Manufacturing Addiction-Canadian Women's Health Network

[Ni...]

There is a number to call in Canada within the link for more information if you or anyone you know has an addiction to tranquilizers and/or sleeping pills.

This site offers information on the history of benzos and statistical information on involuntary benzo addiction:

http://www.cwhn.ca/en/node/39526

thank you so much for this...just read it to my husband and all he could do was shake his head.  SO much information and yet they are still prescribed so widely.

ALL the best to you,

Schatje

You're welcome Schatje, I read the home page and it looks like it might be a very helpful site for Canadians to find benzo-wise medical providers. :)

Thanks for this Nicholette,

We just need so much more of these kinds of papers world wide.  I printed it out and will pass it around as the opportunity arises.

pianogirl

You're welcome, pianogirl. Every time I find something I email it to myself so that I will have a collection. There are a few things I have printed-off...and yes, we need more of this world-wide. I'll keep searching.

Nicolette, looks like you are finally finding the statistical information you have been searching for (not that I ever had any doubts :laugh:).

This looks like a large organization...very encouraging. :thumbsup:

Look at some of these stats.

1)Poverty:

According to BC's Provincial Health Officer, Dr. Perry Kendall, benzodiazepines may be used to numb patients to the physical and mental pain of poverty and harsh reality.

**IMO THIS happens a lot with psyche drugs period. A persons life situation or socio-economically bad life from the "get go" gets turned into something else. And I don' like it. A hard life is the "new disorder."

No incentive for the Gov to change things and make a quality of life attainable for everyone. It's more profitable to blame the individual unable to cope with a bad situation.

2)Aboriginal Women

One in three status Aboriginal women over 40 in Western Canada was prescribed tranquilizers or sleeping pills in 2000. Aboriginal women are almost twice as likely to receive tranquilizer prescriptions as Aboriginal men.

3)Senior Women

Up to 50 percent of all women over 60 in Canada may be prescribed tranquilizers or sleeping pills. Long-term care facilities, which have a higher proportion of female residents, also have high levels of benzodiazepine prescription rates.

==

When women go to their doctor with comparable symptoms, they are more likely than men to be prescribed benzodiazepines.

Physicians prescribe benzodiazepines and sleeping pills to help women cope with work or family stress, pre-menstrual syndrome, grief, and adjustment to life events, such as childbirth and menopause, or for chronic illness and pain. Non-drug treatments for these circumstances and conditions continue to be under-promoted and underused.

Good links Nicolette.

I know VG, this is infuriating for people who are already dis-empowered, I have worked with indigenous populations quite a bit. I am going to call the number that is in this link. I think the Canadian Women's Health Network sounds like a great resource, not only for women, but for benzo suffers in general. Hopefully they might have more info for other countries as well.

I hope you are doing well VG. I'm having a hard time with my taper. I will continue to taper none-the-less. :smitten:

Nic xoxo