Xanax to Klonopin substitution rate

[ar...]

I'm a newbie here.  Several weeks ago, I tapered my Xanax from .5mg (3 times per day) to .25mg (3 times per day).  I tapered it within a matter of days, and it is evident that this was way too quickly--  I am now plagued by dizziness and headaches, which peak in their intensity between doses.  I brought up the issue of substitution with my doctor this morning.  He is unwilling to substitute with Diazepam, but he is willing to use Klonopin for this purpose.

My existing schedule is:

7am: .25mg X    12pm: .25mg X      5pm: .25mg X

My doctor is advocating a switch tomorrow to:

7am: .25mg K    12pm: .25mg X (prn "rescue dose")  5pm: .25mg K

I am wondering if this immediate, total substitution is a bit abrupt, and if I should make the switch to Klonopin a bit slower.  I wonder if I should start a little slower, such as:

7am: .25mg X    12pm: .25mg K    5pm:  .25mg X

to be followed by:

7am: .25mg X    12pm: .25mg K    5pm: .25mg K

and then:

7am: .25mg K    12pm: .25mg K    5pm: .25mg K

...and then taper the Klonopin down from there.  What do you think of my plan?  Is it sound in regards to a slower substitution?  Is there anything I might need to consider in regard to time of day, etc?  If my plan is put into effect, is a week for each portion of my substitution a good estimate to start with?  Thank you for your help.

I'm a newbie here.  Several weeks ago, I tapered my Xanax from .5mg (3 times per day) to .25mg (3 times per day).  I tapered it within a matter of days, and it is evident that this was way too quickly--  I am now plagued by dizziness and headaches, which peak in their intensity between doses.  I brought up the issue of substitution with my doctor this morning.  He is unwilling to substitute with Diazepam, but he is willing to use Klonopin for this purpose.

My existing schedule is:

7am: .25mg X     12pm: .25mg X      5pm: .25mg X

My doctor is advocating a switch tomorrow to:

7am: .25mg K     12pm: .25mg X (prn "rescue dose")  5pm: .25mg K

I am wondering if this immediate, total substitution is a bit abrupt, and if I should make the switch to Klonopin a bit slower.  I wonder if I should start a little slower, such as:

7am: .25mg X    12pm: .25mg K    5pm:  .25mg X

to be followed by:

7am: .25mg X    12pm: .25mg K    5pm: .25mg K

and then:

7am: .25mg K    12pm: .25mg K    5pm: .25mg K

...and then taper the Klonopin down from there.  What do you think of my plan?  Is it sound in regards to a slower substitution?  Is there anything I might need to consider in regard to time of day, etc?  If my plan is put into effect, is a week for each portion of my substitution a good estimate to start with?  Thank you for your help.

Substituting one dose at a time is how we would do it, argent.  I like your plan.  :thumbsup:  The variable will be how long you wait between substitutions.  I would think 7-14 days would be a good interval to make sure the Klonopin has built up sufficiently to take over for the Xanax.  I think  you'll know by how you feel.  In my opinion, if you feel good at the end of 7 days, you could go ahead and make the next substitution.

Substituting one dose at a time is how we would do it, argent.  I like your plan.  :thumbsup:  The variable will be how long you wait between substitutions.  I would think 7-14 days would be a good interval to make sure the Klonopin has built up sufficiently to take over for the Xanax.  I think  you'll know by how you feel.  In my opinion, if you feel good at the end of 7 days, you could go ahead and make the next substitution.

Thanks for the support!!!  I'll keep you updated.  :)

Hello argent,

I think your plan sounds very reasonable and good. I have made the switch from X to K and I did it a bit too fast.

Once your body gets used to K, you will probably feel much better because the nasty X interdose is gone. Good luck!  :)

I would strongly advise against anyone switching from Xanax to K abruptly, or with simply one X "rescue dose". Once a few years ago I switched from K to Xanax for just one week, then switched back without any crossover, and I had awful sx, tremors, panic, was miserable, even at 1.5x the equivalent dosages. IIRC it took a week to re-stabilize out, and this is back when I could tolerate benzo dose fluctuations and sporadic dosing pretty well even.