Math Wizards help me find my dosage please!

[Ju...]

So my current daily dose is 1.5 mg divided into two doses morning at night. I’ve read that I need to reduce on the average about 5% of my current dose a month and I’m working with .25 tablets. I figured out that 5% of my total dose is 0.075. Is this correct? Is that how much I should taper in one month? How much of a .25 tablet would that be? Previously when tapering Xanax and working with the .25s I tapered a quarter every two weeks and if I remember correctly a quarter of a .25 is .0625 mg, so how does .0625 compare to the 0.075 mg a month from my total dose.. is it close? which is greater?  I’m only interested in directly tapering from dry cutting the Xanax and like I said I’m working with .25 mg pills. My brain can’t do math so I hope somebody can help me with this. I’m doing a so-called micro taper just shaving very small amounts of dust off every couple of days or so and then holding until I get to a full quarter of a .25 which again is .0625 mg. So how does that compare to  the 5% reduction a month from my total dose of .1.5 mg a day?.. I know this is confusing but I think maybe you’ll understand what I’m trying to find out. Is it close? Which is greater.. .0625 or the 0.075. Thanks in advance!

ps I do understand the numbers will change as my daily total dose reduces..

Just a suggestion……would you be better off weighing your bits of tablet on a jewellers scale?

I did this and the maths was fairly simple. Just a thought.

Hardy x

Just a suggestion……would you be better off weighing your bits of tablet on a jewellers scale?

I did this and the maths was fairly simple. Just a thought.

Hardy x

I got one, I can NOT understand how to do the math, it made me crazy.. I figured I was safe enough doing it this way. But I’m willing to try again if you’re willing to try to explain it to me again lol!

Your maths is correct. If you reduce 0.075 from a starting dose of 1.5mg you are tapering by 5%. If you are cutting 0.0625 off 1.5mg you are reducing by 4.1%

The way to calculate this is take the reduction divided by the starting dose times a hundred.

0.075/1.5=0.05

0.05x100=5%

0.0625/1.5=0.041

0.041x100= 4.1%

I hope this answers your question.

PS: we usually recommend tapering between 5-10% every 2-4 weeks based on your symptoms.

Your maths is correct. If you reduce 0.075 from a starting dose of 1.5mg you are tapering by 5%. If you are cutting 0.0625 off 1.5mg you are reducing by 4.1%

The way to calculate this is take the reduction divided by the starting dose times a hundred.

0.075/1.5=0.05

0.05x100=5%

0.0625/1.5=0.041

0.041x100= 4.1%

I hope this answers your question.

PS: we usually recommend tapering between 5-10% every 2-4 weeks based on your symptoms.

Ok thank you! I’m finally getting somewhere on here… so I’m actually tapering below the 5 percent, but pushing the “micro-cutting” a little too much? I was trying to get to a .0625/quarter cut

in at least a week, so I should slow it down and take as least 2 weeks of micro-cutting to reach a full .0625/quarter cut.. possible a month..? When I tapered in the past I did a full .0625/quarter cut each time I tapered, about once a month. I had minimal side effects I guess I could say, but I did get tachycardia the 3rd and 4th day every time like clock work.. and I can’t afford to push it like that this time as I’ve been recently diagnosed with AFib and PSVT, so I’m trying to stay below that side effect if possible. I have appointments in the upcoming months with a electrophysiologist to do a stress test, a study, and a possible ablation that could fix all this for me, but my damn primary care doctor is suddenly pushing me to start tapering again, even though she told me a few months ago just to stop until I got through all this heart stuff. I don’t know what’s going on with her, it seems those above her head are trying to stop them from prescribing benzos, is what I’m hearing.. Soooooo here I am and here we go… 😬

It's all about the symptoms. We give guidelines because you gotta start somewhere and it gives us a point of reference when we give advice and we look at how people have been tapering. But the most important is to taper according to your symptoms. Some people taper a lot slower than this because their symptoms just don't allow a faster taper. You want to remain functional and keep your symptoms in check - period.

I’ll leave you in Jelly’s capable hands!

If you want to use the scale and start weighing please let me know and I’ll help as much as I can.

Every good wish.

Hardy x

Thank you both for showing up, I’ve got a definite plan now at least that I can understand. I’m going back to see my GP this morning and try to talk to her more about what’s going on and see if she’ll possibly consider letting me wait til I get through the series of appointments with the electrophysiologist in the upcoming months before restarting the taper. It would be much better with a successful ablation behind me. That’s my biggest concern, setting off the AFib and-or the PSVT and having to take that adenosine.. talk about horrible, I don’t ever want to do that again. We’ll see what personality she’s in today, hopefully it’s the nice helpful one 👍🏻 if not, I guess I’ll start the taper, I’ve been waiting to get a couple of “good days” under my belt, with no arrhythmia episodes, thus far I have a couple of bouts every day.. I might have to start regardless and just let whatever happens happen 🤢

Indeed, hope it’s the nice helpful one.

Whatever, hope you get on ok.

Hardy x.

Good news! The Dr was agreeable today, she said I must have misunderstood her the other day. She said she’s fine waiting for me to get through the process of getting the ablation with the electrophysiologist before I resume tapering, so I don’t have to worry about causing myself any undue problems by tapering now.. such a relief! So thank you guys for helping me get a plan and I guess you’ll see me back in a couple of months, after I get that done 👍🏻

I think I’ll toy with it still though and just go ridiculously slow in the meantime just to be doing something. Just the idea of not being pushed like I thought I was being has lessened the stress of it all and I feel much calmer about the whole deal.. plus I know I gotta do this regardless, ablations don’t always work 🤷🏻‍♂️and again, at least I’ll be going in the right direction. It’ll be interesting going as slow as I’ll be going to see if I can slip/drop some mgs under the wire with no significant withdrawals..

I'm so happy for you!

I do think it will be wise to start a slow taper in the meantime. We see so many people who are being cut off or rushed off as well as shortages of drugs. I don't want to scare you but I do think you'll be grateful in the long run if you started to make some progress on your taper. Just something to think about. :smitten:

I'm so happy for you!

I do think it will be wise to start a slow taper in the meantime. We see so many people who are being cut off or rushed off as well as shortages of drugs. I don't want to scare you but I do think you'll be grateful in the long run if you started to make some progress on your taper. Just something to think about. :smitten:

👍🏻