Started xanax crossover to Klonopin....Need input please

[rh...]

I am on day three crossover daytime xanax 2.5 mg to my bedtime klonopin dose of 3mg. I have been spacing out my doses during the day, example:

9:00 am. .75 X

1:00pm .75 X

4:00 pm .75 X

Bedtime I  take 3.25 Klonopin

I am doing okay, just feeling tired from my chronic fatigue. I will do a slow taper off the Klonopin once I have totally crossed over. I have a question....

What does it mean to stabilize? The plan I have in place is every 2 weeks replace one dose of Xanax (.25) with Klonopin. I know it's going to be a slow and long process, but I am determined to get off the these.

Since I have always taken the klonopin at bedtime because I have horrible insomnia, it has always helped me sleep, How am I going to feel during the day when I am on all klonopin. Just wondering. I can't do Valium, I figured and talked it over with my doctor, and he said it would be best to slow crossover to klonopin since I've been taking it for so long.

I apologize for the rambling. Thank you very much.

Rhapsodygirl

[ba...]

rhapsodygirl,

Xanax and Klonopin.. has the same ratio... m/m'=1, 1:1

The plan I have in place is every 2 weeks replace one dose of Xanax (.25) with Klonopin. I know it's going to be a slow and long process, but I am determined to get off the these.

You have a good plan.

9:00 am. 0.5mg X / 0.25mg K--- 0.25mg X, 0.25mg X, 0.25 K

1:00pm .75 X... "

4:00 pm .75 X... " (So on, however you're going to replace it at diff. doses & x's of the day).

Bedtime I  take 3.25 Klonopin

By the time you c/o you will have an equiv. of 5.5mg of Klonopin, if I hear you correctly.

Then cut 10% every 1-2 weeks... ? I assume.

What does it mean to stabilize?

Well, everyone has their own way of expressing "Stabilized".. as I have observed.

To me it means Tolerable, the point in which you are stabilized from a cut.

It kind of works like this, just an example:

..... Stabilized (cut)'

.... Stabilized (cut)''

... Stabilized (cut)'''

.. Stabilized (cut)''''

. Stabilized (cut)'''''

Only way I can express it.

Do you understand?

How am I going to feel during the day when I am on all klonopin

I don't think anyone can answer that, as we all vary.

As you said before.. we'll cross that bridge when you get to it.

IMO, I think if you're having Inter-dose withdrawal.. the Klonopin would help, but again.. hard to say 'cause we all vary.

I, too.. think a slow c/o is best.. I'm no doctor, but IMO it is.. you have to introduce the Benzo to your body slowly, or else.. it could end up shocking your CNS.

You have a good plan set up..

Good luck. :)

S#

Hi Rhapsodygirl,

I think you might feel better when you c/o to Klonopin.  If you are having interdose withdrawals right now, it's because your body is used to what it's getting.  You are going to be giving it something new so that could make the interdose withdrawals a little better.  I know when I crossed over from Klonopin to Valium it was a nice change.  I was feeling terrible on the same dose of Xanax and Klonopin.  Then when I began to taper I felt better.  It is a nice change to be more in control of what you are doing.  By tapering you are taking control.  I think you will begin to feel a lot better.

Good luck

Oleander

I used to take the 2.5mg xanax at one time without any problem. Now that I am doing the c/o I have been spacing the time I take the xanax just because I know I will eventually be on 5.5mg klonopin. I get so sleepy after each dose of xanax. I'm not having any interdose withdrawls, just sleepy. When the xanax wears off I feel better, then it's another time to take xanax.

I am thinking about trying 7 to 10 days before replacing a xanax dose with klonopin. I understand nobody can predict how I'm going to feel during the day. I just want to get all the way over to klonopin so I can start tapering off that. I'm not going to rush it, I just want to get to the place where I'm tapering off klonopin. I hope I won't be a total zombie.

Thank you for your help :)

Rhapsodygirl

Hi Rhapsodygirl,

Just a thought.  If you feel better when the Xanax begins to wear off you might not need to c/o all of it to Klonopin.  I was on 2mgs of Xanax and 3mgs of Klonopin.  I c/t all of it and that was a bad move but after 4 days I went back on only the 3mgs of Klonopin and just dropped the Xanax all together.  I'm not saying you should get off all the Xanax at one time.  Just because it worked fine for me doesn't mean it will for everyone.  I am saying that you might be able to drop some of the Xanax and crossover some of it.  It's just something to think about.  It is a long road to c/o all the Xanax to Klonopin just to start the taper after you are done.

It's just a thought to think about.  I know you have been thinking about how you are going to do your taper.  I was just thinking since you aren't feeling any interdose withdrawal and you feel tired when you take the Xanax, it might be nice to come off of a bit of it while you cross over.

Oleander

Hi Oleander,

I was wondering once you c/t from Xanax and reinstated Klonopin, how long were you on the 3mg. Klonopin with no Xanax and how was that for you? Did you immediately start the Valium c/o?

I really like your idea of dropping a Xanax dose and seeing how that goes, and then try taking the .25mg Klonopin in the morning, and then tomorrow night just take my usual dose 3mg. Klonopin at bedtime.

My daily dose of Xanax will be 2mg. and 3mg. Klonopin at night. I'm just going to give it a whirl. Thank you so much for your help in this. I would love to lessen the c/o time if I can. Then taper 3mg. Klonopin.

Blessings,

Rhapsodygirl

Rhapsodygirl

I was on the 2mg Xanax and 3mg Klonopin for about 5 years.  My doctor kept telling me it was a low dose but I read some and figured out I was on a pretty high dose.  Now I took all of them at bedtime because I just couldn't sleep without it.  Well I started to get interdose withdrawals.  I had no idea that was what I was feeling.  I just knew I wanted off of these things.  I did a c/t of all of it.  That was the WRONG way to go about it.  I was off for 4 days of complete misery.  I got my doctor on the phone and told him what I did.  He told me to take the 3 Klonopin and taper off of that at a rate of .5mgs every couple weeks.  I thought that was quick since I just went of the Xanax c/t.  So I did some reading and wanted to try to c/o to Valium.  I never made a better decision!  I was on the 3mgs of Klonopin for about a week before I talked my doctor into prescribing the Valium. I really had to talk him into it.  He didn't think I needed to take 60mgs.  It was what I read in the Ashton Manual to him that changed his mind.  Looking back now I probably could have started at a lower dosage.  The Valium made me pretty tired.  I c/o pretty much at the same time.  I know they say to slowly move over but it made me tired and I hadn't slept in so long I was ready for some good sleep. So I zipped through my c/o very, very fast.

I followed the Ashton Method for c/o from 3mgs of Klonopin to Valium but I did go faster in the beginning because I felt good.  I didn't have any symptoms except being tired in the beginning.  I tapered off the afternoon one pretty quickly.  I needed to be awake.  The next I got rid of was the morning.  I just kept the evening dose for most of the time. I went down a bit too fast in January and had to updose.  That is NOT something you want to do.  Taking it slow is good but when c/o, moving down at the same time is a good idea. 

I was a bit foggy last summer at 60mgs of Valium.  I had some anxiety, headaches, insomnia this year as I am reaching the last 3 weeks of my taper.  I switched over to a liquid valium for the last 3mgs.  It is very easy.  I am at 1.3mgs today and doing well.  So my entire taper will be a little less than a year.

I know it is kind of nerve wracking deciding how to do it.  There is no one right answer.  Sometimes you will taper and not feel good but then you know to hold that taper until you feel a bit better.  Some people do very well and have hardly a symptom.  Some have anxiety and insomnia.  Get rest when you can and read threads here on learning how to handle anxiety and stress.

You have worked very hard at learning everything you can.  I have seen many questions from you.  Questions are great but no one can tell you what you will feel like.  It is so very different for everyone.  Good luck.  Stop by my buddie blog anytime.

Oleander

Hi Oleander,

I just read your blog before your last post :) I know what it's like being prescribed antidepressants and instead of feeling better I felt so much worse. I had tried almost 15 of them after my first chemo because I had a mental breakdown. I was prescribed a low dose Lorazapam along with antidepressant. Since I get anxiety from the Epstein Barr I was put on Xanax. I took 1mg. for 5 years, almost everyday. I was put on Remeron (antidepressant) because it helps sedate, I had severe insomnia, another symptom of EBV and Chronic Fatigue, plus I was underweight from chemo. A side effect of Remeron is weight gain. I have never gained weight from it.

I did the Interferon/Ribavirin 4 times for Hepatitis C. Last treatment was 2004, doctor upped Xanax to 3 a day, but I kept it at 2.5mg. Klonopin was upped from 1mg. to 3mg. at bedtime since the treatment gave me just about every side effect listed. Long story short, I no longer have the Hep. C, but the EBV is very much active. I am in a major setback right now. I give myself B-12 injections each week.

You are remarkable, a very tough cookie. Thank you so much for your inspiring journey. I just took one less Xanax (.25), so we'll see how it goes. Tonight will be 3.25 Klonopin.

Happy Easter, He is risen!

Blessings,

Rhapsodygirl

[ba...]

rhapsodygirl,

I agree with Oleander.

I think you might feel better when you c/o to Klonopin.  If you are having interdose withdrawals right now, it's because your body is used to what it's getting.  You are going to be giving it something new so that could make the interdose withdrawals a little better.

Before I c/o to Valium from Klonopin.. I was nervous until I completely crossed over.

S#

Good for you, Rhapsodygirl!  Just take it easy and take it one day at a time.  Don't get nervous if you feel anxious because there is a psychological factor when you taper.  There are a lot of people here to help.  I was very nervous about tapering, especially after my c/t experience.  But little by little you feel so much better.  Even when I have insomnia or when I have a headache that lasts for 3 days, I am still much happier because I will finally be off of these things.  This taper gives you your power back.  That will help you in all areas of your life.

I have a friend who had hepatitis C.  She gave blood at a blood drive and that's how she found out.  She had no idea for 20 years she was carrying the virus.  She did have a blood transfusion when she had a child. That child is a married adult now.  I know how painful it was for her to go through the treatment.  It was very hard for her to continue working. I give you a lot of credit to be able to go through that, especially more than once.  I am glad there are no more traces of it.

I know you said you have chronic fatigue syndrome.  I have read that the Epstein Barr virus can cause that, though I am not totally sure.  I read a lot of medical books in my studies but there is so much to read and study that you kind of lose some of it after exams. 

You are a strong person to be able to go through all this but I think you will feel even stronger when you get rid of these benzos. 

Oleander

Thank you Oleander....You thought sparked a light bulb moment :) Eventhough I am exhausted and brain fogged I realized, and through much help from my soon to be husband that c/o x to k would REALLY zonk me out , 5.5mg. k total. He sat down with me last night and figured out a plan. He is SO supportive and understanding, willing to help in ANY way he can.

I dropped .25x yesterday and took my bedtime dose 3.25k. Slept well. This morning I'm going to take the .25 k and spread out 2mg. x. during the day, and take 3mg. k at bedtime. Stay at that for 7 to 10 days, depending on how I feel, then drop another .25. x and add .5mg. k during the day along with 1.50mg.x and keep bedtime 3mg. k..

When I'm off the x I'll be taking 4.25 k total. Then start tapering k. I feel better knowing I'm slow tapering x and c/o k during the day, the process won't be so long drawn out and I won't be on 5.5 k, but going down.

I am on SSI disability because of the chronic fatigue. The flare up I'm in right now will pass just like the others. I just have to take it one step at a time.

Congratulations on your wonderful progress!! You give me hope :)

Blessings,

Rhapsodygirl

That's so great, Rhapsodygirl.  That will be so great to c/o and get rid of some of it at the same time.  Then you won't be just starting to taper when you c/o.  Believe me, 4.25 is a lot less than 5.25mg.  It is important to have supportive people around you.  It's great that your fiance is on your side and an active part of your taper.  Sounds like a good guy.  I got one of those too! 

How great is it when you have a plan and all the tools to execute it?  It makes all the difference. 

Oleander