Life addicted to tranquilizers. BBC.

[va...]

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-14299501

How about the uniformed words bred from ignorance and complacency from the Royal College of General Practitioners.

=====================================

27 July 2011 Last updated at 06:01 ET

Life addicted to prescription drugs

By Katy Takatsuki Face the Facts, BBC Radio 4

More than a million people in the UK are estimated to be addicted to prescription drugs known as benzodiazepines. But with withdrawal symptoms similar to those experienced by heroin addicts, those who find themselves addicted are calling for more help and a change in the way the drugs are prescribed.

Josh, addicted to prescription drugs Josh says he gets sweats and a sense of going mad if he stops taking his prescription drugs

"Being addicted is hellish. When I get up in the morning I need to take my meds so I can function, so I can be a whole person."

JOSH 50, WAS FIRST PRESCRIBED A BENZODIAZPINE, A TRANQUILISER, AS A HYPERACTIVE EIGHT-YEAR-OLD AND HAS BEEN ADDICTED EVER SINCE.

He is among the 1.5m people across the UK the All Party Parliamentary Group on Involuntary Tranquilliser Addiction (APPGITA) estimates are addicted to this group of drugs, which are also known as 'benzos'.

Benzos include diazepam and temazepam, and are commonly prescribed by GPs for a range of conditions such as anxiety and insomnia.

They act by enhancing the effect of a brain chemical transmitter called gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA), which depresses or calms the central nervous system, slowing down mental activity to cause relaxation and sedation.

But some experts say that coming off benzos can be harder than stopping taking heroin.

"I estimate about 20-30% (of people) who are on benzos have problems coming off, and about a third have very distressing symptoms," says Professor Malcolm Lader of the Institute of Psychiatry.

"The anxiety comes back or sleeplessness comes back and they feel physically ill.

"Then they get bizarre symptoms.

"Essentially, the brain wakes up and then over-wakes, sounds appear louder, lights appear brighter, and they feel unsteady. It's then they're in a bad withdrawal state."

Continue reading the main story

“Start Quote

It's an issue that's fallen through the cracks, it's a silent addiction”

End Quote Anne Milton Public health minister for England

Josh has tried to stop taking the drug many times.

"You sweat, hot and cold sweats, you get diarrhoea and a sense of going mad," he says.

"It's horrendous. I've never found a cut-off point where I've said, 'It's better', because the symptoms persist.

"The longest time I've been off benzos was eight weeks.

"I know that sounds like a short time but I can assure you that eight weeks is a really long time to be experiencing those symptoms every day, and they don't get better.

"And without the support, in the end my body said, enough, I must take a tablet, I can bear this no longer."

Lack of services

The support Josh longs for is the kind that is already provided in drug addiction centres for users of heroin and cocaine.

"We didn't wake up and say, 'Lets get addicted'," says Josh.

"We got addicted involuntarily and those who have been brave enough to try and address our addiction and have failed, we're still as stuck in that cycle.

Continue reading the main story

“Start Quote

We're volunteers in all this. Where are the services to help these people?”

End Quote Barry Haslam Tranx addiction support group

"Please help us. Give us some support. Don't abandon us now."

Tranx, a support group based in Oldham, Manchester, run by ex and partially-withdrawn addicts, is unique in bringing together two charities - one with NHS funding - to provide two nurses.

"In Oldham I've seen six suicides and 50 attempted suicides," says Barry Haslam, who runs the support group, and is himself a former benzo addict.

"One weekend there were people wanting to commit suicide on the Friday, Saturday and Sunday night. It's just so sad there's nothing out there.

"We're volunteers in all this. Where are the services to help these people?" he says.

But as Professor Malcolm Lader, of the Institute of Psychiatry says: "The facilities are simply not available."

He adds: "The great scandal is addicts are referred to illegal drug addiction centres, and they're sat next to an illegal drug user who's been injecting heroin, and of course a housewife who's been prescribed by her doctor will be very upset by this."

Anne Milton, England's public health minister, admitted to BBC Radio 4's Face the Facts that there there had been some denial of the problem, but added the Department of Health is trying to "get a grip" of it and provide help for those who want to withdraw.

"I'm taking this very seriously, it's an issue that's fallen through the cracks, it's a silent addiction. Not many people know about it.

"We want to make sure training and awareness is raised so GPs can prescribe well, and then we've got to make sure we've got the right services in place to help them enjoy lives as they should be able to."

Rise in prescriptions

The potential dangers of withdrawing from benzos have long been known.

Close-up of spilled bottle of pills The number of benzo prescriptions rose by 8% last year

The recommended maximum time benzos should be prescribed is four weeks, according to government guidance.

Yet in England, the number of prescriptions issued last year rose by 8% to almost 11.5 million.

A recent report by the National Addiction Centre, Kings College London, which looked at prescribing in England for the 19 years up to 2009, found over a third of prescriptions during this period were for more than eight weeks.

But the Royal College of General Practitioners defends the prescription of these drugs, saying the way GPs have been dealing with patients in recent years is a "prescribing success" story.

Dr Clare Gerada, the organisation's chair, says that benzodiazepines are effective drugs, adding that most patients can withdraw easily, but that for others, staying on the drug may be a better option.

"Patients that I see, on the whole, do not have problems coming off. Some patients may be on them for life.

"It's not a good thing, but if you balance the risks and benefits then sometimes the benefits of staying on them far outweigh the risks."

You can hear more on Face the Facts: Prescribed Addiction on BBC Radio 4 at 1230 BST, on Wednesday, 27 July, repeated at 2100 BST on Sunday, 31 July, or catch up on BBC iPlayer.

Thanks for the useful info VancouverGirl my friend.  :smitten:  I'm always glad to hear of articles like this that put this issue out there in the public.

Interesting huh guys? Hey Mark22 and Whoopsie buddy, there is so much info isn't there? It's strange how it all gets passed over by the ones that really need to be reading it. Hi Colleen, miss you too. I hope you are coping and at the very least noticing some good changes. That goes for everybody.

"...But the Royal College of General Practitioners defends the prescription of these drugs, saying the way GPs have been dealing with patients in recent years is a "prescribing success" story.

Dr Clare Gerada, the organisation's chair, says that benzodiazepines are effective drugs, adding that most patients can withdraw easily, but that for others, staying on the drug may be a better option.

"Patients that I see, on the whole, do not have problems coming off. Some patients may be on them for life.

"It's not a good thing, but if you balance the risks and benefits then sometimes the benefits of staying on them far outweigh the risks."

And now we know why the wheels are turning so slow.  Unbelievable.

I have to wonder about this 'life time user' thing since I took these for over 20 years. The thing I'm having the most trouble with now (1 year later) is the trauma of discontinuing the drug and what I've gone through. So to stay on the drug to avoid the trauma of quitting or to stay on it because you chemically need it.  :-\ 

We have practically identical benzo histories Star.  What exactly are you referring to, I am curious.  Are you still having w/d sx's?

I have to wonder about this 'life time user' thing since I took these for over 20 years. The thing I'm having the most trouble with now (1 year later) is the trauma of discontinuing the drug and what I've gone through. So to stay on the drug to avoid the trauma of quitting or to stay on it because you chemically need it.  :-\ 

I'm okay with going through the trauma of discontinuing benzodiazepines and it's aftermath. I'm not okay with being dependent on a substance that I don't really need. That's what frightens me more that anything about benzos....finding out it wasn't as simple as not filling a prescription again...and I want to distinguish benzo dependency from say, being dependent on insulin when you are diabetic. You have to use insulin if there comes a time when your body doesn't produce enough to keep you healthy.

I had no idea I was physically dependent on Xanax. One time I went on a trip out of the country for 6 weeks. I only had 3 weeks worth of Xanax with me. In the back of my mind I was a little nervous about not having a six week supply, but I had know idea how dangerous this could have been.  I was in a very remote area, and it was very stressful only having half the amount I normally took and I had know idea. I thought it was me being stressed about being out in the wild.

I do not want to live my life worrying about having a bottle of pills with me where ever I want to go. I do not want to go to doctor's and talk to them about supplying me with pills and discussing an anxiety disorder, when I went for a majority of my life dealing with anxiety in natural ways.

I want to be free.

We have practically identical benzo histories Star.  What exactly are you referring to, I am curious.  Are you still having w/d sx's?

Most all of my symptoms have gone or decreased to a great degree, at this point I have just a few that I deal with on a constant basis; tinnitus, fatigue, some DP/DR, apathy, cog fog... but I feel most of my problem now is from personal stress and maybe not entirely benzo 'damage'. I think my coping skills were made weak and I need to rehabilitate from the trauma, I'm slowly coming around. But I feel that if my personal situation was less stressful I would feel a lot better with very few symptoms if at all, I could be wrong. I just don't think that people need to be on these for life unless their reasoning is to avoid some possible trauma from coming off.

I think every one of us would have been better off without this drug, so if they're saying the people should stay on it, they must be saying that to point out that it could be too traumatic to come off after long term use and not necessarily because they chemically need it. They don't really define that.  

I have to wonder about this 'life time user' thing since I took these for over 20 years. The thing I'm having the most trouble with now (1 year later) is the trauma of discontinuing the drug and what I've gone through. So to stay on the drug to avoid the trauma of quitting or to stay on it because you chemically need it.  :-\  

I'm okay with going through the trauma of discontinuing benzodiazepines and it's aftermath. I'm not okay with being dependent on a substance that I don't really need. That's what frightens me more that anything about benzos....finding out it wasn't as simple as not filling a prescription again...and I want to distinguish benzo dependency from say, being dependent on insulin when you are diabetic. You have to use insulin if there comes a time when your body doesn't produce enough to keep you healthy.

I had no idea I was physically dependent on Xanax. One time I went on a trip out of the country for 6 weeks. I only had 3 weeks worth of Xanax with me. In the back of my mind I was a little nervous about not having a six week supply, but I had know idea how dangerous this could have been.  I was in a very remote area, and it was very stressful only having half the amount I normally took and I had know idea. I thought it was me being stressed about being out in the wild.

I do not want to live my life worrying about having a bottle of pills with me where ever I want to go. I do not want to go to doctor's and talk to them about supplying me with pills and discussing an anxiety disorder, when I went for a majority of my life dealing with anxiety in natural ways.

I want to be free.

I totally agree and tapering is the best way to avoid the 'trauma' (I guess I shouldn't call it that) many people get through this without trauma. For me this particular experience has been pretty traumatic, but I did everything wrong. I used it long term and ended up at a high dose, I did it all the hard way  :sick:

...and I want to distinguish benzo dependency from say, being dependent on insulin when you are diabetic. You have to use insulin if there comes a time when your body doesn't produce enough to keep you healthy.

I do not want to go to doctor's and talk to them about supplying me with pills and discussing an anxiety disorder, when I went for a majority of my life dealing with anxiety in natural ways.

I want to be free.

Try and look at it this way perhaps. Just a thought. And I will start by saying, I've a great deal of empathy for those that took benzos for anxiety challenges. I've met so so many with this. Most say they do feel so much better with just regular anxiety to contend with and not tolerance withdrawal etc.

And they have found equally good alternative therapies.

Now, as far as the saying docs love to throw around, "you need these pills the way a diabetic needs insulin. "

And you referred to, "there comes a time when your body doesn't produce enough insulin to keep you healthy."

The last time I check Nicolette, the body doesn't need a chemical compound they were going to use to make wood dye the way a body needs insulin.

There will never be a time a body doesn't have enough of this chemical compound to make wood dye to keep your body healthy.

You deserve to be free and there are other ways.

If you count the single sentence as a paragraph too it is down the page 8 paragraphs. It tells you benzodiazipines were developed from a chemical compound for possible use as wood dye.

http://www.non-benzodiazepines.org.uk/the-benzo-book.html

xo

*I have my fingers crossed for you too Star that it gets easier for you. I'm sure like most of us you didn't know you were doing everything wrong coming off of a benzo. Not your fault.

vancouvergirl, I have know doubt in my mind that I will be free of Xanax. I just had surgery on Wednesday so I'm holding my taper. I will do a safe taper as quickly as my body allows.

I was put on a benzo because of a doctor's error when I had pneumonia, and was hospitalized for it, not for an anxiety condition.

[/i]I have empathy for patients who were put on benzos for anxiety because it doesn't seem to work well long-term, it only makes their anxiety worse.

I have more of a problem that I am a very high-energy person and this has laid me low.

Also, it's unsettling to know benzodiazepines are synthetic, I'll look at the article you reference. Cheers  :)

Hi Nicolette,

You have got to be kidding? A doctor's error and you had pneumonia. My gosh. Not anxiety. Forgive me, my apologies. I misread. I am very sorry to hear that. And you're absolutely right, for those that do have anxiety, tolerance makes it worse.

Good luck with your surgery. Good idea to wait until as you said your body can handle it. And the benzo fatigue laying us low in this is terrible. I agree. It was the reason I started running slower. Pervasive.

Cheers back you!  :)

http://www.benzo.org.uk/perrott11.htm

Lots of people emailing to complain about the Gerada's statement, saying Benzo wd is overstated!! grrrrrrrrrr :tickedoff: :tickedoff:

Fantastic!  If the RCGP would change its stance, that would be a huge step forward.  Hey Chig, since you live in the UK, would you mind keeping us abreast of any significant developments-  like if you should see something on TV or in a major newspaper?  You could post it on my blog if you'd like.  We are anxiously watching what is going on over there from across the pond.  What happens in your country could have a major impact on ours.

My hubby flies to the East Midlands quite often for work.  He loves Bangers & Mash, mushy peas, and finger pies!  Can't get them here in the US.

That is unbelievable. Thanks for that chiggylit, you should have started a thread on it. I cannot believe she said benzowithdrawal is overstated. And she is the chair of the RCGP.

I will start a thread if you like :) everyone here could listen and email too! The more the better,

I live only 45mins from East Midlands!!!!!! wow

Bangers n mash yummmmmmmmmmy  :yippee: