Xanax v. Klonopin

[Ba...]

As far as I know there benzos and work in the same area of the brain and half life is the only difference, I f you want chemical data go to wikipedia and type in both meds and it will give you the chemical structure of each.

Hi,

Both are benzos, of course. Different benzos are marketed as being helpful for particular 'ailments'. Xanax is marketed for use in the treatment of anxiety; Klonopin in the treatment of anxiety and as an anticonvulsant. There is some truth that different benzos will have differing effects, but all benzos are - to varying degrees - anxiolytics; hypnotics; and anticonvulsants. The differences are probably over-egged by the drug companies so as to sell more product.

Yes, Klonopin has a significantly longer half-life, and is probably the the biggest difference between the two. Klonopin might be more potent too, but some would dispute that. Some claim that Klonopin is the hardest benzo from which to withdraw. I had a dreadful time with it.

Thanks.  This is why I am asking.  I want to stick with the one that is easiest to w/d from.  Right now I take both.  I actually thought Klonopin would be easier because of the longer half life. 

Thanks.  This is why I am asking.  I want to stick with the one that is easiest to w/d from.  Right now I take both.  I actually thought Klonopin would be easier because of the longer half life. 

Hi,

Since you are already taking both, then yes, in your shoes, I'd withdraw from the Xanax first. As you said, the longer half-life should make withdrawal from Klonopin easier. Think of it like this, you have to withdraw form both anyway, so use Klonopin's relatively long half-life to help get you through the Xanax withdrawal. If you were talking about which would be the worst to start taking, that might have a different answer.

Would you really have a different answer?  Because I haven't really crossed over yet.  I can probably stay on Xanax alone. 

Would you have a different answer?  Because I haven't really crossed over yet.  I can probably stay on Xanax alone just fine. 

Would you really have a different answer?  Because I haven't really crossed over yet.  I can probably stay on Xanax alone. 

Hi,

Sorry, I thought you were taking both now. I know of a clinic in the States that's switching people to Clonazepam (Klonopin) from their regular benzo for withdrawal. I have real doubts about the wisdom of that. I think there reasoning stems from the same misconception about Valium being worse than other benzos. If you are are going switch to another benzo for the purposes of withdrawal, then Valium is the logical choice. It has a much longer half-life than Klonopin, and it comes in much less potent tablets (this means that you can make much smaller cuts to your dose by splitting pills). My own view (and it is my view), people are better off withdrawing from their present benzo (not switching), unless they have good reason to switch. Switching can introduce its own problems as finding what is an equivalent can be difficult sometimes, and the effects of different benzos can vary. For some, switching has been the answer, but for a small number it can be really tough.

In your shoes - unless you have a history that would suggest using another approach - I'd make a direct taper off Xanax. We have a titration technique that should allow you to make small cuts even from those small Xanax tablets. If, for any reason, you later feel that you need to switch, you can still do that - I would recommend Valium over Klonopin though.

No worries.  In fact, thanks Colin.  I am taking both, but I haven’t been that long.  I feel I can go either way at this point.  My doctor’s don’t like Valium because of the active metabolites which are hard on the liver. 

Hi,

There can always be special circumstances, which is why we always encourage people to work with their doctors.

Keep us informed of what you decide to do.

Take care.

Well, I am taking .25 mg Xanax BID, and a 1.5 mg combo of K & X an hour before bedtime.  I plan to taper the bedtime dose first, this Friday.  I went back and read over what I've written on the boards (as well as what others have written) and I think I will taper the Klonopin first due it’s seemingly being more difficult to get off of, and because it appears to be more likely to cause depression.  Suggestions / opinions welcome. 

Hehe! Have no fear, Ten is here! :yippee:

Barto! Liz! Hi to you both--have missed ya (I miss all my ol' SR cronies :'().

"I want to stick with the one that is easiest to w/d from.  Right now I take both.  I actually thought Klonopin would be easier because of the longer half life."

I know you already know this, but neither one of these guys can be said to be remotely "easy" to kick. If you must continue to take one, Klonopin is preferable for its extended coverage. In fact, even Xanax XR is only marginally preferable to Xanax for discontinuation.

The metabolic kinetics (how it clears your body) of alprazolam are more abrupt than for clonazepam, regardless of formulation.

"My doctor’s don’t like Valium because of the active metabolites which are hard on the liver."

This might be a smoke screen simply because today's doctors don't like Valium. I have looked and looked and I just can't find anything about diazepam and hepatoxicity on the same page!

Indeed, I would be very surprised to learn that diazepam is harder on the liver than acetaminophen or alcohol. Sure, it's  contraindicated in geriatric and hepatic pts, but for the average healthy person?

It seems to me that Valium is a much preferred drug to be dependent on than K or X, and infinitely easier to stop.

But anyway, how are you doing on the caffeine intake, my man? :)

Cheers -

Hey Ten,

I just stopped the caffeine again.  That has been my main battle.  For me, once I quit that stuff, the benzo taper is fairly easy, at least it was from Xanax.  What happened on SR?  I missed it.  Why are you not there anymore? 

Are you aware of any significant pharmacological difference between Xanax and Klonopin besides the half-life? 

Hi,

People seem to find tapering far easier if they regularise their dosages first. This means taking a regular dose over the day. Your regimen is pretty complicated, so I think you are doing the right thing by tackling the nighttime dose first. However, Klonopin has a much longer half-life than Xanax, so I'm inclined to recommend that you taper off the Xanax first. This means that you will have to make a lot of changes to your Klonopin dosing, as you really should be taking that at least twice a day so that your blood levels don't fluctuate too much between doses.

Thanks Colin.  I appreciate it, and may go that route, but the three things that concern me are that: I want a good night’s sleep; I don’t want to be in the fog all day; and I have had terrible experiences withdrawing from Klonopin before, so I don’t want to be on it any longer than I have to be. 

The last concern is the reason why I am desperately trying to find out whether Klonopin and Xanax are different other than in their half-lives. 

Hi Barto,

SR? lol, guess.

Banned for discussing medication. ??? I never give direct medical advice... but I guess they just don't want any sharing of medication knowledge at all. It's a shame really. A forum like this one could never exist.

Klonopin and Xanax? Honestly, you're talking six of one versus half-dozen of the other, ol' boy. Clonazepam seems to have a stronger anticonvulsive property, can be considerably more sedating like you said, and can have a more pronounced effect on mood (a consideration for bipolar pts, for example).

All these "differences" are still very subtle; in fact, they have little applicability to you, so I say just go with whichever suits ya, Barto. You're not at a high dose even combined, so that is great news.

....LOL, you and that caffeine! :pokey:

The folks here don't know it, but you might remember I actually quit C/T from a level of Klonopin 2 mg per day. lol ([disclaimer] extremely stupid thing to do [/disclaimer])

Believe me, it's more in the doing than in the planning. Getting off and staying off is all about action & commitment. ;)

Ten

I figured you crossed that blurry line.  Too bad.  That board is hopping compared to many of the others.  Very lively.  Can you get back under a different name?  You can still read right?  But it probably kills you not to be able to reply (knowing you LOL).  Anyway, I know how you feel.  I got the boot from Benzo Island for disagreeing with a mod.  You probably remember that.  You tow the party line there or they set you adrift.  I’ll say hello to everyone on SR for you. 

BTW, best for me, gut reaction, Xanax.  It doesn’t seem to cause as much fog and depression.  The increased dose of K sure seemed to help with my tinnitus though (the worst remaining w/d symptom then), but so does the absence of caffeine I think. 

Speaking of caffeine and detox, you know Starbaby appears to be doing remarkably well.  She just got out of rehab where she was detoxed off 2 mg Klonopin and mucho caffeine in one week or two with a Librium taper.  I am actually thinking about trying this if my present taper plan doesn’t work. 

Barto... make note of this url -

http://webring2.com/5/GuyNamedJohn/index.php

- I wasn't going to post it publicly out of consideration for BenzoBuddies, but really it's hardly 'competition.' lol :D

I will still double-check with Colin and make sure this is kosher. We need participation man... Drop by and pay us a visit; tell Starbaby and others.

Ten

Thanks Colin.  I am aware of that.  I would only do it as a last resort. 

Thank you too, Ten.  I told Starbaby you were here. 

Btw., that's my new forum. lol So spread the love, Barto! :socool:

Librium = chlordiazepoxide hydrochloride, the very first bzd created - around 1963 I believe. Several times less potent than Valium even, Barto; extremely long, gentle sloping half-life and an oft-overlooked bzd to use for purposes of tapering.

However, look for doctors to hate it as well. It is extensively metabolized into four active metabolites, I'm afraid, which your anti-Valium doctor will be all over. :)

Ten

Well, this is day two off caffeine.  I have already started to forget to take doses of benzos.  Will see the Doc today to discuss tapering. 

Saw the doc yesterday.  I am crossing over / tapering off Klonopin as of yesterday.  Feel great.  Very excited.  :thumbsup: