This is a must read!...8/2/11 issue of The Men's Journal

[fi...]

Hi Figgy,

I am having a hard time sleeping tonight, so came onto the forum and ran into your post and link here.

I read the entire article (not too hard to do, so eloquently written) and my heart is resonating with the truth here.

Yesterday I watched a link to a video that Legos posted to her blog, and that video in combination with this article you posted, make a very powerful statement about our use of psychiatric medications in this country.

Thank you so much for posting the link.

~Leena

Hi,

I started reading the article, and became so distraught and hopeless over the first few paragraphs, that I couldn't continue - even though it was interesting.

I don't know how the article ends, and can't take a chance reading it to find out.

But it made me think.

I think these kinds of articles should be posted with great care on benzo boards.

A lot of us are so feeling so hopeless and anxious, "whether we'll ever get better and be able to lead normal lives" - that reading articles of this nature makes us lose all hope of ever having normal, happy lives.

Again, maybe the article ends with some hope?

But I melted down just reading the first few paragraphs.

mp

Sorry Mourningperson ... it is wise that you stopped reading it if it was too much for you.  This trip is a process and you are not ready for this kind of thing yet.  I couldn't have read it a year ago either.  For me this article was a WOW!!!  This person knows and understands exactly where I live today.

Thanks to Figgy for posting it.

I understand your reaction to this article mp. A year ago this would have been far too upsetting for me to read. But today it fuels my passion to get the word out that that these meds are wreaking havoc in peoples lives. BTW this man's story ends well.

Leslie

Thanks to both of you for understanding..

And thanks SO MUCH for telling me that it ends well!

I was so hopeless from coming across it, (this has happened to me with other things I've come across) - that I thought, "what's the point of even making it through the taper - there's nothing to look forward to but a life of misery."

I'll just take your word for it that it ends well.

Thanks very much,

mp

Dear mourningperson...I have so much respect for your concerns and yes it absolutely ends well and I definitely wouldn't have posted it if I didn't think it was edifying enough to offer some hope and reason to those in need. When you gather some strength I really recommend giving this a read. The writer is an extremely established art and music critic and the way he lays out the crime that is/are freely written benzo scripts is no less than brilliant. As to the sense of hopelessness we all go through and are going through it but at the end of the day going through with your taper is the most valuable gift you'll ever give yourself in this lifetime. It does get better it just takes time, patience and plenty of stick-to-it resolve. My best wishes....