A new life at age 63! Tiffany's short term use and CT recovery

[cu...]

I got a letter today from Tiffany, she urged me to share her story to anyone who will listen.

Yes, I was a short-time user (approx. 3 1/2 months).  I had problems while on them, and did what you did, quite taking them, because of a huge red rash on my upper left chest and arm.  That did it, and I quite... had to.  I was so ill I couldn't do anything, not even take a shower, had to take baths.  I was very, very ill, had so many symptoms:  Dizziness, nausea, heart palpitations, seeing spots, stomach cramps, lack of concentration, chills, sweating, metallic taste in mouth, racing pulse, sensitivity to light, sound and touch, fear, pre-panic attacks, anxiety, nervous, thinking I was going to die, depression, dry raw mouth, aching and throbbing teeth, tinnitus, rashes, trembling, loss of appetite, burning under skin, flu-like feeling in muscles, vibratating muscles, insomnia, weight gain, dp/dr, seeing lightening flashes, hair loss, abscessed tooth.  I'm sure there are a few more, and I know this is probably boring to read, but I want to be sure that you know all the symptoms these drugs can cause.

Each individual is different and the symptoms vary somewhat, but the end result is the same... w/d symptoms and suffering.  My advise is to NEVER take this drug again, and remember, they are prescribed in many different names.  If you stay with this site, these people are great, and they will inform you, and help you get through any emotional issues you may be encountering.  And, of course, I had some psychological issues, which I mentioned above in my list.  These symptoms are pretty typical of w/d symptoms.

I'll try to explain what benzo's do to the CNS, in simple terms.  Benzo's take over the natural neurons in the CNS, which give out signals, to control our organ functions.  And, once you take benz'o, these natural responses are CUT off.  And, that is why we have w/d symptoms, either when cutting back or stopppng.  Because at that point, the CNS doesn't know what to do, as these neurons have been disconnected.  It take a very long time for the CNS to rewire or heal.  And, each of us is different in how long it will take, it varies from person-to-person.

You will find that you may have many different types of symptoms, and the best we can do is to take good care of ourselves.  I had to eat very bland foods, avoid stress, sleep when I could, but also to walk or do any type of exercise that I felt I could handle.  It was one small step at a time.  After two years, I felt much better, but it was a long process.  Today, I am fully functional, except for  few lingering symptoms, such s; mild tinitus, mild burning under my skin and muscle vibrations during sleep hours.  My mouth is always raw, but nothing like it was (use to have cracked lips), still slightly sensitive to too much excitement.  Overall, I am doing very well, but hoping to soon have ZERO symptoms.

I had both depersonalization and derealization for quite some time ,I felt like I was in another world, looking in.  I know it is scary, but given time, it will all go away.

I would advise you to NOT take any type of supplements, as they certainly do have an affect on w/d symptoms.  I stayed away from everything, and only ate bland, mild foods.  it's best to just eat natural foods, rather than take any types of supplements or even vitamins, as they can affect your symptoms.  Minor things can set w/d symptoms off, and at tmes, they will just pop up, go away, and return again.  Most people going through w/d say that these w/d symptoms are a sign of healing.  Try not to pay too much attention to them, because worrying about them, or focusing on them, can make your symptoms worse.  Remember, you are in a fragile state, physically and mentally... be kind to yourself, be patient, and keep your mind busy with happy things that you like to do.  What you are feeling is typical of w/d symptoms!

At 17 months off of benzo's, I was still going through many symptoms, but they were less severe, and not as often.  At two years off, everything got unbelieveable better, and now I am almost at the end of all of it.

You are going to get completely well, but you must go with the flow of your feelings for now, don't fight them... you are healing.

Also, it is wise not to drink alcohol, or take any other medications, unless absolutely necessary.  If you need any type of medication or an antibiotic, ask one of the administrators on the site which are better to take.  You are in a super-sensitive state right now, and everything you do or eat is very important.

And, yes, you can post my experiece wherever it will help those who are also going through benzo w/d symptoms.

I can tell you, after going through this for over 3 1/2 years, to stay the course, and you will be well again. I wish you all the best, and pray that you will heal quickly, and it is possible, as I am 63 years old, and you are very young.  Hang in there, you'll make it through.

Tiffany

Thank you so much Cupcake for sharing these success stories with us....and please thank Tiffany.

There are many older buddies who will be happy to read this story.    :)

Yes, I was a short-time user (approx. 3 1/2 months).  I had problems while on them, and did what you did, quite taking them, because of a huge red rash on my upper left chest and arm.  That did it, and I quite... had to...

Sounds like Tiffany might have had Shingles.  A rash that appears on one side of the body is often a tell tile sign of the Shingles virus.  I got it one month after my taper ended, but it was on my forehead and migrated down my 5th trigeminal nerve and around my eye orbit.  One can lose vision from Opthamalic shingles but I was fortunate to get an early diagnosis and get to the doctor within 48 hours of the rash outbreak.  They say that starting antiviral meds (which I did) can shorten the healing time and possibly the severity of Shingles outbreak.  By the way, you don't have to be in your fifties or sixties to get Shingles.  I was in my forties and the doctor said more and more college students and "young" people are getting it due to stress.  And I know of several buddies (actually about four or five)  here on forum who have had Shingles.  The CNS can be impacted by benzo withdrawal and stress in different ways.  Anyway, thanks for posting the story Cupcake.  I just wanted to comment on Shingles and the importance of all buddies knowing to  see a doctor as soon as possible if one gets a rash that is asymmetrical (on one side of the body or face).  I was fortunate that I went to urgent care and my doctor diagnosed it quickly . I've heard of some doctors misdiagnosing poison ivy so if it's on one side of the body, be sure to mention "Shingles" to whoever you see.

By the way Tiffany, is the burning sensation under your skin around where your rash was?  That could be post herpetic neuralgia which does happen sometimes with Shingles.  Unfortunately, I don't think there's a whole lot one can do about it.  Some doctors prescribe neuronten but I've stayed clear of those kinds of meds.  I still get mild tingling where my rash broke out and it's been 19 months.  I got it about six weeks after my valium taper ended in November 2009.  So much of what Cupcake posted for you has been my experience too. I feel like the "rewiring" and healing of my CNS took me a good 18 months after the taper.  Whether that was complicated by getting Shingles so soon after the taper ended, I don't know.

Vertigo

Thanks for sharing Tiffany's story, cupcake.  I do want to mention that Vertigo is correct about getting a diagnosis of a skin rash that is on one side of the body to make sure it isn't shingles.  Usually you will have pain in the rash area.  I had many rashes during this process along with odd bumps, etc. that would come and go.  We never know how our body is going to react to withdrawals.

Patty  xo

hey cupcake ,i was just wondering if this woman had all these sx she mentions before ever going c/t or whether they started after and during wd.

I did forward these questions to her. She did mention to me she had some problems when she was on it. I am expecting another letter from her today.

xxoo

cupcake

Okay here's my newest letter from Tiffany.

Hi Ari,

No, I do not have shingles at all, the burning is throughout my body, under the skin (definitely caused from benzo's), but mild, and it only seems to happen while sleeping, along with the mild vibratating muscles. I beleive that shingles is caused from chickenpox, which you may have had when you were a child, and the virus may act up once again, at any age, and cause shingles. I'm sure it is also due to benzo's, as benzo's do mess up our immune system, and also our hormones. That is why I said that the after effect of benzo's on our CNS, can cause any type of problems in our body... it affects everything.

I have learned to watch what I eat, and that is actually a good thing, as before I did not. I realize how much better I feel when I eat natural foods. I don't eat any cereal that is not 'all natural', without high fructose corn syrup (large doeses of sugar), and other crap such as BHT. Try to feed your children all natural foods also. I eat fruit, as any fruit is very good for you. I also eat, at least, 30 mixed nuts/day. I drink a glass of OJ in the morning, then one-half cup of coffee with milk. I do not eat any deli meat or processed meat, only the real thing. I do not eat any white bread or pasta, only whole wheat bread and pasta. Wheat pasta is good for you, and tastes good too. I stay away from any spicy foods, or foods that have preservatives in them (bad stuff).

Hugs,

Tiffany

What a wonderful and very encouraging story. Thank you cupcake for posting it. Thank you Tiffany for sharing it with us. This does give me hope that I will heal some day too.

Rain

• 2 years later...

Thank you cupcake and Tiffany.  :thumbsup:

I am also a short term user and in my late 60's so this success story is very encouraging.  Thank you so much for posting it and hope Tiffany will continue to share how she is progressing.  Please give her a big up hug from me and my hopes for her continued improvement.  God bless you both.

:smitten:

Galea

Thanks to both of you. Very encouraging post...so happy you are over the worst and healing.

Be well and enjoy your reclaimed life. :thumbsup:

• 8 years later...

Your friend Tiffany wrote this when she was at month 42:

"Today, I am fully functional, except for  few lingering symptoms, such s; mild tinitus, mild burning under my skin and muscle vibrations during sleep hours.  My mouth is always raw, but nothing like it was (use to have cracked lips), still slightly sensitive to too much excitement.  Overall, I am doing very well, but hoping to soon have ZERO symptoms."

At which month was she 100 % healed ?

I would appreciate an update.

Thanks.