Need help with Ativan taper

[Ra...]

I will help you.

First a bit of advice.  Many people find a easy time "the first time" they taper off a benzo.  But the second time, things get real hard.  So in whatever taper you do, try not to updose and when you do get off the benzo, do not go back on it.

Ok, that said, if you want my advice, I start people with a simple liquid taper first.  Then, if any problems happen, we do the more difficult dry taper.

So liquid is easy.  First, decide how fast you want to taper.  Most do well with a 3 month taper (90 days).  So you will use 90 mL of water.  If you want to do 60 days, use 60 mL of water to start.

Here are the steps (for 90 days).

EACH DAY:

Get a jar big enough to hold 90 mL of water.

Add your benzo.

Optional - add a few drops of vodka to break down to benzo.  If you skip this step, then just stir harder in the step below.

Now all 90 mL of water and stir very well.

TAPER PLAN

Day 1 - remove 1 mL of the mixture and drink the rest

Day 2 - remove 2 mL of the mixture and drink the rest

Day 3 - remove 3 mL of the mixture and drink the rest

and so on until day 90 you are done.

You can drink it all at once or drink half two times a day or just sip on it throughout the day.

Note - after drinking it all, swirl water in the jar and drink this rinse water.

Keep a journal of your symptoms.  Remember, symptoms come and go so when you see this in your journal, it will bring your peace during the hard times.

Bob

• 1 month later...

So liquid is easy.  First, decide how fast you want to taper.  Most do well with a 3 month taper (90 days).  So you will use 90 mL of water.  If you want to do 60 days, use 60 mL of water to start.

Hi Bob, I really like the sound of your taper plan. It is nice and simple. I have been on 1mg of ativan once per day for a bout a year, do you think it would work for me?

Would you say this taper is still slow enough to avoid serious benzo withdrawal problems?

I am a former addict and quit many substances cold turkey and honestly wish I could do the same with benzos. Imagining spending my entire summer in slight withdrawals sucks.

That's why I'm wondering how you will feel during this style of 90 day taper. Will you be constantly uncomfortable? Or is it slow enough to ease you out of it while still being able to sleep and function?

Honestly I want to do a 30 day taper and then just accept whatever comes after, but the warnings in this forum about benzos have scared me out of my desire for a cold turkey :(

The speed of your taper depends on how long you were on benzos.

If you have used benzos for more than a year, then yes, 90 days will make it smoother.  Remember, if you are dependent on benzos, then there will be some withdrawal.  The trick is to find a level that is tolerable.

The speed of your taper depends on how long you were on benzos.

Oh I see, ok thank you Bob. I will try the 90 day plan, and if anything weird starts to happening I'll just freeze the taper there and not reduce it until everything feels ok again and then continue the taper (like your signature says)

Do you think life will need to freeze while I do this? Like will I be unable to enjoy a concert, etc while withdrawing?

Trying to decide if I should wait until after the summer to do it. Winter sounds like a better time to be in agony haha I had plans for this summer :( wanted to go hiking, take an lsd trip, go see a festival maybe. However maybe it is better for me to get off benzos before I do any of that anyway. I am definitely experiencing interdose withdrawals so ya maybe I should just get it over with.

Also let me add a suggestion.

You need to control anxiety in order to keep the symptoms down.

Having plenty of things to do to distract you is a good way to address anxiety.

So maybe you don't want to wait for the dead of Winter to do this.