Wonderful article by Dr. Charles Whitfield--Psych drugs as agents of trauma

[sh...]

Dr. Charles Whitfield  Psychiatric Drugs as Agents of Trauma

After an exhaustive search, I found this wonderful article that completely explains what I have found to be true.  Finally, a respected member of the medical community boldly states that there is no reason for most of us to be prescribed these drugs ever.

Here is the link--you may have to copy and paste.

IJRSM_Whitfield_PsychiatricDrugsAsAgentsOfTrauma

Whitfield is really informed. I've got a lot of his articles and papers. I like him.

This link which will get disabled but at least you have it and it shows on the second page by number the worst legal drugs and their repercussions and the toxicity level by number. Benzos make #4 and along with toxicity he states they have the longest and most painful withdrawal syndrome of any legal or illegal drug. Antipsychotics #1, AD's #2, Stimulants (Ridalin) #3, Anti-convulsants (He says "cleverly disguised as mood stablilizers" #5.)

http://www.musehousepress.com/Psychiatric_Drugs_As_Agents_of_Trauma_JRS508.pdf

You may want to add to your list Dr. Peter Breggin, and google, "Why I Never Recommend Psychiatric Medications" by Dr. Douglas C. Smith MD. He draws much the same conclusions as Dr. Whitfield.

I like that they are all medical doctors. Just with a different view. And Whitfield is indeed a psychiatrist. I believe Breggin just calls himself MD now but used to use Psychiatrist.  It shows there is a lot of ambiguity in the Psyche industry and unfortunately the general public is not taught there is another side. Usually it takes getting sick from a drug, side effects, that there is a whole other side to this with equally credible sources in medical doctors, and what we are taught to be true which is convey'd with the utmost certainty by the mainstream medical community, is in fact theory and speculation.  

At least knowing both sides, people can chose how they want to address their personal emotional health issues. That's only fair.

There seem to be a lot more communities with the likes of medical doctors like Whitfield then most are aware of simply because the "other" side of the industry has money fueled by the psychotropics they sell to market.

Check out Mind Freedom International and Psychologist Dr. John Breeding from Austin Texas if this side interests you.

Hi ShellMac,

That was an interesting article. I have a diagnosis of PTSD and I noticed Dr. Whitfield had a special category for that called DTSD. D for drugs.

I sometimes wonder if part of the PTSD dx is from the Xanax. When I didn't know about dosing regular, was trying to quit on my own and from a cold turkey, I had bad nightmares every night. That alone was traumatic. The cold turkey was traumatic.

I was also interested in the 'spell-binding' theory. I suppose since most benzos (maybe all) are hypnotics one could feel like they were under a spell. I know I have felt like I was in dream-like state at times. Dreams and nightmares, hmmm, I hadn't thought about that.

I am out of printer paper, otherwise I would have printed off the wheel diagram. The center being DTSD and then the nine spokes coming out of it describing the different aspects of DTSD. I was going to get paper tomorrow anyway. Thank you for sharing this with us.  :)

There are lots of interesting stuff now out about the soldiers returning home with PTSD.  The Vet docs are finding that drugs have no positive effect...currently the standard of care is putting them on a cocktail of drugs including antidepressants and benzos.  They are finding that specific talk therapy (with EMDR) and time (18-24 mos for every year of combat) is the most effective and safe treatment.

I recently read an article in the New York Times about it. 

Dr. Whitfield has a new book out that I want to get--not sure of the name of it though but it is on Amazon.

Shell

Thank you Shell, I'll have to read up on Dr. Whitfield more. I have read something about the soldiers and psych meds. I can't imagine how difficult that would be to deal with, with cocktails to withdraw of on top of it. IMO I don't think benzos are good for anything but short-term use in acute traumatic situations.

I know that cognitive behavior therapy is supposed to be good too. I bought a workbook on that, Feeling Good by David Burns. I haven't started it yet though.

I have heard of EMDR therapy and someone told be that's a good therapy. It sounds very different than conventional therapy. Does Dr. Whitfield write about it?

:)

Vancouvergirl - I read that whole link about Drug Stress Trauma Syndrome..I'm glad that some doctors are stepping up and realizing what is going on instead of lying to themselves or just being blind.  I personally have been a victim of an antipsychotic medication and I'm not crazy.  The vicious cycle occurs with me because I try to quit it and can't due to withdrawals that prevent me from sleeping (for a week+ at a time).  I'm not sure if he's right that benzo's cause the worst withdrawals (antipsychotics may be worse) but aside from that they are the worst in my opinion.  I really like this guy.  The problem with psychiatrists is they just see withdrawal from medication as part of some original condition..I've been told numerous times that my insomnia is due to this magical "bipolar" condition that I don't have.  I never have ups and downs, I'm not manic or depressed..ever.  They just needed a label and an excuse.  I would really love to find a doctor in practice like Whitfield (not sure if he's in practice or not) who can get me off of antipsychotics for good because I certainly do not need them anymore.  The reason I originally got on benzodiazepines was to try to help me to sleep without antipsychotics.  This worked for 2 weeks or so but the withdrawals of the antispychotics were eventually too powerful to overcome.

Hi GlenG, isn't that something with Dr. Whitfield and DTSD. And the cycle you're describing is all too prevalent and has become the norm today, for the most part. I understand were you are coming from completely and I am sorry you are having such a difficult time coming off of that med. I wanted to give you some extra info, it may or may not help you but who knows. Google mind freedom international. On the left side 5 columns down the button says MFI directory of alternatives and "click" there you can see in their network if there is a medical doctor in your area that can help you with this. In that area it explains what their medical professional providers agree to before becoming involved with this organization. The only other thing I could think of is the new websites for discontinuing AD's and they cover antipsychotics. Dr. Peter Breggin like Whittfield shares your views. He does Empathic Therapy. (emotional validation) and no meds or labels has a book called, Your Drug May be Your Problem. That may help you but it would be nicer for you to get live support from a medical doctor with views like yourself wouldn't it? I hope you can get this resolved GlenG. (I hope you don't mind me interrupting here Shellmac.)

This link which will get disabled but at least you have it and it shows on the second page by number the worst legal drugs and their repercussions and the toxicity level by number.

The link you provided fits into acceptable guidelines and will not be disabled.

Thankyou Pamster. I wasn't quite sure with that link.

And GlenG, perhaps Dr. Whitfield was saying benzos give the worse withdrawal, was though the withdrawals of these drugs are from the physical standpoint in that the brain changes, then changes back; I think and I could be wrong, (I've been wrong before lol), that most of these meds show this change through more emotional responses or reactions channels from the physical of withdrawal stress to the brain and trying to reach homeostasis.  

He may be one of the few Dr.'s that acknowledges along with the mental symptoms of benzowithdrawal, the physical side that some of us get as well.  I am by no means discounting the debilitating affect from the extreme psychological  side of withdrawal. I'm just saying, I think he was referring to the fact that with length, benzos can manifest both extreme psychological and harsh physical withdrawal. Just a thought. If only we could talk to some of these people to find out what they truly know about this.

Wow, that mind freedom site is seriously interesting.  I ran a search but I think most of the practicers in the area are from northern California rather than southern where I live.  There is one in Oakland which isn't quite as far (maybe 2 hours away).  There's also one in Santa Monica.  The personal stories are really interesting..I think I'm going to read more on this site as time goes on..I bookmarked it so I won't forget it.  I've never really seen something like this before..I found a couple of anti-psychiatry sites but most of them were run by nuts who believed crazy/irrational things.  One guy had killed his son while under the influence of an antidepressant and he was one of the owners of the site/organization..creepy.  This site seems really good on the other hand.

Hey GlynG, I'm glad you liked it. A psychiatrist Dr. Loren Mosher was affiliated with Mind freedom International.

Dr. Loren Mosher like Dr. Peter Breggin got a lot of flack by the American Psychiatric Association. He resigned from the board. Needless to say, these types of doctors, aren't getting paid by pharmeceutical companies. No conflict of interest.

Mainstream psychiatry and the above psychiatrists are on opposite sides of the fence. Dr. Loren Mosher passed in 2004. This was his title when he passed - Director of Soteria Associates, San Diego, and Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, School of Medicine, University of California, San Diego. (He did his residency at Harvard and his internship at Standford. He founded "Soteria Associates" and if you google Soteria Associates/Soteria, you can read his viewpoints.)

He was interviewed and spoke with author Robert Whittaker who wrote "Anatomy of an Epidemic." Good book addressing this "huge" controversy within the medical community among other things in this vein. Check out a book Mosher edited before passing, "Model of Madness."  (He's written others.)

He wrote or co-wrote the chapters:

* ‘Schizophrenia’ is not an illness,

* Drug companies and schizophrenia: unbridled capitalism meets madness,

* Non-hospital, non-drug intervention with first-episode psychosis

So there are many along the lines of Dr. Charles Whitfield then. And most people are unaware this exhists. Grave differences of opinion from very well educated medical doctors, in the SAME field. Psychiatry.

Hey GlynG, I'm glad you liked it. A psychiatrist Dr. Loren Mosher worked with Mind freedom.

Dr. Loren Mosher like Dr. Peter Breggin got a lot of flack by the American Psychiatric Association. Needless to say, these types of doctors, aren't getting paid by pharmeceutical companies. No conflict of interest.

Mainstream psychiatry and the above psychiatrists are on opposite sides of the fence. Dr. Loren Mosher passed in 2004. This was his title when he passed - Director of Soteria Associates, San Diego, and Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, School of Medicine, University of California, San Diego.

He was interviewed and spoke with author Robert Whittaker who wrote "Anatomy of an Epidemic." Good book addressing this "huge" controversy within the medical community among other things in this vein. Check out a book Mosher edited before passing, "Model of Madness."  (He's written others.)

He wrote or co-wrote the chapters:

* ‘Schizophrenia’ is not an illness,

* Drug companies and schizophrenia: unbridled capitalism meets madness,

* Non-hospital, non-drug intervention with first-episode psychosis

So there are many along the lines of Dr. Charles Whitfield then. And most people are unaware this exhists. Grave differences of opinion from very well educated medical doctors, in the SAME field. Psychiatry.

Hey guys, I plan on buying some more books myself, I have Benzo Wise, but I've read some reviews on Anatomy of an Epidemic and that one sounds good plus, Madness in America. Cerules (sp?) posted that he/she? was going to start a thread or two as book club with the books: Benzo Wise and the Benzo Book. I think it would be interesting if we did that with some of these other books too. It seems there are a circle of researchers who are trying to do something about all these psych drugs that are being prescribed. I'd like to see how their research compares with one another.

As VG says, there are researchers, psychiatrists and psycho-pharmacologists who are bucking the prevailing views of psych drugs.

VG,

What were Dr. Mosher's views on schizophrenia not being an illness? I'm curious to know because I've been to some lectures and read some very interesting stuff by Physical Anthropologists and Bio-neurologists who have theories about bi-polar and OCD as being adaptive strategies as homo sapiens evolved. My background is in Anthropology so I'm interested to know why Dr. Mosher thought schizophrenia was not an illness? There is a hereditary pre-disposition for developing it, researcher's with the Human Genome Project have found schizophrenia on specific genes.

I just edited my above post Nic.

Google Soteria Associate/Soteria and the first link will get you to the specific page of Dr. Mosher's viewpoints when you click on it. That's a page of his website.

The 5th across when you are on the home page is "Articles". It's a good read. He's extremely compassionate with his take on people. "Still Crazy" is a good read in Articles.  

We should start a thread with some of these books Nicolette. Good idea. Like you said, comparing research. I like that people can come up with their own conclusions, when given "two sides to every story" from the likes of the academics you've listed. They can then, research the research as well. Source the source! lol

Respectfully, not to discount what you're saying or to start debate, (I want to avoid that) "hot topic"  lol, The "model" through 'genetics' or 'society/familial upbringing influence' will be argued until the cows come home. No one will ever agree, not even medical doctors through research. I just want to present "carefully". I will say I personally don't believe much of the research that is coming out now with this specific issue as it's been shown many findings are too easily manipulated in favour of a certain avenue in the "industry" of medicine. Some successfully bury so much information.

As I pointed on in the beginning, most people don't know there is another side to "fairly" make a choice. People are deserving of that aren't they. It's very individual isn't it?

You've got quite the background!

I just edited my above post Nic.

Google Soteria Associate/Soteria and the first link will get you to the specific page of Dr. Mosher's viewpoints when you click on it. That's a page of his website.

The 5th across when you are on the home page is "Articles". It's a good read. He's extremely compassionate with his take on people. "Still Crazy" is a good read in Articles.  

We should start a thread with some of these books Nicolette. Good idea. Like you said, comparing research. I like that people can come up with their own conclusions, when given "two sides to every story" from the likes of the academics you've listed. They can then, research the research as well. Source the source! lol

Respectfully, not to discount what you're saying or to start debate, (I want to avoid that) "hot topic"  lol, The "model" through 'genetics' or 'society/familial upbringing influence' will be argued until the cows come home. No one will ever agree, not even medical doctors through research. I just want to present "carefully". I will say I personally don't believe much of the research that is coming out now with this specific issue as it's been shown many findings are too easily manipulated in favour of a certain avenue in the "industry" of medicine. Some successfully bury so much information.

As I pointed on in the beginning, most people don't know there is another side to "fairly" make a choice. People are deserving of that aren't they. It's very individual isn't it?

You've got quite the background!

Hi VG,

Oh, that's alright, VG. I was just going a little 'off topic' when I asked about Dr. Mosher, really it didn't have anything to do with this subject. I just wondered about Dr. Moser's theory.

I might go to my local chain bookstore tomorrow and order some books, I'd been thinking about getting Anatomy of an Epidemic and the Benzo Book. I still want to find statistical info on benzos. I'm curious about Dr. Whitfield's theory about DSTD. You know this whole experience with benzos has been really traumatic for all of us, otherwise we wouldn't be here.

Hi VG,

Oh, that's alright, VG. I was just going a little 'off topic' when I asked about Dr. Mosher, really it didn't have anything to do with this subject. I just wondered about Dr. Moser's theory.

I might go to my local chain bookstore tomorrow and order some books, I'd been thinking about getting Anatomy of an Epidemic and the Benzo Book. I still want to find statistical info on benzos. I'm curious about Dr. Whitfield's theory about DSTD. You know this whole experience with benzos has been really traumatic for all of us, otherwise we wouldn't be here.

Geez thanks. I don't think "off topic" so much. It's such a sensitive subject when it gets to those two different opinions and I wanted to prevent sensitivity or sides taking offense. Understandably, this happens.

This is serious very personal stuff.  Keeping it open to "there are two equally credible sources" perhaps then honest in that both avenues are out in the open for awareness, and simple in that we can chose the shoe that fits for us as individuals. Oddly, both sides are "evidence based" validated through completely different channels or methods. That's a very big deal with something of this magnitude. So we chose which "evidence" we believe then. That's all we can do isn't it?

It's too much like religion lol. And that other stuff, politics? lol.

I'm very curious about Dr. Whitfields DTSD as well. It certainly seems with merit doesn't it. As you said, we're here.  I've flipped through and have to buy Whittakers book too.

Hi VG,

Geez thanks. I don't think "off topic" so much. It's such a sensitive subject when it gets to those two different opinions and I wanted to prevent sensitivity or sides taking offense. Understandably, this happens.

This is serious very personal stuff.  Keeping it open to "there are two equally credible sources" perhaps then honest in that both avenues are out in the open for awareness, and simple in that we can chose the shoe that fits for us as individuals. Oddly, both sides are "evidence based" validated through completely different channels or methods. That's a very big deal with something of this magnitude. So we chose which "evidence" we believe then. That's all we can do isn't it?

It's too much like religion lol. And that other stuff, politics? lol.

I'm very curious about Dr. Whitfields DTSD as well. It certainly seems with merit doesn't it. As you said, we're here.  I've flipped through and have to buy Whittakers book too.

Hi VG,

Okay, I read Dr. Mosher's article 'Still Crazy' on the Soteria site. I completely agree with him, people who are 'diagnosed' with schizophrenia (or any other psychiatric illness) are being over-medicated or mis-medicated. To be honest, I don't like the idea of people being dx'd too often with 'illnesses' and being medicated with psych drugs, period.

As an example, there are some people in my family who are dyslexic. This is not a disorder IMO. It's just different styles of thinking, lots of dyslexics are very creative. When my son was young the school tried to tell me he had ADD and wanted me to go to a doctor and have him take Ritalin. I don't even like the dx 'Attention Deficit Disorder'. Look, there are two words in ADD that have negative connotations. Who's to say some people aren't meant to sit in a class room 7-8 hours a day? Did everyone do that back in the 1800's? I don't think so. Anyway, I could go on for a long rant, but I'll just end with I never allowed my son to be medicated, I just hired a tutor to teach him a program with phonemes in it, basically a system using phonetics. BTW, he was a dreamer, not hyper, because he was confused by writing on the board and would just start thinking about other things. It's a fallacy that dyslexics 'see' letters scrambled up. They just process things differently in the brain and there is nothing wrong with that. People are overly dx'd as I said. We don't live in a cookie cutter world where people have to fit into a certain mold or be medicated.

I think benzos have their place, short term only, for use before/during surgery or in acute traumatic situations for only two weeks.

I like Dr. Whitfield's wheel for Drug Stress Trauma Syndrome. In his wheel he has DSTS in the center with the components coming out of the center as:

Distress from Toxic Effects

Disabling Withdrawal

Emotional Roller Coaster

Disrupted Sleep

Treatment Failure

Non-Support by clinicians

Stigma, Shame & Confusion

Complex Features

Vicious Cycle

I particularly like that this is visually set up like a wheel to show that it is a cycle. Look how often patients are subjected to DSTS for years. Personally, I'd like to see patients dx'd with DSTS so that psych drugs would stop being prescribed so liberally.

Same page Nicolette. And I found another article where Mosher drops the labels like Breggin. I am not sure "why" the contradiction with Soteria. Maybe I missed something in there that explains it.

And 'bingo' with your son. Yip........

That wheel of Dr. Whitfield is amazing. The cycle is right on. He identifies so many variables with the negative effects from the cause and why.

You're quick Nic, DTSD is a Dx'd I believe in. Then perhaps people would get the help they need if they chose to discontinue and your comment. That would ultimately promote the awareness to back what Whitfield is writing about.

Maybe without the last "D" though lol. Such a fine line. It's like, gotta watch those implications. Someone else in the same profession may run with it and then things get out of control. That seems to be a "cycle" in itself.

Same page Nicolette. And I found another article where Mosher drops the labels like Breggin. I am not sure "why" the contradiction with Soteria. Maybe I missed something in there that explains it.

And 'bingo' with your son. Yip........

That wheel of Dr. Whitfield is amazing. The cyle is right on. He identifies so many variables with the negative effects from the cause and why.

You're quick Nic, DTSD is a Dx'd I believe in. Then perhaps people would get the help they need if they chose to discontinue and your comment. That would ultimately promote the awareness to back what Whitfield is writing about.

Maybe without the last "D" though lol. Such a fine line. It's like, gotta watch those implications. Someone else in the same profession may run with it and then things get out of control. That seems to be a cycle in itself.

VG,

I think that was my mistake, regarding the use of DTSD. I said DTSD instead of DSTS (must be the dyslexic in me, ha) up thread thinking it was the same as PTSD, but with 'D' for Drug replacing the 'P' for Post. DSTS=Drug Stress Trauma Syndrome is Dr. Whitfield's term.

Dr. Whitfield is calling his theory about iatrogenic drug use a syndrome rather than a disorder which is wise, I think. Maybe they should change PTSD to PTSS. Instead of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome. The word disorder just has such a negative connotation to it.

As an aside, I've seen a trend where people are increasingly being dx'd with bi-polar. This is anecdotal, but I have talked to people who have been dx'd with bi-polar or who have a family member dx'd with bi-polar. I always ask if they were given a blood test or something to dx this. They say, no, it was diagnosed by the symptoms.    :nono:

I personally am interested in benzo over-medicating for obvious reasons, but Dr. Whitfield does remark in his paper Psychiatric Drugs as Agents of Trauma published in The International Journal of Risk & Safety in Medicine that:

Yet when people take psychiatric drugs, they almost always do so without realizing that the drugs 'work' by disrupting brain function, that the drugs cause withdrawal effects, and that they frequently result in dangerous and destructive mental reactions and behaviors. (Dr. Whitfield's italics)

Then he goes on to say:

4) the benzodiazepine sedatives ("benzos") whose main toxicities are over-sedation and emotional numbness (similar to the antipsychotics and antidepressants) and probably having the most painful withdrawal syndrome of all legal and illegal drugs for most people. (my italics this time).

At this point, I'm going to make a long list of books to buy and paper's to print off that I find on the internet for personal reasons as well as wanting to study this phenomenal pattern in general.

I never saw a psychiatrist until I was 18, after using meth..my parents made me go see one.  They diagnosed me with "substance-induced psychotic mood disorder".  As time went on and I was clean from the meth, all my symptoms went away and I got hooked on the med I was on due to withdrawals.  I think I mentioned that in a previous post. 

Anyways, after years have passed, I've been diagnosed as bipolar for no apparent reason.  I don't have up's and down's and when I say I have insomnia, they say it's bipolar!  Since when the f*** does insomnia mean you're bipolar?  The ignorance is amazing.  More people are being diagnosed as bipolar because they are stuck on meds and can't get off of them, then people view that as having some condition so they must use a label like bipolar.  This is part of the vicious cycle that Whitfield describes.

I know GlynG, I think bipolar is being over-diagnosed. The reason I have asked people about this is because more and more people I know have been announcing they are bipolar. I just looked up how bipolar is diagnosed and the article I read said 'there are no blood tests or scans as of yet to diagnose it, the patients doctor will have to diagnose it.' The article also said one out of seven American adults are being diagnosed with depression and part of this group of people are bipolar. That seems pretty steep.

That is the same way with ADD/ADHD. When my son was in first grade and having a hard time reading and writing and I initiated a meeting with the school about it, they suggested my son go to the doctor for ADD. I asked them how exactly do they diagnose it. They said I would have to ask the doctor. I asked the doc and he said the parents, teacher and guidance councilor fill out a questionnaire. I did look ADD up back then and what I read was there was a ten fold increase in a diagnosis of ADD in recent years.

I just wish I would have looked up alprazolam (Xanax) back when I first took it. I didn't think about it because I didn't even know it was a psych drug. It was prescribed by my GP when I was hospitalized for pneumonia and asthma (which I never developed). I just read recently benzos are not supposed to be prescribed to patients who are having acute asthma.

Overall, it seems way too many people are being prescribed psych drugs for all sorts of lame reasons.  ???

Hi Guys!

Hey Nic, I didn't make the connection with the "S" and not "D" either. Good eye as usual! Dr. Whitfield gets it. Isn't that great? I cannot for the life of me find a GP that I click with. The ones that are informed enough for my standards, which are really high now, I don't have access to.

Yes, I saw your point 4, I actually put that in my first post lol. Isn't that something? I'm reading what you both are writing and I'm like, I know right? This species is being made to look like we are all born flawed. Being human means there is something wrong with you. There is something terribly wrong in this IMO. It's out of control and you pointed on that with the stats Nicolette. And your cycle GlynG.

Hi Guys!

Hey Nic, I didn't make the connection with the "S" and not "D" either. Good eye as usual! Dr. Whitfield gets it. Isn't that great? I cannot for the life of me find a GP that I click with. The ones that are informed enough for my standards, which are really high now, I don't have access to.

Yes, I saw your point 4, I actually put that in my first post lol. Isn't that something? I'm reading what you both are writing and I'm like, I know right? This species is being made to look like we are all born flawed. Being human means there is something wrong with you. There is something terribly wrong in this IMO. It's out of control and you pointed on that with the stats Nicolette. And your cycle GlynG.

Hi Everyone,

Yes, I really like Dr. Whitfield. I so wish there were more like him and thanks, ShellMac for this article and thanks VG for giving us the link to his site. :thumbsup:

I'm not surprised you put #4 in your first post VG, I have a lot of short term memory issues that I hope will go away after I heal. :-[

I have a book I bought a few years before I took my first benzo. It's called Care of the Soul by Thomas Moore. He was a monk at one time and became a psycho-therapist. He emphasizes less on diagnoses, and more on nurturing our souls, a totally different take than all the labeling going on.  Another book I have of Moore's is The Re-Enchantment of Everyday Life I should read that one again so I can concentrate more on the simple things in life.

Yeah, I bet that 1 in 7 number is a lot higher if you only tally people who have been to a psychiatrist.  I learned in a book by Peter Breggin that they are taught to stereotype people and look for stereotypes that fit a mold for a certain medication and diagnosis.  I bet at least 60% or more of people that go into a psych's office end up with a diagnosis of some sort.  It's about the money and not the patient.

Yeah, I bet that 1 in 7 number is a lot higher if you only tally people who have been to a psychiatrist.  I learned in a book by Peter Breggin that they are taught to stereotype people and look for stereotypes that fit a mold for a certain medication and diagnosis.  I bet at least 60% or more of people that go into a psych's office end up with a diagnosis of some sort.  It's about the money and not the patient.

yes, they are handing out far too many drugs, that's for sure. Life has it's ups and downs. Everyone goes through bouts of sadness or stress or whatnot. GlynG, it's not just psychiatrists, it was my GP that put me on Xanax when i had anxiety from a bout of pneumonia. i guess it's safer not to have any emotions when you go to a doctor. Fortunately when my old GP tried to get me to take an antidepressant i had bad reactions from the beginning and didn't take them longer than a few days. I wasn't even depressed, so I don't know why he was doing that to begin with, unless it was about $$$.