Ontario's narcotics strategy; They've noticed the problem, hope they can fix it.

[Kc...]

There was a public service announcement in my local news paper today, so I checked out the web site it directed me to, and benzos are on the list of the controlled substances that are causing problems. It doesn't fix things right now, but at least my provincial government is acknowledging the problem, finally...It's a start, I hope something good comes of this so that people will stop getting hurt.

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/programs/drugs/ons/

It seems this is directed at the diversion and abuse of prescription drugs, not restricting the practice of prescribing benzodiazepines to legitimate patients.

People who will want to use benzos recreationally will find a way.

But I'm not Canadian, so what do I know.

Agreed, I don't put much stock in it either, people will get what they want if they are abusing them, but they are also going to begin monitoring safer prescribing practices to avoid addiction, and keep better tabs on how docs are prescribing them, hopefully they notice when doctors are prescribing them for too long, or at too high doses. When I was still taking benzos it was so easy to get more whenever I wanted if I ran out, now all prescriptions have to go through a computerised system and are reported to the health board, no more prescription pads, they are also working on stopping dangerous drug interactions by overseeing what the doctors are handing out. I was also reading that they are going to work on educating doctors better about the dangers of these drugs. I'm just glad they recognise benzos as a problem drug. I'm sure it will be years before anything worthwhile is done about it, but them recognizing that benzos are dangerous and ruin lives is a start that wasn't there before.

Hi Mc Lee,

I live in Ontario, too, and I am glad to see that they are at least going to monitor them. Sometimes measuring and counting is the first step to changing things; observation can change behaviour. I hope so. I am so glad you shared this and glad the benzos are on the list.  Let's hope it is one step in making a difference.