Xanax Taper

[Su...]

Hello,

I am about to taper from xanax. I just calculated the time I've been on it and I have been on 1mg for about 5 weeks and 1.5mg for 3 weeks. Would it be too risky to go down by .5 for the first cut only since it has only been 3 weeks and then go slow after that?

The next question is since xanax is fast acting I would like to know how quickly I would feel withdrawal symptoms if I've cut too much? Thanks.

I forgot to mention that during those 3 weeks I also took 1.25 for like 3 days or so.

Yvette

For a lot of folks out there they can taper quickly without any problems from the dose you’ve been on and for the amount of time you’ve been in it. Not everyone has a problem with it like “we” do, which is why “we” end up here! Why/How did you end up here? Just googling how to taper? If so, you could very well possibly tolerate the standard Drs taper of a half a .25 every 1 or 2 weeks.. Others might will flip over that suggestion but it all depends on your individual experience, why did you start taking it, and how you’ll respond to tapering. We’re all different, and again, there’s lots of folks that only suffer the typical withdrawals, nervousness, jittery, etc.. especially with short term use.. try cutting a .5 in quarters and starting with just leaving a quarter out, see how you tolerate that. In a previous taper I cut out a full 1mg (3mg a day) before I started tapering.. 🤷🏻‍♂️ just my 2 cents.

I was on Xanax in 2021 for about 8 month 1.5mg per day. I tapered by .125 every 2 weeks with no symptoms. I am dealing with anxiety at the moment but I just don’t want to stay on Xanax. Just a little nervous the second time around because I just don’t know if it will be the same.

Correct. I started having anxiety again and started using it. I still have anxiety but I decided I don’t want to deal with being on Xanax again.

Well I’d still say what I said originally, although I mean to say cut a quart of a .25, and a .5.. what mg pills are you working with? If I were in your shoes and from what I’ve read of your previous post in ‘21.. I’d try to do it quick myself, if my only side effect were insomnia and anxiety.. there’s other ways to handle those things. If you’re not dependent to the point of severe withdrawals I’d get off quick as I could tolerate. You’ll know when the first withdrawals hit.. you’ve done it before right? I’m in the same boat, I’ve got off before.. but doing it again is like the first time. I keep reminding myself I’ve done this before successfully..