Dr Would rather wean 100 off of Heroin than 1 person off of XANAX SF News

[mt...]

Hi All

Here is a link to a video that appeared last week on San Francisco Bay Area Channel 3.  Well there is some well intented ALARMS voiced in this piece but of course still not spelling out the difference between ADDICTION and DEPENDENCE-CLEARLY.  I think I will email the reporter-sure wish she had interviewed me!

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/video/#!/news/health/High-Anxiety-Kicking-Xanax/133581238

Warning Website is very slow!

Hi . Glad you posted this.  I stayed up to watch it and dvr it.  I plan on writing a long letter to the reporter (have her name written down)' give her more info, the need to take this report to the next level.  Thanks again, pattylu

I'm glad someone is looking a bull straight in it's face!  Good luck to emailing the writer/producer.  And yes, will someone PLEASE explain the difference between addiction and dependence already?!?!?! 

Addiction is "scoring" benzos on the street; Dependence is taking your prescribed medication so you don't have a seizure.  What ever happens before that point is moot.

I'm not saying benzos aren't medically necessary-- They are, indeed, for epilepsy, debilitating anxiety, etc.  I think they should be moved up a few schedules in the Controlled Substances area.  I think they are a Schedule 4 or 5, which means "minimal risk for dependence".  Hah! 

Hi . Glad you posted this.  I stayed up to watch it and dvr it.  I plan on writing a long letter to the reporter (have her name written down)' give her more info, the need to take this report to the next level.  Thanks again, pattylu

Bless your heart for doing this.  Not even the death of Michael Jackson got benzos REAL attention.  That speaks volumes to me.  Let us know if they receive the letter and if they are willing to talk to you.  Here is a "quicker" link...

http://youtu.be/BXR4MhJBrMo

Kian