How do i know if I am going too fast?

[...]

I have been having a really hard time sleeping since I began this process on 6/9/07.  It seems to be getting worse.  I don't remember it being this difficult the last 3 years that I tapered down (i never got fully off, but I sort of prevented myself from going too much higher - every summer).  I am trying to get fully off this time.

I started taking klonopin around 1998-9.  It became a nightly thing in 2000 I think...at 0.5 mg per night.  It increased to 2 mg through 2006 and then up to 2.5 in 2007.  My memory has been horrible, my creativity is gone, and my energy is gone - so I want to get off.  However, going off has ruined my sleep which hurts my memory...and energy...not sure about creativity.  Anyway, here's what i've done so far

6/9 - 2.25mg for 13 days

6/22 - 2.0 mg for 20 days

7/12 - 1.75 mg for 18 days so far

Right before the 6/22 and 7/12 cuts, I felt ok... nightmares sort of went away and I was ready to cut it again.  I am supposed to cut on 8/5 (24 days...sort of arbitary...but I planned to be on 1 mg by the time school started in the fall).  If anything, I've really just wanted to go back up to 2 for a few days to feel normal again.  I sort of feel foggy and then get waves of extreme anxiety. The random "crawling out of my skin" feeling isn't as bad now... well, it comes and goes... All kinds of different things come and go.

Hi Jack,

These cuts are obviously too large for you. Since it has been a few weeks since you made the cut, in your shoes I think I'd be inclined to stick it out, but not make new cut until I felt better. So, what to do when it is time for a new cut? Have you looked at our titration technique? We can help you with numbers, but what it boils down to is that it allows you to make very small cuts each day. We are, in effect, splitting pills into very small fractions, small enough to make these cuts every day. Many have found that they can far better tolerate these small frequent cuts over larger infrequent cuts. Indeed, some have found their overall taper rate is increased and with less withdrawal effects.

An alternative would be to switch Valium, and taper from that. However, it takes time to switch, and some find the switch itself less than successful (some just don't tolerate Valium very well, especially from Klonopin for some reason). My instinct is to go what isn't broken, and despite your present difficulties, that is a direct taper. The titration method should allow you to make a much smoother withdrawal though.

interesting... i never read that in all of the time i have been reading posts here. i have to figure out how to get this done... i think some pharmacies around here can do it - but not sure how it is covered.  i dont really drink milk...it just kind of is really unappetizing for me.  im guessing this wont work in water.  i'd be worried i would get it really mixed right and i'd totally screw up the amounts i am taking from day to day.  this might be a good option.

Jack, are you taking any sleep aids? If not, Maggie or Bobers can post some suggestions for you. They won't make your sleep refreshing and wonderful, but they most certainly do help.

T.

Jack,

Your pharmacist should be able to make up liquid Klonopin for you, but you will need a prescription of course. Although this will be to particular concentration, this liquid will still enable you to make smaller cuts. If need be, a dose could be diluted and some of the liquid discarded to make small reductions, much as with our titration method.

Therese - I haven't tried much.  Valerian root and melatonin both made me feel kinda weird....melatonin was actually worse for me. I'm really sensitive to that.  I can fall asleep now - but the problem is staying asleep for the last 4 hrs of the night. I wake up 10 times...it's so annoying.

Hey Jack

You might want to try some benydrl or excedrine PM, I asked a pharmisist once what was the best over the counter sleep aid and he said flat out benedryl. I also drank all kinds of relax/sleep teas throughout the evening to assists sleep. also calms forte to help, Herbs didnt work by themselves but they didnt hurt.

Take care

Bobers