the whole think at night, but have found that by spreading the the dosing out

every four hours has stopped the extreme panic, desparation and horrifying

saddness I felt.  I did not realize that I had become tolerant and thought

that I was slipping into maddness.  I prayed to God for help as I did not want

to day a mad woman.  I was so close to going back to my Psych and just

telling him out bad I was, but thank you Lord, I found out on the internet

about the awful truth.  Now, I am pretty stable and just attribute my onset

of crying as a "benzo blast". 

I am glad that I can tell someone who understands about my experiences.

Carole

Hi Carole,

You seem to have found out two important truths: if we become tolerant (and we all will if we take benzos for long enough), we are probably going to suffer interdose withdrawal symptoms - switching to spreading the dose over the day should address this issue; changing our regimen can cause its own problems, but usually these are short lived. This is why we need to make these changes gradually, just as we should taper off gradually.

You should find that because you have addressed the interdose withdrawal issue, and as your dose dwindles, you will begin to feel more lucid and in control. You have already started the process - you will get there. Unfortunately, some never get to the position where they even realise where the problems lies, and so will probably take these drugs for life.

[11...]

Hi Carole

So many people go through unnecessary torment because they don't realize that the  emotional craziness is caused by benzo W/D. Then their doctors reinforce that idea and offer nothing but more drugs. I'm awfully glad that you discovered the fallacy.  :thumbsup:

Whatever you can do to make your doses more even will help to avoid this awful problem.

Yes, I haven't heard of anyone tapering from temazepam either. Since it doesn't have the advantage of Valium, it's even more important to keep doses regular and even.

Jana

Hi Jana,

I have been keeping my doses as follows:

5:30 am  1 teaspoon

9:30 am  1/2 teaspoon

1:30 pm  1/2 teaspoon

5:30 pm  1/2 teaspoon

9:30 pm  1 teaspoon

My worst symptoms are buzzing in the head, hot flushes, anxiety, depression

and afraid to go out of the house.

I am going to stay on this dose--15.5 mg total Temazepan for this week and

then change either morning or evening dose to 1/2 teaspoon. 

Your Milk idea has been a life saver for me.  It really does distribute the

capsule evenly.

Thanks,

Carole

Hi Carole,

I wanted to do a temazepam taper, but now I'm considering switching to clonazepam. I'm sorry you've had such an awful experience, and I'm so glad you found the information you needed.

I'm feeling  like I'm still in denial about the seriousness of my situation. I work full time. This week, I've been home with a sore throat, so I've had more time to work on my benzo decisions. I'm afraid of getting fired or having to quit because I won't be able to work once I stop the temazepam. It's not the side effects I'm worried about (although I probably should be) but the nocturia (frequent night urination) that the drug has helped reduce. We can live on my husband's salary. It's not like I'll be on the street. I just need to get my priorities straight. My hearing, my health, my mental health etc are more important than anything.

I have more subtle side effects than most people it seems. I feel a low level of sadness, anxiety, tension and I definitely have the benzo fog and memory problems.

Thanks for posting about yourself. Good luck.

Christine

[11...]

Hi Christine,

Daily titration looks like your best bet. With titration, you don't make a cut and wait for whatever will happen, recover, and do it again. The decline in benzo levels is very slow and constant, and then one day you're at zero mgs.  The body recovers as the dose is minutely lowered.

Okay, I simplified it. Some adjustments are usually needed as we move along. Still, if you need to function every day, this is the safest way to do it.

Jana

Hi Christine,

In your post to the Welcome thread, you indicated that you'd like to withdraw directly for Temazepam - this is a valid thing to do. Switching can be difficult for some, whilst for others staying with their present short half-life benzo can be the tougher option. The truth is there is no guarantee with any route we decide to take. We read about around, and make the choice that seems to best fit with how we feel. Whatever your decision, we will help you as much as we can.

Take care.