Petition about Benzos!

[pa...]

Hi, know this is not the place I should post this... just thought it would be best to connect with all.  Some of you probably know about this Petition, many problem do not.  Go to Benzo.org... Dr (Prof) Ashton's site, where her manual is.  In the center of the webpage, there is an automatic scrolling... that's where the petition is.  As of last night, they at 2900+ who had signed... We all need to.  Just wanted to pass this on to all who don't know about it.  Best to u all. Pattylu

• 1 month later...
Awwwwwesome petition!!!!!!!!  I went to the link, read it and signed it.  It was extremely well worded and easy to sign electronically.

Here is another petition to sign as well.   [nobbc] www.benzosupport.org [/nobbc]   It will pause when you press comment on the petition comment link, just give it a second.

I've corresponded a few times with one of the ladies that put this together. There were 2 or 3 ladies I believe. The petition is extremely thorough as well.

The good news is, I was curious how it was going and emailed her 2 weeks back and first thing, the FDA is seriously looking at it now. Seriously she said. The FDA is supposedly bringing other people to the table on this one to read it. It's a start right? And this one is still open for comment as well. And second thing, they have blended the one you listed in with theirs even though it is somewhat different. But it does show more sigatures and how many people have been harmed.

With the one I've linked, I've read the whole thing, and they are being realistic, so trying to get the labelling changed to 2-4 weeks. It is very well written.

Edit:  I've deactivated the link, it would be best if those who want to sign this, copied and pasted the URL into another browser, thank you.

• 1 month later...

Any information on when and what the next step is? How long will it take FDA to "look" at it? What do they do then?

Also, anyone know about the possibilities at this point of a class action suit?

Wendy B

The FDA is looking at the one I posted. Again, the signatures from both petitions were included. I know this as I am in contact with the people that put it together.

They told me the FDA is taking it seriously, however, they have this specific problem with the signatures people write about in regards to the long painful withdrawal. The FDA said they need more people writing that they had long horrendous withdrawals after taking a benzodiazipine for 2-4 weeks only. This is needed in order to substantiate that the guidelines of 2-4 are in fact, necessary. Can you believe that?

IMO I wish it could be emphasized how this drug can change the brain in as little as what 7?,8? days etc., if taken consisitently. THAT, would put it in a different ballpark I think. ( I can never find that reference, if anyone knows which info area it is in please post it.)

When people sign it and took it shorterm it's really important to include that.

Here is a quote from a prior class action suit in the UK. I've taken the quote from this link under the "History" heading paragraph section.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benzodiazepine

The new group of drugs was initially greeted with optimism by the medical profession, but gradually concerns arose; in particular, the risk of dependence became evident in the 1980s. Benzodiazepines have a unique history in that they were responsible for the largest-ever class-action lawsuit against drug manufacturers in the United Kingdom, involving 14,000 patients and 1,800 law firms that alleged the manufacturers knew of the dependence potential but intentionally withheld this information from doctors. At the same time, 117 general practitioners and 50 health authorities were sued by patients to recover damages for the harmful effects of dependence and withdrawal. This led some doctors to require a signed consent form from their patients and to recommend that all patients be adequately warned of the risks of dependence and withdrawal before starting treatment with benzodiazepines.[128] The court case against the drug manufacturers never reached a verdict; legal aid had been withdrawn and there were allegations that the consultant psychiatrists, the expert witnesses, had a conflict of interest. This litigation led to changes in the British law, making class action law suits more difficult.

VC, can I go back into the petition and add that my w/d was long and horrendous?  I have tried to modify my signature before and add this information to no avail.  Can you ask the people you know how to do this?  I saw people had done this with their signatures AFTER I had already signed my name.  I wanted to do it too, but couldn't figure out how to get back in to add this to my signature.

I would be seriously grateful if you could find this out! 

I'll ask for you as that is a good question. I'll bet you'd have to rewrite though. And, thing is, they are looking for shorterm users with long horrendous withdrawals. That's what they want to see. Hard to get people to specifically understand this deal as yes,  longterm users have just the same grounds. Many longtimers would never have taken the drug if they knew that they were not told the truth simply because the medical community is not required to learn the facts.

I was thinking the other day as I read somewhere in the pubmed post where it is referenced with benzodiazipines  the "benefits out way the risks."

How can one say "the benefits out way the risks" in regards to ANYTHING, when they do not learn the truth of the risks 100% therefore do not explain them.

Not really a truthful statement anymore is it? They do not even know the risks in order to say that.