• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Pe...]

• [...]

• [va...]

• [Sc...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for that article MarthaKicks. There are so many articles conveying the truth about these drugs.

Perseverance's link with Dr. Ablow paints a different picture saying:

-One medicine I believe is being underutilized is clonazepam.  I have found that clonazepam is less likely in my patients to promote long-term dependency......................

[5b...]

And then look at this article which promotes Klonopin. 

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2011/03/29/anti-anxiety-drug-overlooked/

I think this shrink, Keith Ablow, is dangerous.  Check out more of his misguided ideas:

From wikipedia:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_Ablow

"In April 2011, Ablow wrote a health column for FoxNews.com[6] which criticized designer Jenna Lyons for allowing her young son to wear pink nail polish, stating that gender distinctions are "part of the magnificent synergy that creates and sustains the human race". The column sparked a controversy around his claims that painting a child's toenails pink would have an effect on their sexuality and led to accusations of overreaction, as was reported upon by numerous news media sources.[7][8][9][10]"

"On May 17, 2011, Ablow wrote a blog at FoxNews.com that suggested that transgender Chaz Bono could have been helped through insight-oriented psychotherapy, possibly in combination with psychiatric medication, rather than through surgery.[11] His article goes on to describe transgender individuals as "psychotic" and "delusional," comparing individuals with gender identity disorder to patients with clinical paranoia or patients who have an extreme fear of aging.[11] The article was removed shortly after publication.[11] Ablow's views are in conflict with growing medical evidence to suggest that some transgender individuals have physical brain structures that resemble their desired sex.[12] Fox News did not issue any statement suggesting they were criticizing Dr. Ablow or his positions."

It's a shame that this major news outlet is employing a physician with such archaic beliefs.

They make it also sound like it's just an "abuse" of the Klonopin - what about people who didn't even take the amount the doc prescribed for 6 years?  I never had to up my dose, never took the 1.5mg a day that the doc prescribed, only took the 1 mg at bedtime.  NEVER abused it but yet my body is dependant!  I wish this info was out there more too - not just for people who abuse it.

Perseverance's link with Dr. Ablow paints a different picture saying:

-One medicine I believe is being underutilized is clonazepam.  I have found that clonazepam is less likely in my patients to promote long-term dependency......................

Hey Vancouvergirl, are you sure I posted that link?  In what context did I post it if I did?  Obviously from my all my prior posts I highly disagree with Dr. Ablow's statement and think it is irresponsible at best.

Hi Persevance. Oops, my bad. SoCalRob posted it. I don't believe he posted Dr. Ablow's link  "in agreement." Just to illustrate quite unfortunately where some professionals are coming from in this.

Yes, I do know you're in disagreement as well. I apologize for mistake with the poster.

MarthaKicks,

Wow--thank you for posting this. More reason to be angry and persevere though this w/d!

Blessings,

itzsweird

As far as another article mentioned, there is a reason why they call Fox Faux News!

Hi Persevance. Oops, my bad. SoCalRob posted it. I don't believe he posted Dr. Ablow's link  "in agreement." Just to illustrate quite unfortunately where some professionals are coming from in this.

Yes, I do know you're in disagreement as well. I apologize for mistake with the poster.

Thanks for clearing that up - I thought I was losing it!

[12...]

Thanks for clearing that up - I thought I was losing it!

Same here, I was like wow shes giving Perseverance the credit for my post lol.

Yeah, oops to you too SoCalRob. Benzo brain lol.  :(   Credit where credit is due lol. Thanks for that link as well.........

[5b...]

As far as another article mentioned, there is a reason why they call Fox Faux News!

Bwahahaha--that's funny!

Dr Ablow is just another idiot. :idiot:  What makes me mad about every Stevie Nick's reference is that it makes it sound like she was FINE after a 45 day c/t detox of klonopin and prozac when in reality she spent a couple years after the c/t crawled up in her brother's house "getting well".  I just wish the TRUE facts were represented.

Stevie 

[89...]
What makes me mad about every Stevie Nick's reference is that it makes it sound like she was FINE after a 45 day c/t detox of klonopin and prozac when in reality she spent a couple years after the c/t crawled up in her brother's house "getting well".

Stevie,

I have read so much on Nick's stories. There's not too much she says about her withdrawal in depth.

It's no surprise to me that Klonopin is one of the most dangerous medications.

All the Benzo's are, but IMO Klonopin and Xanax are way over prescribed here in the US.

S#

I just wrote Dr. Ablow a very angry e-mail message and told him my/our story.  I'd love it if others did the same.  His address is at the end of the article. 

I just wrote Dr. Ablow a very angry e-mail message and told him my/our story.  I'd love it if others did the same.  His address is at the end of the article. 

HA! That was great mbr!  What exactly did you say? 

[5b...]

HA! That was great mbr!  What exactly did you say? 

I think it's awesome, too.  What did you say?

I said this: 

Dear Dr. Ablow.  I just happened upon your article on FoxNews.com, "An Anti-Anxiety Drug That Is Too Often Overlooked", and I am saddened beyond belief to see Klonopin being publicized as a drug that is "less likely...to promote long-term dependency".  I was prescribed Klonopin in 2004 for anxiety, and on the day it was prescribed to be taken on a daily basis and not p.r.n., my fate was sealed.  I have been trying to wean myself from this drug since October 2009 and I feel I have been pushed through the doors of hell.  I am now down to just over a tenth of a milligram and it has only gotten more difficult, and I have felt even more sick, as I have reduced my dose.  According to all I have read about benzodiazepines, my GABA receptors went out of commission many years ago and are now struggling mightily to come back "on line".  What a nightmare this has been!

Lest you dismiss me as an anomaly whose original anxiety disorder has reared its ugly head as I've tapered, let me add that the anxiety and depression I feel on the coming off is 100 times worse than my own original anxiety ever was.  In addition, I am in contact with literally thousands (well, not all of them personally, but they are all present there) of victims of Klonopin and other benzodiazepines on various Internet forums, all of whom are experiencing severe withdrawal symptoms from their respective benzodiazepines.  Many were put on a benzodiazepine for other than anxiety, yet the anxiety they feel in withdrawal is debilitating.  In these cases, it cannot be blamed on their "underlying anxiety problems".  I know not everyone has a difficult time if they taper off carefully, but a sizable number of us do and we should not be ignored.  This is a public health crisis of huge proportions and the medical community doesn't often recognize it as such.  Just do a little on-line research and you will see that I am not being a drama queen.  Even the drug manufacturers say that benzos should not be taken for more than a few weeks, yet doctors are prescribing them for use on a long-term, daily basis.  This practice is ruining lives.  It has ruined mine.

I beg you to reconsider your position on Klonopin.  I beg you to think twice before you subject any more patients to a horrendous withdrawal ordeal.  I wonder how many patients you have helped withdraw from this drug---after long-term use.  I wonder how many have had to increase their daily dose due to tolerance.  I wonder how many have had a worsening of the symptoms for which they were prescribed Klonopin in the first place only to be wrongly diagnosed with a worsening of their underlying problem and put on additional psychotropic medications to counter the damage done by Klonopin.

I urge you to take a look at the following sites: benzobuddies.org,  benzowithdrawal.com and benzoexodus.com.  I think you will agree there is an unacceptable amount of misery associated with the use of benzodiazepines.  It boggles the mind

Also, take a look at the patients' ratings of Klonopin at: http://www.askapatient.com/viewrating.asp?drug=17533&name=KLONOPIN&page=1

Also take a look at this medical journal article: http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:bdgB2tEyOEIJ:www.europad.org/journal/2000/Frare%25202%282%292000.pdf+Benzos,+Franco+Frare,+Giulio+Perugi&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEEShfSorMX941XdJgGwWClz3DwPJoSsfNE0Vmv1g6WGIQ-iufuQcbqJeb4i_pP2AirNEHPJ_IGjvPcmX6xlv2ypSZQSpOGbiw6avzepko46Jjr00JttvOiWRnNEmLm3j7VRjAg6Kz&sig=AHIEtbThC40nqk8EA_EZWhixiR0SPG_U9A&pli=1

In addition, check out this article at Wikipedia, the site that is self-corrected by the involvement of many participants: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benzodiazepine_withdrawal_syndrome

Dr. Ablow, I have many more if you are interested.  There are numerous books written on the subject, personal accounts, investigative reports and those written by medical professionals.  How can doctors be so ignorant of the limitations and dangers of these drugs?  I concede that they have their place, but their place must be limited to very short-term, acute purposes.  Doctors who prescribe otherwise are playing with serious fire.

In the field of consumer safety, it only takes a few instances of harm to withdraw a product from the market.  How many people dependent on benzos and experiencing horrendous withdrawals will it take before doctors stop prescribing them like Tic Tacs?  The pharmaceutical companies are not telling the whole story with regard to taking these drugs for longer than a few weeks.  You must know that the research shows that these anxiolytics have not been proven to have any effect for longer than a few weeks in treating insomnia and there is no evidence that they are effective for longer than a few months in the treatment of anxiety.  How can you not have read this research?  Yet, patients are often told they will have to take them for life!  (I'm not surprised given how difficult it is to quit them, even if tapered very slowly.  And, if they take them for life, it is likely that they will grapple with tolerance issues.)

Before you subject one more patient to a fate similar to mine, I would ask that you take Klonopin for, say, six months, then try to discontinue it.  If you can do that without great difficulty, only then will you be in a position to marvel at the fact that Klonopin so often overlooked.  Maybe those clinicians know something you don't and maybe you should seek out their advice.  My doctor has learned a lot through my experience.  he knows me well and supports me in my effort to rid myself of this medication.  He believes I have been seriously harmed by it.  There should be more doctors like him.

I want to reiterate here that I am not a drama queen.  I have never been a hypochondriac.  I don't normally seek attention for my problems.  I don't shy away from pain; I had two unmedicated childbirths.  I am a courageous woman.  Yet, Klonopin has taken me to my knees.  I would give anything to get my life back.  I can only hope that I will.

Thanks, MK.  And, thanks also for referring us to the Wiki page on our dear Dr. Ablow.  He doesn't sound like someone I'd like to befriend.  Not at all...

[5b...]

Thanks, MK.   And, thanks also for referring us to the Wiki page on our dear Dr. Ablow.  He doesn't sound like someone I'd like to befriend.  Not at all...

word!