ativan or klon?

[...]

failed first taper with severe depression on valium,was put bk on klon then on ativan.my question is which is less depressing ativan or klon?and which would be more suitable to be on should one begin a taper again?ativan was my latest benzo 6yrs and klon only a small amount,the short time on klon i found it to be mind numbing ,and less activating that ativan.

they are all bad but need to function and my brain remebers ativan.but frightened of its short half life.Also how do people dose klon mostly once or twice a day?and the equiv to 25mgs valium for both klon or ativan is what...so many questions.If one goes from ativan to klon can one do it directly?no cross?

thank you in advance

katy

[d5...]

Katy,

All Benzo's can cause depression. Ativan, Klonopin, Valium.. all of them can.

IMO, the Klonopin, because it has a longer 1/2 life. You have been through some Benzo changes  :o ... as you taper, you don't want to set up a interdose withdrawal scenario.

How long were you on the Klonopin, and what dose? The dosages throughout the day depends, but usually 1-2 a day, 2-3 doses a day.

You can use water or milk titration to come off the Ativan, that's another option.

The equiv:

2.5mg of Ativan = 25mg of Valium

1.25mg of Klonopin = 25mg of Valium

To cross over from Ativan to Klonopin. You need to cross it over correctly. I wouldn't advise all at once, though some do.

S#

I tapered directly off Ativan, katy, but don't know if it would have been easier if I had been able to crossover to Klonopin or Valium first; that just wasn't an option.  I just wanted you to know it is possible to taper directly off Ativan.  It seems like the Ativan causes you fewer problems than the others you have been on.  You could start with a direct Ativan taper and then consider crossing over to a longer acting benzo after you get further down in dose if tapering becomes too difficult.  Good luck.

I was on klon for just under 2 weeks.I am really messed up ,on both now but just .25 of klon.thought i would tolerate the ativan better.but having interdose issues already.cannot get an ad in me but so depressed.dr doesnt care,in and out of hospital horrible scenerio so I should go bk to the clon .5 am .5pm and .25 in the afternoon?any ideas.

I am on my own wiht this.

thank you

Katy

Hi katy,

We can't tell you what drug to take, but we can let you know which ones seem to be the best for tapering and inter-dose withdrawal. We do know that switching them up is not doing you any good, so your best bet is to pick one and go with it, at least to get started.  As Beeper said, you can start with the Ativan because it's the one you're the most familiar with, then switch later on, but making a decision and sticking with it is your best bet for now.  Indecision can be very stressful as you know.

Pam

[d5...]

Katy,

I agree with Pam. I would stick with one or the other. I wouldn't recommend switching Benzos in a cycle that could lead to a scenario that will wreck your CNS more.

I will tell you what happened to me  :idiot:

I did a c/o from Klonopin to Valium, and then all at once dropped the Valium, and reinstating on a higher dose of Klonopin.. bad idea on my part.  :o

I crossed back over to Valium, and have stuck it out ever since, and it has went ok.

I understand the fear of what move to make next, as it's probable.

You ask yourself, "Will this happen"? or "Is this likely"? &c.

Try to stay calm, and know once off the Benzo, you will heal..

You have to take this process one day at a time, try not to project what will happen in a day or two days, or a week, month, year from now &c.

Also I agree with Beeper, if it gets too rough on down the road in the tapering process.. you can think about switching to a longer acting Benzo.

One step at a time, okay?

S#

One step at a time, okay?

This is exactly how everyone should approach this!  We try to think too far ahead, and this just makes us more anxious and confused.  The best thing to do it make a decision, start the journey and prepare for the prospect that you may need to make adjustments and corrections as you do this.  You're going to be okay, you can make this journey, you just have to start it.  :)