I want to substitute 1.5mg Xanax to Valium and then Titrate from there.

[Pa...]

Hi, Pat.

According to Prof Ashton's Benzo Equivalancy tables, 1.5mg xanax = 30 mg valium.  However, benzo equivalencies are approximate and you may have to adjust your dose once you cross over.  We've recently had some members who became too sedated on what was supposed to be an equivalent amount of valium and had to cut back their dose.  Hope this helps.

If you cross over to Valium, you are highly unlikely to need to titrate. Valium has a long half-life, so you are unlikely to suffer inter-dose withdrawal effects (even if taken 1-2 times a day); and it comes in relatively low-potency 2mg pills.

Thanks....great place to start but do you know where I can get a titrate schedule for after I crossover?

The ashton manual has a taper schedule.  You can get it at benzo.uk.org

I see colin mentioned no need to titrate off valium and yes, the doses are much smaller (smallest valium is 2mg (comes in 10mg, 5mg and 2mg) so you can taper without titration.

I plan to titrate valium and do a much slower taper than ashton's 5 to 10 percent cuts.  I'm gonna turtle taper 3% with each cut which means i may have to use titration.

Also, i'm gonna jump from the lowest amount possible so that will require titration at the end.

I didn't experience greater sedation on valium.  I did experience improved daily functioning and the absence of flattened emotions; now everything seems funny.  It's because V is a sedative similar to alcohol whereas klonopin and xanax are hypnotics.  That's my understanding from reading about the various benzos.  Also, i am speaking from my experience.

peace and good luck with your crossover.  mine was difficult but doable.

libby.

Thanks....great place to start but do you know where I can get a titrate schedule for after I crossover?

After you crossover, you can start a thread on the Titration Tapers board and give the necessary information described there.  If I were you, I would wait a month after the crossover before starting to taper and would probably try a dry cut taper first before going through the hassle - and extended timeframe - of a titration taper.  ;)

After you crossover, you can start a thread on the Titration Tapers board and give the necessary information described there.   If I were you, I would wait a month after the crossover before starting to taper and would probably try a dry cut taper first before going through the hassle - and extended timeframe - of a titration taper.  ;)

For many the extended time frame of a titration taper makes the taper and jump off benzos more comfortable.  Chose your own pace.  Benzo freedom isn't a race; benzo freedom is a goal.

peace,

libby

Hi Pat,

it takes time for valium to build up in your body, so i would recommend a slow, well planned c/o. Due to difference in half lives this c/o can make you go thru some nasty w/d symptoms if done too fast.

Substituting xanax with a longer acting benzo is a good plan and i'm sure you will do just fine  :thumbsup:

Hi Pat,

it takes time for valium to build up in your body, so i would recommend a slow, well planned c/o. Due to difference in half lives this c/o can make you go thru some nasty w/d symptoms if done too fast.

Substituting xanax with a longer acting benzo is a good plan and i'm sure you will do just fine  :thumbsup:

Yes, this is generally little understood, even by many doctors. A cut in dose of a short-acting benzo, like Xanax, results in a rapid corresponding drop of blood levels. The replacement Valium will take a lot longer to build up in the blood. So, this is why substitution should be carried out over many weeks, switching just a small part of the dose with each substitution. It also allows for adjustment of the substitution dose, as equivalency rates will vary quite considerably from individual-to-individual.

Some doctors switch their patients in a single substitution, even at high doses. In my opinion, this is not sensible, and not what Prof. Ashton did with her patients.