Earl of Sandwich led debate 6 October 2010

[Ni...]

This debate on the harmful affects of prescription drugs was led by the Earl of Sandwich. He has a relative who has experienced a difficult and prolonged withdrawal from a benzodiazepine. The debate is from last fall (maybe it's been on here before, I don't know).

I think it's really courageous and heartening when prominent people speak up about the harmful effects of BENZOS.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/democracylive/hi/house_of_lords/newsid_9030000/9030417.stm

That's a good one Nicolette. I've seen it. It's very good and I am so glad some in seats of authority are trying so hard to keep this issue in the forefront and active. His family member had been going through it for quite a few months too. The house should be much fuller with such a serious issue shouldn't it? Unfortunately it seems many still can't grasp what "involuntary" addiction means.

[ee...]

OK, maybe I'm just hormonal or something, but I just got all teary eyed watching this. 

I guess it's one thing to read about this stuff online, but quite another when you hear withdrawal symptoms that you are currently suffering from being confirmed by a government official.  It just means that this is real, and I am not crazy. 

I guess I needed that extra validation.

Thanks again, Nicolette!!!

Thanks VG, Fieldy and Perseverance. I hope we continue to have people in positions of influence speak up about the affects of benzodiazepines.

This article is in addition to the video posted...

The Earl of Sandwich calls on the government to recognize the work of medical professionals and volunteers in creating a "much higher profile" for the dangers of prescription drug addiction.

On 23rd June I am asking the government to recognize that for many people, addiction to and withdrawal from prescribed drugs is an emergency condition and should be given a much higher profile in national health. I am asking them what practical actions they will take as a result of the latest reports by the National Addiction Centre and the National Treatment Agency, which have summarized the research but have done absolutely nothing for the victims in the way of national policy.  more here

Thank you Star, that's nice to see the Earl of Sandwich sounds like he is going to keep pressing for a resolve in this matter. :thumbsup: