Can getting a cortisone shot cause problems with taper?

[Ne...]

Hi again.  Another question... ::)  In the past, I used to always get 2 cortisone shots a year.  I got the last one before I started my taper from Klonopin, so this situation hasn't come up before during my taper.

I have a totally wrecked right knee (osteoarthritis from a car accident years ago), which becomes extemely painful about once a year.  Since I have no insurance to get the surgery to fix it  :tickedoff: , my doctor gives me a cortisone shot in my knee.  I also have very nasty allergies, which "flare up" every spring - congestions, runny nose and eyes and sneezing.  Oddly enough, a cortisone shot will eliminate the allergies like they never existed.  My doctor has given me the OK to make an appointment for the allergy cortisone shot.

Not being a doctor or having had the experiences with tapering off benzos that some of you have had, I thought I'd post here.  Do you think I could have a bad experience with having a cortisone shot during my taper?  It's been going pretty well, and I certainly don't want to "mess it up".  :o  Have any of you had an experience with this situation?  I'd appreciate any input.

Right now (as of last night), I'm taking 2.5mg in pills and 8.0ml in liquid K.  I drop off .2ml every night.

Take care and everyone do well with your tapers or advising folks who are on one.  ;)

Sue  :crazy:

http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/fighting/fighting0040.gif

"May the Force be with you!  Beat Benzos!"

[2e...]

Hi Sue,

The cortisone that does leak from the injection site will affect W/D symptoms. This is an adrenal hormone.

Cortisone is an anti-inflamatory agent. It doesn't alter the knee damage or erase the allergy. It just overpowers one symptom of the problems. A really strong seasonal allergy can be overcome with desensitization( allergy shots). The other measures only cover symptoms and for the short term.

I know of a neutraceutical that works well for joint inflammation. It has a good record but doesn't really fix anything. It costs about $55.00 per month. That might be too much.

Cortisone can come back to bite years later. Even knowing that I was willing to have an injection in a toe joint. I draw the line at managing chronic allergy. I left the allergist who said that I was too sensitive for desensitization shots and should use prednisone forever

. Just as with benzos I had to find another doctor.  I am now on maintenance pollen shots and need no more than an  antihistamine  co-seasonally.

It's a shame that doctors don't check these drugs for their interference with benzo levels. They made this mistake six times during my taper. Telling them to remember that we are tapering benzos doesn't seem to get their attention. We must do this for ourselves.

Jana

Hey, Jana!  Well, I guess the cortisone shot isn't such a good idea until (or if ever) I get off this K taper!  :(  Oh well...  But I'm glad I wrote and asked.  My knee will probably be putting me in agony before the end of the summer, but I think I will chance it then - the pain is unbelievable!

As far as the allergies, the anti-pollen shots sound effective, but our only doctor's office charges incredible amounts for each time you go in for a shot.  I may make an appointment with my doc (and take him my latest taper chart).  I'll see if I could give myself my own shots - I've heard of people bringing their own supplies there (syringes and medicine) and having the nurse do it.  But that would make me another office call, even if a nurse did it and not a doc.  :tickedoff:  If I could give the shot in my thigh, I could do it myself.  I already give myself my own IM B-12 shots.  We'll see...

The reason I'm bringing the taper chart is that I'm down to about 1/2 bottle of my liquid K.  I'd like to get another prescription for it while I'm there.  I wouldn't fill it until my present bottle runs out.

http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/sign/sign0006.gif I've been rather distracted about my kitties' situation and the tainted Hills Prescription Diet M/D food they ate back in January and how I'd pay for testing all of them.  I heard Hills was donating $100 for testing at-risk pets, but I didn't know if it was "per owner" or "per animal".  But I finally got some good news!  Our Vet Tech called me today and said that the Hills rep had been there earlier and the company has got a new testing plan.  I don't know what their criteria was but all 3 of my kitties qualified and will be tested for free:yippee:  Of course, I still have to worry about the test results...  But at least I don't have all those testing fees to pay.  I'm not saying I love Hill, but at least they are doing something to try to help in this situation (plus, of course, it's good "PR").  I take them in on Friday, the 13th (the first opening they have).  It's a good thing I'm not superstituous!  ;)

(Back on Topic)  I'm sorry to use up your space here, but I'm so worn out between being tired from my taper, worrying about my kitties and "mopping up" every orifice in my face, that I didn't have the strength to write 2 PM's to Jana and another sympathetic "Buddy".

Everyone take care.  "This too shall pass."  (Who said that??  Benzo brain here!)

Sue  :crazy:

http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/fighting/fighting0040.gif

"May the Force be with you!  Beat Benzos!"

[2e...]

Hi Sue,

Knowing the severity of your osteoarthritis, I'd do it. The steroid won't flood your body. It will be gradually absorbed.

Yesterday I had something like a fuel line block and had to be towed. Then I went home via taxi; dog and big bag of Iams Active Maturity came with me. The driver was very upset about his cat. It now gets canned fish. People everywhere are worried. The extent of the toxin problem isn't yet known. I learned that cats are just more susceptible to toxins anyway. Anyway I bought red meat for my dog. I'll be crossing over to home made food even if this Iams is still okay.Who knows what will be poisoned tomorrow?  Now I hear that  processed food for people can contain melamine. I'm glad that I make everything from basic ingredients.

Almost no allergists today will go for our doing our own shots. My allergist insists that I carry an Epipen with me even when they do the shots. The shots are done by a nurse though, and it isn't an office visit. That would be truly outrageous.  :tickedoff:

I used to give doggy allergy shots. They didn't work well. The people shots do work. :yippee:

Jana