Over 8 to 16 weeks.

Using .5 mg pills, this would be a reduction of 1/8th of a mg. every one to two weeks. (1/8th of a mg, or .125mg, being equal to a 1/4 of a .5 mg pill!) So I would start with 2 whole .5mg pills, reducing by a 1/4 pill every one to two weeks. Confusing, but I think I have that straight. Does this sound reasonable to you? I"ve only been on K for 3 months.

I'm also on Wellbutrin for depression, but am staying on this.

LInda

Linda,

Following the Ashton Method, 1mg of Klonopin is equivlent to 20mg of Valium.  I was on 1.5mg of Ativan (for only 2 and a half months) and crossed over to 15mg of Valium.  It will have taken me over ten months just to taper off that.  So I'm must caution you, in my opinion that you are going to taper off the Klonopin way too fast. :o  Please be careful.

Sandy :)

Linda,

I would also recommend that you only taper off one med at a time.  If it were me, I would taper off the benzo first then the Seroquel.  Seroquel is a very strong medication.  I was on it also.  I am a firm believer that one should always taper off any psychiatric drug.

Thanks Sandy.

The taper I would be doing would be 12.5% every week or two, at least to start with. As I get lower the percentage of the cuts will increase, so  if I start having problems, I will consider the switch over. Or do the Klonopin milk thing.

I appreciate your reply, keep up the good work! Are you off yet?

-L-

Hi Eljay,

Welcome to BenzoBuddies.

Your approach seems reasonable to me. You may, or may not, be able to manage the cuts at the rate you propose - there's just no real way to predict an individual's progress. It sounds as though you are willing to be flexible though, so I think you stand every chance of managing a successful withdrawal in the time span you outlined. :)

Thanks Sandy.

The taper I would be doing would be 12.5% every week or two, at least to start with. As I get lower the percentage of the cuts will increase, so  if I start having problems, I will consider the switch over. Or do the Klonopin milk thing.

I appreciate your reply, keep up the good work! Are you off yet?

-L-

Thanks!  I'm not off yet.  I hoping to be off by the end of October or early November.  It's been a long journey.

Good luck with your taper.

Hi Eljay :)

Welcome Aboard!

That's great that you have made the decision to taper off benzos. Good for you! :thumbsup:

Most people on this site and in the studies conducted by benzo expert Dr. Heather Ashton state that once folks are off benzos, they feel so much better about themselves and their lives!  I'm in the middle of my own taper, and although it is rough sometimes, it is also very OK lots of times.  I just give myself permission to go really slow.  I started off only cutting at like 2-3 % but as my courage grew, my % grew. Now I'm cutting closer to 10% :D

Good Luck & Welcome Again,

Maggie

welcome to the forum - there is some very excellent support and lots of information.

i have decided to use supplements to get off drugs a long with a direct taper.

sometimes the anxiety you feel is the need for your pharmaceuticals - i am also committing to intense therapy to deal with issues not just drugging symptoms.