Please oh please help! How do I start my cutting dose down correctly...........

[Ch...]

I am on 1.5 mgs of Klonipin for 3 weeks after way too quick a step-down from 1mg that took only 6 weeks....And she has added 5 mg Valium, but have only been on for 4 days. I was on 1 mg for 5 years until tolerance raised it's UGLY INSOMNIA head in Dec,2010. Now at April 14, 2011 I am getting ready to start cutting my dose of this nasty benzo and would like you to do a titration schedule for me. Can you do that ?????? :'(

You mentioned in another post that you weren't up to doing titration, is this still the case?  If so, we can help you by helping you figure out how much to dry cut your pills.  Also, have you started taking the Valium and if so, is it your intention to cross completely over to that instead of the Klonopin? 

I have been on the 5 mg Valium for only about 9 days.........because of Insomnia and Anxiety I want to go slowly off the Valium. Only using it for the worst times. But I will try what ever method I can to go smoothly and slowly off of the Klonipin. Perhaps you can do both the dry cut down method and also liquid for me as I really have no where else to turn  :'(. I can do which ever one my brain functions enough to do. Thank you so much for your kindness and help in this most horrid time for me  :)

Using Valium as needed isn't a good idea, it's important that once you start tapering from the medication to always go down in dose. 

Did the increase in your total benzo intake (Klonopin and Valium) help the insomnia and anxiety you're experiencing?

The original reason for starting the Klonipin was because of horrible Insomnia after c/t a stomach medicine that nonone told me would cause NO sleep. Now after 5 years I am sure that my body is completely addicted to the Klonipin, but after going back on  and after adding the Valium I am sleeping again.......but the price is too high to pay. Is there any hope for sleep after beginning the step down? Because I landed in the hospital after 1 week of insomnia after last c/t in Dec. Whatever help you can give me will be great

I'm sorry to say that sleep is going to be a big problem for you, plus quite a few others since your body is tolerant to the drug.  Since you've only been on the Valium a short time, would you like to taper that first, or start with the Klonopin?

Starting with the Klonipin first, and do you think that staying on the 5 mg Valium for a few weeks and then moving down from that would be a way to go?

You should only taper one benzo at a time, and since Valium is the longer acting of the two, that would be best tapered last.  What size Klonopin tablets do you have?

At this time I have 2 mg tablets of Klonipin. I have a pill cutter, but how do I get small doses? Do I ask my DR for varying doseages from the pharmacy?

Those 2 mg pills will not do, not at all, you must ask your Dr to prescribe the .5 mg so you can taper properly.  I can help you learn how to dry cut the 2 mg pills, but I'll have to look around for help with that.  It involves cutting and smashing the pills and ending up with little piles of powder I think.  I never tapered, and most people use the smaller dose pills, so I'm not familiar with this method.  Or I could tell you how to do a simple titration until you can get the smaller dose pills.

I am seeing the DR on MOnday the 18th, that is when I am supposed to start the step down. I can certainly ask for the .5 prescription at that time. But can you please give me the simple titration also please???

[96...]

ChicoMarsha,

Pam is correct. You will need .5 mg tablets in order to do a dry cut taper.

I hope your doctor gives you the tablets you need.

S#

You won't need to do simple titration if you get the smaller dose pills.  With simple titration, you crush your tablet and mix it with a cup of water and take out maybe one tablespoon and drink the rest splitting it however you normally take your doses if you take more than one a day.  You do this for a week or two, then take out two tablespoons the next time and on and on.  But as I said, if you have the smaller dose pills, you can just use your pill cutter and cut them into halves or fourths and do it that way.

So, if I am on 1.75 (I take it all at night time, no doses during the day) how many .5 tablets should I ask the DR to make the prescription for?? It seems like it will take alot to make up the difference. Or should I ask the DR to write two different prescriptions? On for 2mgs for stepping down from the 1.5 until I am at .5 and then asking for the .5 prescription? Does this make sense?

As I understand it, you're on 1.50 mgs of Klonopin and 5 mgs of Valium, correct?  You can ask your Dr for the 5 mg pills of Valium for now, but when you taper from that, it would be best to get the 2 mg. DO NOT ask the Dr for 2 mg tablets, they're impossible to work with.  If you're concerned about cost then ask for the 1 mg for now, but really, the .5 will allow you to make smaller cuts to your doses so you'll be more comfortable.  It's been a long time since I purchased a benzo, but aren't they still pretty inexpensive if you get the generic?

okay, sorry for the confusion, but my brain takes some time to think things thru. Now if I understand it I am to continue to get a RX for 5 mgs Valium, right? And then get either the 1 mg or .5 mg of Klonipin, right?

should I step down to 1.0 from 1.5 as the Ashton manual suggests?? But I am not willing to up the Valium, or should I go slower and step down to 1.25 for the next 1-2 weeks?

sorry, for asking again, but is it best to step down from 1.5 (taken all at night) have added 5 mg Valium as Ashton suggests. but do I step down to 1.0 monday and add 10 mgs Valium (OMG) or only go down to 1.25 and stay at 5 mg Valium and see how it goes? I am really scared :-[

The equivalency Prof Ashton gives is .5mg Klonopin = 10mg valium.  So if you are going to drop .5mg Klonopin, you do need to replace it with 10mg Valium.  Then wait about 2 weeks and drop another .5mg K. while adding another 10 mg V.  Wait about 2 weeks and replace the last .5mg Klonopin with 10 mg Valium so you will be on a total of 30 mg Valium at the end of the crossover.  I'd wait another 2 weeks and then start tapering off the Valium about 10% every week or two.  I hope this is what you were asking about. I wasn't totally clear on what you were doing.  When you added the 5mg Valium, did you reduce any of your Klonopin dose?  If not, you have increased your total benzo intake which I don't think was your intention.  Hope not.  I probably misunderstood your post.

sorry, for asking again, but is it best to step down from 1.5 (taken all at night) have added 5 mg Valium as Ashton suggests. but do I step down to 1.0 monday and add 10 mgs Valium (OMG) or only go down to 1.25 and stay at 5 mg Valium and see how it goes? I am really scared :-[

I'm very confused ChicoMarsha, I thought you were going to dry cut your way off of the Klonopin and leave the 5 mgs of Valium in place, then taper from that at the end.  Are your plans to cross over your entire dose of Klonopin to Valium and taper from that?

I am very worried about adding more Valium, will it only put off my withdrawals?? Or will it help in the long run?

Insomnia for any length of time takes me right to the hospital. Please tell me if I can truly stand to do the dry cut without adding anymore Valium? The only reason it was even considered was because it is in the Ashton Manual to do so. But if people think I can do the dry cut without anymore "V" please tell me how and I will start Monday!! Am anxiously waiting to hear from you 

I see you started another thread and got some good feedback about dry cutting, but I wanted to explain something to you.  Professor Ashton suggests adding Valium but only while decreasing your other benzo.  At no time has she or any of us suggested to add Valium without decreasing your current benzo.

So are we clear now, you're going to taper the Klonopin without adding anymore Valium so you can become benzo free?  Or is it your desire to totally eliminate the Klonopin and increase the Valium the taper from only the Valium?