Addiction by Prescription: Probably not new.....

[ha...]

My apologies if this topic has been covered. I didn't make it through all the threads. It is "old" literature and I expect for many here, old news, too.

Addiction by prescription

CTV News - CTV Television, 11/2006, p. 1

... in favour of this...a class of drugs called opiodes, better known as prescription painkillers. BENEDIKT FISCHER (Centre for Addictions Research of BC): It means...

Addiction on prescription

by Hampshire, Mary

Nursing standard (Royal College of Nursing (Great Britain) : 1987), ISSN 0029-6570, 08/2004, Volume 18, Issue 50, p. 16

... of tranquilliser addiction,' says Ms Kay. There are around a million people in the UK on long-term prescriptions of benzodiazepines. In February, the chief medical officer... Anti-Anxiety Agents - adverse effects, Benzodiazepines - adverse effects, Substance-Related Disorders - etiology, Substance-Related Disorders - prevention & control, Substance Abuse Treatment Centers - organization & administration

Not ready to be an outspoken advocate against benzos, by any means, yet. I still have to move through and out of the taper process. But if Benzoz in the News is old - how can we make it new?

Hanna,

Welcome.  I see that you are new here.  I hope you find what you need to get your taper going.  As for the news being old or new, I personally could care less as I like to see as much as possible on this subject.  So please post away.  :thumbsup:

I usually post updates here from the APPGITA website.  It's a parliamentary group in the UK that has formed to raise awareness of Benzodiazepines and the Involuntary addictions they create.  They are also trying to convince the Health Minister to setup facilities to help with w/d.  I believe that any progress they make there will eventually be emulated here.  That's the hope at least.

As for news here in the US, I have setup news alerts with keywords to my email.  Most of the stories that come out today are about benzo abuse by non patients.  In other words, recreational users.  Every now and then there is a good story though about our situation.

This is one of the most informative sites on Benzos and has an enormous amount of knowledge.  It also has links to basically all aspects of the benzo world.

http://www.benzo.org.uk/index.htm

Christopher,

Thanks for the links! I will go through those. I think the UK is farther ahead than N. America in addressing benzo issues. It seems that there is an MP who is active.

I have seen information about recreation use, too, but little in the popular press about our issues. I have seen some in the psych. journals that I can find on line, but that information does not seem to be picked up by prescribers of benzos.

I will try to follow the literature. I expect it will be a long time before I get to feeling that I can contribute my own diatribe, but would like to at the end of all this withdrawal.

Thank you for the good wishes!