How do I talk my US doctor into the Ashton method

[to...]

I've read the Ashton manual and am horrified at her description of withdrawal.  I started the cold turkey way over a week ago and that didn't go well.  I ran to the doctor who put me back up on 15 mg (was on 30 mg) of restoril and added doxepin 100 mg.  The doxepin gave me flu like symptoms so I quit after 2 days.  I then tried the low dose doxepin 10 mg by pouring 90% of the power out, but that didn't do anything.  So I want to try the valium approach.  How can I convince my doc?  Is there any AMA, FDA, NIH or other US source that endorses the Ashton method?  

Note I've been on Restoril/temezapam for 10 years, and was on Ambien 10 years prior to that.  I also currently take 700 mg Soma/carisprodol, Klonopin 0.5 mg, and Remeron 30 mg along with 30 mg Restoril at bedtime, and even all that has stopped working.  I get knocked out fine but wake up at 4 am or 5 am around 50% of the time.

I'm scared to death after reading the Ashton stuff.  She makes withdrawal sound horrible.

Hi, totally hooked.

First you should know that no one gets all the withdrawal symptoms Prof Ashton describes and with a slow taper, the withdrawal effects can be minimized.  Many people quit benzos without ever joining a support forum and do fine.  Try not to project yourself into future trouble.  (I just read today that only 8% of what we worry about ever happens.  Don't know where they got that statistic but it sounds about right based on my own life. )

If your doctor won't support using the Ashton method, you might want to try the titration method.  That doesn't require any change to your benzo but still allows you to go really slowly.  I wasn't able to get my U.S. doctor to prescribe valium and used the direct dry cutting method to get off the very short acting benzo, lorazepam, so it can be done.  For me the key was to have a plan but being flexible.  BTW, I don't know of any credible US source that endorses the Ashton Method.  Sorry.  :-\

I think Beeper's point about being careful over projecting oneself into future trouble is so crucially important.  At least 50% (probably more) of successfully Benzo recovery consists of sheer attitude, and maintaining efforts to keep that attitude going.  By support or whatever method, one needs to make ongoing efforts to maintain some sense of confidence that they will eventually be okay.  This means we can only go so far in controlling the process.  This is most difficult at the start of the process when we get so stressed out over new information, facts, and various processes for benzo withdrawal. 

I think most everyone going through benzo withdrawal experiences hypervigilant control issues to varying degrees and at different stages in their recovery.  No doubt, going through benzo withdrawal will challenge your personal issues of control like no other situation in your life.  One has to be careful that efforts to control the process do not turn into myth building that lends itself to additional anxiety.  It does get better.

Draftsman 

Hi there,

The best bet on how to get your US doc to listen to the Ashton Method is to read it all, print it out, and bring it to him and discuss it in detail.  I found the more I studied and understood it, the better equipped I was to discuss it with him.  When he had an objection on something, I was able to counter that with something from Dr. Ashton.  I had to be sure to show my doc respect even though he never heard of Dr. Ashton or any kind of long taper.  I was able to talk him into it and get enough scripts to last me for a long taper. 

I actually just copied the entire Ashton Manual with the schedule and put it in a folder so it looked like I did the homework. 

Good luck.  I also agree, those symptoms discussed in the Ashton manual are the worst case and I don't know of anyone who has them all.  My symptoms have been pretty minimal for the most part.  I would concentrate on reading success stories here instead of worst case scenarios. You can feel like you have symptoms when you don't have them when you read to much about them.

good luck!

Oleander

• 2 weeks later...
[89...]
I'm scared to death after reading the Ashton stuff.  She makes withdrawal sound horrible.

I think what Beeper said is true. Most things we perceive or predict to happen.. it doesn't..

You will need to take it one day at a time in your taper, don't think about what is to come so much, as this adds worry, fear, and stress.. especially in or about withdrawal.

It's all in moderation..

You have got some good info. here...

Good luck with your doctor.

S#

I think Ashton describes it all, and it's usefulness lies in that when symptoms arrive, we are not taken aback.  We vary widely in the symptoms we experience, and share openly and profusely here on the forums.  It's much better for me to complain here than to my sig. other.  Some people have tolerable withdrawals and recover quickly.  I think it's helpful to hope for the best but know that if symptoms persist for a few weeks or months, it is not completely unexpected, and is largely out of our control.  My own doctors prefer to prescribe benzo than to believe that wd is a difficult process.  Maybe you cannot sell your doc on the whole Ashton process, but you can still get him/her to go along and work with you, that is, your doctor may not believe Ashton, but may believe you.