Novus 10/14 day detox

[Li...]

.Saw this in a post and would like to know if anyone has heard of this?

NOVUS, in Florida.

10-14 days IV with Valium (tapering), GABA, Vitamins & Minerals.

Their aim is to get you off the Benzo & boost your body into starting to make GABA on it's own.

Is there any literature about how long it takes (after benzo is out of system), for the

body to start producing GABA on its own?

Thanks, Wants Off Benzos & Linda

Hi Linda:

I don't think the issue is that we are low on GABA.  The issue is that GABA receptor sites on cells have been down regulated due to the use of benzos.  It takes a long time for our receptor sites to adjust back to pre benzo functioning.  In the meantime, we struggle with withdrawals.

Draftsman 

Linda,

Novus in New Port Richey Florida is the Holistic Detox I went to.  I had the Vitamin IVs with GABA and was tapered with Valium for 3 WHOLE days.  I came home brain damaged.  You may want to go through my posting history and read my experience before you think about that place for benzo Detox.

BTW, found out 2 1/2 months after I returned home that putting GABA into your body DISCOURAGES natural production of GABA.  (It took 2 1/2 months before I was capable of even getting on my computer I was so mentally and physically disabled).

I would recommend the place for people getting off opiates though.

Hi Linda:

I don't think the issue is that we are low on GABA.  The issue is that GABA receptor sites on cells have been down regulated due to the use of benzos.  It takes a long time for our receptor sites to adjust back to pre benzo functioning.   In the meantime, we struggle with withdrawals.

Draftsman 

Thanks for the info Draftsman. I posted this thread for Wants off Benzos BUT I find myself being the lucky one in learning what my body & mind must endure to win this race.

GABA is not my specialty but I like the way you describes it. I learn more and more as I go.

Thanks again, Linda

Linda,

Novus in New Port Richey Florida is the Holistic Detox I went to.  I had the Vitamin IVs with GABA and was tapered with Valium for 3 WHOLE days.  I came home brain damaged.  You may want to go through my posting history and read my experience before you think about that place for benzo Detox.

BTW, found out 2 1/2 months after I returned home that putting GABA into your body DISCOURAGES natural production of GABA.  (It took 2 1/2 months before I was capable of even getting on my computer I was so mentally and physically disabled).

Hi Perseverance

First, I'm so sorry what happened to you in this place. Your input on this subject matter was deeply appreciated. At least no one will be trying this out because of the info you shared.

I am going to read your blog and read up on your experience. Maybe it will help when someone else ask this same question.

Thank you for sharing and being so helpful.

Your newest friend, Linda

Here's where to look Linda to make it easier for you to find:

Page 4 of my blog, and my thread "The Detox Facility called to see how I was doing..." under Benzodiazepine Withdrawal Support.

Thanks Perseverance,

I owe you a big favor for this one. Let me know if you need anything, I'll get on it asap!

your friend, Linda

Linda,

...BTW, found out 2 1/2 months after I returned home that putting GABA into your body DISCOURAGES natural production of GABA...

Perseverance,

Can you elaborate on this and/or link to where it is discussed? This is the first time I've come across this and I'd like to learn more (I'm a board n00b here).

tia,

Scott

Sure Scott.

I first learned about this concept from my Endocrinologist who told me any time you take something your body produces naturally it discourages the bodies own natural production.  Your body sees 'x' amount of it in the system and tells the body not to make more to avoid excess.  We were discussing things like Melatonin, Estrogen, DHEA, and Hydrocortisone at the time.

This concept was reiterated by my Family Doctor when we were discussing various supplements from the Healthfood Store.

While researching how our bodies make GABA on their own, I came across the following information that went hand in hand with what my doctors were telling me:

"when an external source substance is used to take the place of a natural internal substance for an extended period of time, the body begins to reduce production of those natural chemicals. This can create a deficiency in these naturally occurring chemicals.

L-Glutamine is an amino acid that in a precursor to GABA. Using a nutritional supplement that contains L-Glutamine along with a balanced diet can support the natural replenishment of GABA, as well as other neurotransmitters."

This is from a NeuroGenesis webpage, based on their research.  They make supplements that provide the building blocks for your body to make its own GABA.  Here is the link to the page from which I quoted:

http://www.neurogenesis.com/Neurotransmitters/gaba.php

However, keep in mind it is our GABA receptor sites that have been damaged.  The healing that is going on is the replenishment of the receptor sites themselves, and I do not know of anything you can 'take' to speed up that process.

It's been long known that benzos do NOT affect GABA levels in the body. The problem lies in receptor sites. And there is nothing we can take to force your body to repair and create receptor sites.

There is such a thing as endozepines (your body's natural benzodiazepines -- like endorphins to opiates), but how important these are is a total mystery, we know almost nothing about them in the human body. There's even a non-GABA peripheral benzodiazepine receptor which we also have very little information about -- though I saw an excellent detailed research paper on them somewhere, a good read. Here it is: http://pharmrev.aspetjournals.org/content/51/4/629.full