Many Questions

[...]

Hi,

I have been reading the forums and am actually more confused than when I started.  Firstly I must say that in no way did my doctor prepare me for this!  I am on Clonazepam .25mg 2xs per day.  I thought this was a really really small dose and would not have any problems getting off of it.  But there I sat with bugs crawling under my skin.  I was pretty proud to have halfed my doses both morning and evening over the past week, that is until today when I think it all hit me.  I have never even heard of the withdrawal symptoms until I went online to find out what the heck is going on with me.

Now I have to admit that I went and took another half dose before I sat down at my computer.  I know that is a huge mistake now, but I really couldn't handle the bugs and didn't realize that it would be worse for me to "updose" I think you called it.  Although the fact that I am feeling better confirms my suspicion of withdrawal and not that I am going crazy  :D

So here are my many questions:

Is klonopin the generic for clonazepam?  If so, what is considered a low dose and if I am on a low dose why am I experiencing withdrawal? 

What kind of taper would you recommend and why do I read about people switching to valium?  I am already taking b vitamin supplements, are there any others you would recommend? 

I realize you have all probably heard these questions answered a million times, but if you could answer once more I would appreciate it so much. 

How do you get through this?  :'(

Lori

[01...]
Lori,if the bugs crawling on your skin sensation is the only thing you're experiencing,consider yourself blessed.  :P Clonazepam is generic for klonopin,but they're both toxic,as you already know.Even at a low dose,you can still experience bad withdrawals.I was on a low dose of klonopin too for only a year,but I went through hell coming off of it.That doesn't mean it will happen to you,because some people breeze through it.(withdrawal) I wish you all the best.  :)

Hi,

I've already replied to your other post, but you have provided some information here that I needed to reply properly.

Halving your dose over the past week is the cause of your symptoms. Since you have only made these cuts recently, you could consider a partial reversal, and take 0.25mg three times a day. It is important to take the doses at equal intervals (every eight hours, or as close as you can manage). This will result in a more constant blood levels of Clonazepam. Clonazepam is probably better taken three times a day anyway - twice a day could result in too much of a dip before your next dose is due to be taken. Once you feel a bit better and more stable, we can then look at titration to allow you to make more manageable cuts to your dose.

okay,

It took me forever to figure out how to reply until I realized that I wasn't logged in LOL.

Thankyou so much for the reply on the taper.  I will definately switch to the 3xs a day and see how that goes!  I think today really scared me, but it is nice to know that other people have experienced what I am going through. 

Thanks again

(a muchly relieved) Lori

I'm glad you worked out why you couldn't reply! ;D

We normally would discourage 'updosing', but I don't see a reversal of a recent ill-advised cut as updosing. People usually talk of updosing before they start their taper to somehow become stable. Yes, this could temporarily rid them of their symptoms if they have become tolerant of their present dose, but they must still taper down through the old tolerated dose. This is plainly a nonsense. Recommendations of 'updosing' is one of the few things where I'd take a tough line, as it is illogical and I am unaware of evidence that supports it as being valid. Anyway, I just thought I'd better explain this in case there was any confusion caused to anyone reading this thread about my views on updosing.

The partial reversal of your recent rapid cuts, and the spreading of the dose more evenly thoughout the day will, I'm sure, pay dividends.

Edit: typos

Hi, Lori,

Klonopin is nasty. I was dependent on it too. It's very difficult to get off of just by splitting tablets, because that drug is so potent.

I think Colin's advice is good, to take a little bit more K than you're taking now but not as much as you were prescribed. When I started my first taper, I went too fast from .5 mg K. When I was down to .125 mg, I was in hell and couldn't stand it anymore. Someone recommended that I go back on .25 mg to see if I could stabilize there. And I did. I still felt somewhat odd, but at least the nonstop anxiety and adrenal surges had gone. It was the best thing I did for my taper.

When we say "stabilize," we mean that your symptoms are bearable. There will still be some symptoms; they just won't be driving you mad. They'll be at a tolerable level. Once you stabilize, then you can start cutting, hopefully with a homemade liquid solution.

Regarding supplements, everybody's different in w/d. Some people can't tolerate vitamins at all, so as you taper, you might want to periodically reevaluate how your B vitamin supp is affecting you. One of our former moderators highly recommended whey protein powder as a means of getting more protein in the diet. A protein-rich diet will help your brain heal from benzos. Apparently, whey protein is the best because it contains amino acids that can be converted into glutathione, something that helps the body make GABA.

Regarding Valium, people switch to it because it has a much longer half-life than the other benzos. This means that your blood levels stay more constant during the day. Fluctuating levels of benzo in the bloodstream cause a lot of discomfort--the body starts going into w/d before it's time to receive the next dose.

Hope that answers all your questions! :)

Therese