titration??

[ra...]

I would like to know if someone could help me with titration with milk with the dose that I'm currently taking? I'm taking an 1/8th less of a .25mg pill from a 0.5mg pill of clonazepam.I suck at math and I don't have the money to by the syringe and the "science kit"...(kidding)....A member told me about using a 1oz bottle and a teaspoon which I currently have. Thanks for the help        Raven

Hi, Raven,

You won't be able to do titration per se with a bottle and a teaspoon. When we talk about titration, we mean cutting a small amount every single day or every other day. The cut is normally around less than 1% of the person's current dose. Obviously, if you're working with a 1 oz. bottle, it will be impossible to cut 1/100 of the liquid accurately. This is why when you do the titration method you need some special equipment--syringes and cylinders.

Carole's method of using the 1-oz. bottle and a teaspoon is basically just a way to dissolve the benzo in enough liquid that you can make smaller cuts than you could with the tablet itself. A 1-oz. bottle holds 2 tablespoons, which is 6 teaspoons. So by cutting 1 teaspoon of her solution, Carole is able to make a 1/6 cut in her dose, less than what she would be able to accurately do by splitting tablets.

If you want to do something along these lines, I would recommend just dissolving your tablet in a particular amount of milk, then cutting a small amount by using a teaspoon or a tablespoon.

Hi,

Yes, this is essentially what we do with titration, but the steps are still relatively large - not a lot better than splitting pills into quarters. You could dispose of half-a-teaspoon at a time, to give you cuts of one-twelfth, or as Therese suggested, use a larger volume of liquid. It will, however, be pretty difficult (impossible) to measure accurately the amount you are disposing of, especially when you are disposing of multiple teaspoons (the inaccuracies will multiply). I recommend using a 100ml measuring cylinder marked off at 1ml increments.