Tapering Xanax XR (24/March/2011)

[ra...]

Hello all

I decided to continue my forum from the introduction page.

Summary:

I will be seeing my psychatric doctor and he recently (3 weeks ago) put me on Lexapro 10 mg for anxiety and mild depression.

I was on Xanax XR (extended release) and I take 2 tablets x 0.5 mg (one around lunch and one around before sleep) religiously since 27 Dec 2010 (For about 3 months+)

My intake is follow:

Lunch time : 1 tablet of 0.5 mg Xanax XR

Sleeping time: 1 tablet of 0.5 mg Xanax XR

Today:

I have a long discussion with my psychatric about the taper plans. He seems to quite "knowledge in tapering" but let's see. I brought the Ashton but he said he does not need it as he said he has some knowledge.

He suggested me to take the following:

Lunch time: 1 tablet of 0.5 mg Xanax XR

Sleeping Time: 1 tablet of 5 mg Valium (I been pushing for 10 mg Valium but he's does not feel easy about it since he said it's strong and I never ever taken valium and can be quite sedating) but if there's any problem I can reach him.

He suggested the taper schedule is 25% decrement of the Valium every 14 days.

What do you guys think?

Thanks

The equivalents aren't exact of Xanax to Valium, in fact sources differ, so your Dr only wanting to put you on 5 mgs isn't unheard of.  He's correct, it's very sedating and this can often cause people to give up and go back to their old benzo.  I like the fact that he's going to let you crossover to the Valium while still leaving you on the Xanax.  Do you know when he intends to cross over your lunch time dose?  I hope he'll give you a week or two.

We typically see people taper the Valium once completely crossed over by 1 mg every week or two, will he support this?

I visit the pdoc every 14 days so during that time he will give me 14 days prescription. In other words the tapering plan is every 14 days.

He seems very open to discussion. I Don't know how he will switch the Xanax xr l

to valium during lunchtime but as above I see him every 14 days.

Thanks

Wow, you're being monitored quite closely, well I guess that good, better than being left in the cold.  I like the 14 days, but I truly hope he's going to taper you slowly.  I do want to ask though, he is going to crossover your noon dose to Valium before he tapers you from the Valium, correct?

Pam what you say is correct whereby he will switch the noon to Valium at much later stage but that will be discussed later. His plan is 25% every 14 days. Not sure it's wise.

I don't like the 25% either, but you might find it works for you.  If it doesn't, hopefully he'll listen to you when you tell him you're uncomfortable.

I slept only 5 hours up to 4am as I have some pain in right finger but that is normal since I have that on and off way before benzo time. As usual difficulty falling back to sleep. At 6 am I get slight anxious and sweat foot.

Say if I hold Valium at 5 mg all the 14 days will I get better?  Assuming I force myself not to take xanax xr at night.

Help please

It's pretty uncomfortable when folks first switch to Valium because it takes so long to build up in your system.  Hopefully you'll feel it's effects in a few more days and be able to sleep a little better.

Try not to take any extra doses, okay?

It is 730am here just sweaty feat n anxious. Yes I will not take extra dose and heed your advise.

I keep 5 mg valium all through the night of 14 days. Lunchtime I still take Xanax xr.

I am a newbie and been on Xanax XR for 3 months and started Lexapro 6 weeks ago.

Question 1:  What equipment do I need to buy for the tapering process if I want to reduce very slowly.

Question 2: "I do want to ask though, he is going to crossover your noon dose to Valium before he tapers you from the Valium, correct?".  I do not quite understand this question. Do you mean that I cannot do the taper starting from the next 14 days like tapering the night valium while maintaining the same noon dosage of Xanax XR?  Or that means the next 7-14 days I need to switch to valium for noon time at 5 mg and maintain?  Please explain more in details.

Question 3: "We typically see people taper the Valium once completely crossed over by 1 mg every week or two, will he support this?"  I thought 10% of 5 mg Valium = 0.5 mg? Please explain more in details.

Question 4: "I don't like the 25% either, but you might find it works for you."  Has anyone done reduction of 25% and what is their experience and comments?

Thanks heaps!

Question 1:  What equipment do I need to buy for the tapering process if I want to reduce very slowly.

If you're taking Valium, you don't really need to purchase equipment for liquid titration because the drug comes in very small doses, the lowest being two mg which makes it very easy to cut.  If you're like to take a look at titration, check out our titration board, watch the videos and when you're ready with all of the information you'll require, start a thread asking for a schedule.

Question 2: "I do want to ask though, he is going to crossover your noon dose to Valium before he tapers you from the Valium, correct?".  I do not quite understand this question. Do you mean that I cannot do the taper starting from the next 14 days like tapering the night valium while maintaining the same noon dosage of Xanax XR?  Or that means the next 7-14 days I need to switch to valium for noon time at 5 mg and maintain?  Please explain more in details.

Professor Ashton suggests crossing slowly over to Valium, her plans suggest doing this very slowly.  So it would be helpful for you to stay on the .5 mg Xanax at noon and the 5 mg Valium for 7 to 14 days to allow the drug to build in your system.  Then substitute the .5 mg Xanax at noon for another 5 mg and stay there for another 7 to 14 days, then begin a slow taper from the Valium then. 

Question 3: "We typically see people taper the Valium once completely crossed over by 1 mg every week or two, will he support this?"  I thought 10% of 5 mg Valium = 0.5 mg? Please explain more in details.

10% is a guideline, not a rule.  You can taper at whatever rate suits you and keeps you functional. 

Question 4: "I don't like the 25% either, but you might find it works for you."  Has anyone done reduction of 25% and what is their experience and comments?

You'll probably have to look around the forum to find this answer, experiences vary.

My psychatrist call me this morning to check on me  ;)  . That is very nice of him.

He said in the internet check most stated 0.5 mg Xanax = 10 mg Valium. He checked in the medical journal and he said 0.5 mg Xanax = 5 mg Valium. (At first meeting he wanted to give 2.5 mg valium is that too low? but he upped it to 5 mg after my discussion). HE said there's difference in medical journal and the web.

I ask him if I can switch the noon to Valium in the next 7 days = his answer is yes !

Feeling dizzy and very nausea.  :'(  (Wonder what cause the lack of sleep? Valium changeover or Lexapro)

Question (Help Help Help as I have no experience at all and please look properly):

Recap I only use 3 months Xanax XR

I prefer to have Valium at night so that I can rest well

Does this taper makes sense:

1) 7 days (0.5mg Xanax XR Lunch / 5 mg Valium)

2) 7 days (5 mg Valium / 5 mg Valium)

Start Taper:

3) First 10 days (5.0 mg Valium / 4.0  mg Valium)        [Calculation = 10 mg with 10% reduction = 9.0 mg]

4) Second 10 days (4.0 mg Valium / 4.0 mg Valium)  [Calculation = 9.0 mg with 10% reduction  = 8.1 mg]

5) Third 10 days (3.0 mg Valium / 4.0 mg Valium)     [Calculation = 8.1 mg with 10% reduction = 7.29 mg]

6) Fourth 10 days (3.0 mg Valium / 3.5 mg Valium) [Calculation = 7.29 with 10% reduction = 6.561 mg]

7) Fifth 10 days (3.0 mg Valium / 3.0 mg Valium) [Calculation = 6.561 with 10% reduction = 5.9049 mg]

8) Sixth 10 days (2.0 mg Valium/ 3.0 mg Valium) [Calculation = 5.9049 with 10% reduction = 5.31441]

9) Seventh 10 days (2.0 mg Valium / 2.5 mg Valium) [Calculation = 5.31441 with 10% reduction = 4.782969]

10) Eighth 10 days (2.0 mg Valium / 2.0 mg Valium) [Calculation = 4.782969 with 10% reduction = 4.3046721]

11) Ninth 10 days (1.5 mg Valium / 2.0 mg Valium) [Calculation = 4.3046721 with 10% reduction = 3.8742]

12) Tenth 10 days ???

13) Eleventh 10 days ???

……

Or can someone please recommend a taper plan (the pdoc can give me any tablets of any size for Valium)

Thanks Thanks Thanks.

I am sweating profusely with slight headache after sleeping 5 hours. Is that normal for using Valium?  It's tough.

Your plan looks good to me, ramelec, but remember it's just a plan.  You need to be flexible when tapering off benzos.  When you get close to the end, we can help you figure out how to finish your taper. 

As for the sweating, I had that as a withdrawal symptom and it lasted nearly 2 months.  That doesn't mean it will do the same with you.  So have you already started the crossover to Valium?  If so, that may be why you are having these symptoms; not so much because of the valium but the amount of valium is a little less than we usually recommend.  You may find that the symptoms settle down as your body adjust to the switch.

My heartbeat was racing when I got up it was scary. Even I took only 3 ninths does that mean I still need to do a very slow withdrawal? I look at ashton manual n she took off 1 mg of Valium every 7 to 14 days.  So which one should I follow?

I took 3 months of Xanax xr. Pls have a look at the beginning of the post and suggestion by Pamster. She said first week lunch still Xanax and before sleep change to vlium. After 7 days switch everything to valium. I hope this make sense?

My heartbeat was racing when I got up it was scary. Even I took only 3 ninths does that mean I still need to do a very slow withdrawal? I look at ashton manual n she took off 1 mg of Valium every 7 to 14 days.  So which one should I follow?

I guess that was a typo and you meant that you'd only taken the benzo for 3 months.  I don't know about a "very" slow withdrawal but a slow withdrawal is still what's recommended.  People can become dependent on their benzo in a month or even less so it still makes sense to taper off slowly.

Hello Pamster:  can you pls look at my taper schedule. In Ashton they remove Valium by every 1 mg every week.  Do you think I just follow 1 mg down every 7 to 14 days.

Do you think I can eliminate 0.5 mg as what I have written like 3.5mg, etc since in my country still yet to find a pill cutter? Your kind answer will be greatly appreciated. I plan not to do tiltration. Thanks.

Hi ramelec,

I'm glad Beeper has been here to help you while I've been away, she has much more experience with tapering than I do.  Your plan looks good, but you don't need to make it complicated by cutting by 10%, that's basically just a guideline, we tell people to listen to their body while doing this. 

I've seen people cut by 1 mg every 7 to 14 days, you might try that to start out.  Oftentimes I'll see them slow it down as they get lower in dose, so you might try going down to .5 mgs if you feel that would be best.  The best thing you can do is remain flexible and let your body be your guide.  ;)

Thanks and by the way if I go with 1 mg reduction every week+ how would I know how my body feel when I m ready for the next reduction?

Question

1. What are the symptoms to look out for?

2. If there is some hiccups do a person still hold on to the same dosage as long as possible?

Thanks.

I don't have personal experience with tapering since I quit cold turkey, but I've heard that it takes between 2 and 10 days to feel the cut.  You feel miserable for a few days, then you notice you don't feel so bad, and you decide its time to start it all over again.

You can certainly hold your dose if things don't feel right, but going extremely slow doesn't really hold any advantage from what I've seen.  I'm sure you'll find your rhythm.

I don't have personal experience with tapering since I quit cold turkey, but I've heard that it takes between 2 and 10 days to feel the cut.  You feel miserable for a few days, then you notice you don't feel so bad, and you decide its time to start it all over again.

QUESTION: So whenever a cut is down, all I need is to monitor my body within at least 7 days. If everything is fine, then I taper the next step?

You can certainly hold your dose if things don't feel right, but going extremely slow doesn't really hold any advantage from what I've seen.  I'm sure you'll find your rhythm.

QUESTION: Say if during there's a hiccup, does that mean hold the same dose (don't increase) as long as possible?

I've seen people cut by 1 mg every 7 to 14 days, you might try that to start out.  Oftentimes I'll see them slow it down as they get lower in dose, so you might try going down to .5 mgs if you feel that would be best.  The best thing you can do is remain flexible and let your body be your guide

QUESTION: Does that mean it becomes a challenge when the Valium dose gets reduced to a smaller amount? So at what dose I should keep an eye? When I reach what Valium dose? (rough guide)

Hi, ramelac.

I understand that you want to gather as much information as possible, but trying to figure out what to do "what if" is pretty futile in my opinion.  The important thing is to get started dropping a sensible amount, eg, about 10% and see how it goes.  If you feel fine after a week, that might be the time to make the next reduction or you could wait 2 weeks.  It's really up to you.  I think generally it's better to go slower at first to minimize symptoms and then speed up a bit over the coming weeks and months if all is going well - or to keep doing what you're doing as in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".  ::)  There really are a lot of ways to get the job done and no one right way that works for everyone.

Hi ramelec,

Beeper is spot on in her comments, this will be a work in progress for you.  You'll just kind of feel your way as you go and make adjustments as necessary until you get a little more comfortable with the process.  Just begin, that's the only thing you need to do and see how you feel.  When you begin to experience some different feelings, come here and ask about them, you can start a new thread like other do or post them here.

You're going to be okay, you'll get the hang of this.  ;)

Thank you all for your wonderful support. Greatly appreciate it with many thanks.

Is it ok if I taper the lunch time valium to zero and then start tapering the valium night time to zero? The reason is I want to use Valium as a good night rest?  I don't want to have valium during lunchtime or else I be a zombie.