Atlanta shooter and ativan

[Be...]

This morning the mother of the man responsible for the shootings yesterday said he was angry that the doctors would not give him ativan. I have no idea what his medical history is, but the idea that a benzo was at the core of one of these stories didnt suprise me.

Klonapin made me so angry and irrational...

I saw that. She said they put him on something else and wouldn’t say what it was. What a mess this all is. If you try to warn people of the dangers of these drugs the pushback is so hard. My guess is he was in withdrawal and whatever they gave him triggered a homicidal type of psychosis.

I'm so scared of things going wrong that way. I don't have weapons or anything (not from the US) but I get benzo rage and verbally I can scream very angrily, it scares also myself. Aren't you afraid?

Afraid of myself, no? Afraid things like this are going to get worse and continue to happen? Yes. Especially with the huge mental health push happening here in the states. And the vilification of “mental illness,” homelessness and now a push for vigilantism to solve the “problem” disturbs me greatly. Stories like this will fuel the flames, and not in the correct direction.

Okay, I'm very afraid of symptoms getting worse and wgat will happen if/when I get my visualisation back and the rage and restlessness etc. It really scares me to be so not myself at all. I was a sunshine. I never got angry. I was always super reasonable and calm. And then they gave me cortisone for no reason and then my GP drugged me with this instead of helping me understand what was happening etc.

I think hurting ourselves is more probable than hurting others. If you are a calm, happy, sunshine, gentle person underneath all of that rage, you will be fine. At the end of the day, who you are underneath will prevail, and you’ll probably become more compassionate and empathetic. I read something about why the rage and why it occurs, scientifically, and it made so much sense, but I don’t remember now, sorry!

I was extremely compassionate and empathic before. Too much so. If I do manage this hell, I think I will forever be more harsh and less empathic towards others.

I’ve moved this thread to Benzo’s in the News, it wasn’t a good fit for Chewing the Fat.  There is nothing wrong with discussing current events as long as it doesn’t get into the realm of politics but we’re getting reports about this topic, its upsetting members.  I understand we’re adults and we have the freedom to discuss topics of interest but many of our members consider this forum their safe space so I ask you to be mindful of others. 

Can you please tell us what is upsetting other members? This is a safe space for me too. Is there a way to block members or threads that make us feel unsafe? I usually just scroll by and move on if I feel uncomfortable, or triggered. It’s empowering to be able to control my own emotions and actions, and make my own decisions, especially after years of polypharmacy. Thank you.

I mean the post also scared me so I see why it is triggering, not having control over yourself like that...

Can you please tell us what is upsetting other members? This is a safe space for me too. Is there a way to block members or threads that make us feel unsafe? I usually just scroll by and move on if I feel uncomfortable, or triggered. It’s empowering to be able to control my own emotions and actions, and make my own decisions, especially after years of polypharmacy. Thank you.

If you go to your profile, then modify profile there are some options you can choose.  You’re wise to avoid posts that make you feel unsafe, that’s a healthy way to use the forum.  :thumbsup: