One Doctor's View on Xanax.. Claims it to be the least popular Benzo

[Ch...]

Article:http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2011/10/04/is-there-a-wrong-way-to-detox-off-xanax/

Excerpts:

Evidence of Knowledge:

So patience is of great importance for successfully weaning oneself from Xanax. Under the guidance of a physician, the detox can often be made easier by switching from Xanax to an equivalent dosage of a benzodiazepine with a long half-life such as Klonopin or Librium, and then gradually tapering off that agent.

Evidence of Naivety:

Many year’s worth of long-term data suggest that they do not cause significant harm, even when taken for long periods.

There is a comment section..

Christopher

Thank you for posting that article.  I replied but sadly they don't have spellcheck  :( .  That aside thank you for keeping me...us informed of what's going on out there!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Christopher!

yeah, he seems to have some things right. At least they are talking about it, for thst im glad.

Thanks for keeping me informed.

• 2 weeks later...
[ae...]

Xanax is right up there with Klonopin.

It is handed out like candy.

I was on xanax a short time. I couldn't tolerate it. Made me forget everything I did, and it induced a fit on me.

The doctor at the time tried switching me from klonopin to xanax. He free willingly gave me 200 2mg Bars.

He had no problem with it!

It's a business; there is no therapy in it whatsoever.

OMG. That's so stupid.

'well-known drugs as Valium, Klonopin and Ativan, promote relaxation and sleep by making it harder for brain cells to fire.'

Why would making it harder for brain cells to fire promote sleep ?

That's such a stupid thing to say.

For me, Klonopin doesn't promote sleep at all and as far as relaxation goes, it's a mixed sedation/stimulation thing.

For me, Valium and Ativan don't promote sleep either.

I'm not alone in this.

'Xanax has a very short half-life, which is a fancy way of saying that it goes into and out of the body very quickly. This property appears to make Xanax even more likely to cause emotional and physical dependency than other benzodiazepines'

Wrong again.

A very short half life does not create more physical dependency.

The longer the half life, the longer the body interacts with the drug and more potential for physical dependency.

Xanax has a half life of 11-12 hours ? That's not short. There is a difference between duration of action and half life.

'The short half-life means people will often start withdrawing from Xanax between scheduled doses, which tends to powerfully reinforce their psychological dependency of the medication.'

At least they'll notice they are becoming dependent !

'from Xanax to an equivalent dosage of a benzodiazepine with a long half-life such as Klonopin or Librium'

Klonopin ? That's dangerous. They shouldn't prescribe a drug that was marketed for epilepsy so readily.

'Many year’s worth of long-term data suggest that they do not cause significant harm, even when taken for long periods.'

He probably believes the same thing about antipsychotics and antidepressants.

And if there is a problem it's the 'underlying condition' !

So much for an 'expert'.