Do I need to taper if I don't use Benzos daily?

[yd...]

I have been using Klonopin to help me sleep because I have had insomnia since I was a teen. I rarely used Klonopin in the day.

I would use it for 3 days and then take a week or 10 days off. Then in-between I would use Lyrica and there would be days that I didn't use anything.

I decided to quit both a few months ago because my tolerance went up, so it was a waste of money.

I had awful insomnia for 2 weeks and relapsed. I'm not currently sober, so do I taper the Klonopin, isn't that adding more to my system because I didn't use every day?

To be honest I don't know if it's the Lyrica or Klonopin that is giving me insomnia or both.

Should I taper? Or quit cold turkey again? Insomnia was the only symptom, for 2 weeks.

What is your dose and how often are you taking it?  I typically blame the benzo when other drugs are involved, it seems to be the worst in regard to symptoms and length of recovery.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the late reply. I am currently using 6mg of Klonopin for sleep for like 3 days a week.

Yesterday I tried cutting it to 4mg and I only had 5 hours of sleep.

Is it ok to quit cold turkey? I'm just worried that I haven't had sleep naturally in about 3 years.

Quitting cold turkey from that dose for as many years as you have taken it will most likely send you into very harsh withdrawals.  I quit 6-10 mgs cold turkey and the symptoms were brutal, I could only lie on the couch and writhe in pain, it was the worst experience of my life.

If I’m scaring you, I’m glad, this was my intention.  I strongly suggest you taper, and if you find it find it easier than you anticipated you can speed it up but if its difficult, then slowing it down is a good idea.

How long after quitting did those withdrawals and aches start? Because the last time I quit cold turkey it was just 2 weeks of insomnia, no aches etc.

This was a couple months ago.

Forgot to add that I haven't been on that dose or 3 years, my tolerance went up, I don't remember my starting dose, either 1mg or 2mg I believe.

I would wait at least 7 days before using again but used Lyrica in between or weed, an antihistamine or nothing etc for sleep. Then after 7-10 days I would use Klonopin for 3 days, repeat, repeat repeat.