Xanax Nation.. Inventor of Valium Says Clinical Trials Were not Very Big

[Ch...]

The article isn't entirely accurate.

'Perhaps a bigger problem is that there are so many good generic psychiatric drugs available now that it is perceived as being hard to improve on them.'

Good ? Almost all psychiatric drugs come with major side effects, cause long term damage or are hard to withdraw from.

'I think it is basically a cop-out," says Lieberman. He says that existing drugs for depression, schizophrenia and bipolar disorder aren't powerful enough to help many patients. '

Not powerful enough ? Are you kidding ?

Drugs like Haldol, Risperdal, Zyprexa, Cymbalta, Paxil, Lexapro, Lithium, Lyrica are very powerful.

The issue isn't that the drugs are not powerful enough, the issue is that these drugs alter brain function AND DO NOT CURE. They may help some people in some ways, but they do not cure people like an antibiotic would cure people from a dangerous bacterial infection.

The promise that psychiatric drugs will at some point in the future cure people has never been more than a promise.

To expand on what you were saying Liberty:

"I think it is basically a cop-out," says Lieberman. He says that existing drugs for depression, schizophrenia and bipolar disorder aren't powerful enough to help many patients. "Companies have a huge opportunity, a huge unmet need, the prospects of significant progress--but they're running for safer, easier markets. It certainly isn't making a statement that companies are committed to trying to provide better treatments for devastating illnesses."

1.  "but they're running for safer, easier markets"...because there is less litigation

2.  "It certainly isn't making a statement that companies are committed to trying to provide better treatments for devastating illnesses" --These companies ARE committed...to their executves and shareholders

• 5 weeks later...

To expand on what you were saying Liberty:

"I think it is basically a cop-out," says Lieberman. He says that existing drugs for depression, schizophrenia and bipolar disorder aren't powerful enough to help many patients. "Companies have a huge opportunity, a huge unmet need, the prospects of significant progress--but they're running for safer, easier markets. It certainly isn't making a statement that companies are committed to trying to provide better treatments for devastating illnesses."

1.  "but they're running for safer, easier markets"...because there is less litigation

2.  "It certainly isn't making a statement that companies are committed to trying to provide better treatments for devastating illnesses" --These companies ARE committed...to their executves and shareholders

right on target wisewoman!! safer markets like children and animals now. I "had" a friend that gave his little boy paxil at three years old. he was on an antidepressant too and took his life last year. the little boy is now in college and doing fine after being off the paxil. his mother is on k for life. I watched "the medicated child" last week. One doctor wanted to prescribe xanax to a 3 yo, go figure.

[91...]
Drugs like Haldol, Risperdal, Zyprexa, Cymbalta, Paxil, Lexapro, Lithium, Lyrica are very powerful.

These drugs are very strong!

Haldol will put you in a state of numbness.. period!

Risperdal well it actually helped me. I am not going to lie.

Zyprexa has over 3,000 side effects.

When on Zyprexa I slept all day!

Cymbalta- never tried it and no plans too.

Paxil- kills your libido, not to mention folks have had a sensitive CNS from c/t it. (Seizures from it too).

Lexapro- Make sure you don't have asthma!

Lyrica- Done nothing for me.. made me feel stoned.

Lithium- It helped me, not going to lie.. but I can live without it! I was on it several times.

[91...]
right on target wisewoman!! safer markets like children and animals now. I "had" a friend that gave his little boy paxil at three years old. he was on an antidepressant too and took his life last year. the little boy is now in college and doing fine after being off the paxil. his mother is on k for life. I watched "the medicated child" last week. One doctor wanted to prescribe xanax to a 3 yo, go figure.

That's sad!