Pill Intervention on A&E August 22

[Ni...]

I just saw a commercial on teevee that there is going to be a show on A&E on August 22. The show is called 'Intervention' and it's about a woman on Xanax. I will try to record it because I won't be home tomorrow night. It will be interesting to see how they portray this woman's issues with a benzo, from the short clip of the commercial, I'm not sure the dilemma is understood.

I think the show 'Intervention' is about getting people into rehab.

Hi Nicolette,

Intervention is a show about trying to get people into rehab. You will notice that benzos are never mentioned. I'm surprised they are doing one on Xanax. I probably couldn't watch it because I'm guessing it could be the worst of the worst and I know it will probably ramp my anxiety.

I will be curious to see how they do it.

Pam

I am so scared for her. I can't watch it either. They'll take her to rehap.  :'(  :'(  I saw the preview and now flip the channel even when I see that.

They said she is up to 14 xanax a day. And she tells her family she needs to take them all in order to relax. We all know what that means. And in the episode preview didn't one of the family members say, "She doesn't need 14 to relax" or something like that?

If they only knew. So sad.  :-\

I didn't see the preview about her being up to 14 Xanax a day. It sounded like a family 'drama'. One family member was helping her get Xanax and some of the others were trying to stop her. My impression was they thought she was psychologically addicted or something. I'm not sure I can watch it either, but it would be nice if they had an expert (a real expert) that explained what happens once someone becomes physically dependent on a benzo. You know they make some of those shows for the 'drama' aspect of it and 'ratings'.

Hey,

The gist I caught from it was she was living with a much older man and they made it out like he supplied her as this was the only way he could keep her  :( and the family wanted him out of the pic to get her help.

I could be wrong.

I sure would be nice to have a real expert with benzos as you say. In our dreams. It would help a lot of people wouldn't it?

I've never like this whole reality TV deal anyway for a lot of reasons. And you're right about the ratings and drama.

I'm watching it now.  She took heroin for two months, and has been addicted to methadone for 8 years, what a joke.  Anyway, she takes the Xanax to intensify the effects of the methadone, apparently the combination of the two produces a heroin high.  Sure glad the methadone clinics are there to help heroin users get free so they can be addicted it methadone for the rest of their lives.  >:(

I'll keep you posted, but the show is less about Xanax and more about her other addictions.  It will be interesting to see if she goes into rehab and the post rehab comments. 

Well they interviewed her 10 weeks later and she looked great, and was happy and peaceful, no wonder no one believes us, sheesh.  :tickedoff:

You have go to be kidding? No wonder no one believes us is right.

I didn't know that about heroin? She was on heroin for 2 months and now addicted to methadone. So they get addicted to methadone for life?

Why do heroin users get such long withdrawal timelines crossing from one drug to another, (and isn't the actual tapering timeline longer for them?), if after detox they can be fine after a month or so? None of this makes any sense............................. :-\

I didn't see it because I had to be somewhere else. I wish they would show someone who unwittingly became physically dependent on a benzo and then explained the proper way to taper someone. There are a lot of people out there that could have helped. It sounds like the show just made it all the more confusing for benzo patients. Sheesh, is right.  :crazy:

I saw this post then looked to see if it came on again tonight and hit record. I was glad to see that benzos might be addressed. Then I saw your post after I found the show, Pamster. No point in watching it  ::) This makes me so mad. I wish Dr.Drew or any of them would help.

Watched it online just now...it was a bit of a joke w/ all things considering.  They didn't even really touch how harmful Benzos are...and like Pamster said, she was "serene and peaceful" only 10 weeks later.  There was NO discussion of how horrible Benzos are to come off.  Disappointing, but not surprised w/ it being an hour long show.  It was more about the drama of her life than the drugs in my opinion.

Love to all,

Schatje

There was one episode that focused on a young guy who was addicted to benzos, but like this one, they didn't really touch on the severity of it.

I watch this show a lot, I love it...except when people relapse or commit suicide. The one thing you notice though is that they ALWAYS look better in the 10 week  interview, even if 2 months later they kill themselves. As far as the benzo's are concerned, they never state what other drugs they put her on. The difference between us and them is that we decide to do this drug free most of the time. The people in rehab or on shows like this are usually put on one or more other drugs that have to be withdrawn as well down the road. My guess is she was put on an Antidepressant and lyrica or an  antiepileptic like lamactil.

When I was in detox there was a woman in there for benzo addiction.  She was a nurse and got into trouble with the law because she stole a few sheets off a prescription pad and filled it in for benzo's and took it to a pharmacy.  When I told her about the w/d I was feeling she just gave me the blank stare we have all seen so often when we talk about this.  She was fine and just was in there for the reason that the treatment center she was going to required that she be in detox for five days prior to entering their facility.  The point is that even if Intervention ever does a show on a benzo addict ... likely the person will not be one who suffers as we do.  I'm sorry it is so demoralizing.  The big difference is that most of us did not abuse the drugs ... the drugs abused us when we took them following doctors orders.

Once again this comes down to the difference between addiction and dependency. That show (from what I have see) focuses on addiction. People who are on that show are pill poppers. If the person does turn out to have a dependency issue do you think they are going to air that? They have to have a plot like every other show-  situation, conflict, climax, resolution. Someone has to pay the camera crew to follow folks around. If the person turns out to have serious issues a few months after stopping the drugs it isn't going to fit into the template of the show and they probably aren't interested in shelling out the extra $$$$ to follow it through.

Bottom line- our specific problem with these drugs doesn't fit into their show.

Once again this comes down to the difference between addiction and dependency. That show (from what I have see) focuses on addiction. People who are on that show are pill poppers. If the person does turn out to have a dependency issue do you think they are going to air that? They have to have a plot like every other show-  situation, conflict, climax, resolution. Someone has to pay the camera crew to follow folks around. If the person turns out to have serious issues a few months after stopping the drugs it isn't going to fit into the template of the show and they probably aren't interested in shelling out the extra $$$$ to follow it through.

Bottom line- our specific problem with these drugs doesn't fit into their show.

Then maybe it fits another one...  We can't expect this kind of television to tell the truth in this matter.  Nothing good comes that easy.  There is no motive for them to do so.  Besides Im sure they fear the rath of pharma being that they are a nationwide network.  If we wish to have our story told it won't be through this medium.  We'd have to have our own.

Christopher

There was a show on a while back about a kid who was strung out on opiates and xanax.  I read the update on their website where it said he had successfully kicked the opiates but could not stop taking the benzos after several attempts.  Of course, this was never discussed on television so nobody would ever know about this.

Yes, I guess some one wanting to get off of a benzo wouldn't fit the narrative of a show called "Intervention", that would be an oxymoron.