Son of Benzo Addict

[qu...]

Hi!

It's nice to join a forum that is dedicated to supporting people through a unique problem that is so overlooked. It's been an issue in our family for while.

I'm 30 years old and don't take any medication, but I just moved back in with my mom who needs support managing her addictions.

A couple of weeks ago, she was hospitalized after an alcohol bender and was put on a Librium taper. After digging through her scripts, I found out she was taking 3mg of Klonopin and 6mg of Xanax together after being clean from benzos for 6 months. I'm hoping to help her taper off of benzos completely.

Looking forward to chatting with y'all!

-qualityoflife

Hello qualityoflife :hug: Welcome to Benzobuddies!

We are glad you joined our community.  We always welcome members who are supporting loved ones.  I hope your mom will join us also.  Is mom ready to begin a taper.  This forum is a great place  for support. The idea of withdrawal can be scary, let mom know to take it slowly, it’s going to take a while, but its going to be worth it!  Some people can effectively withdraw with few symptoms, withdrawal symptoms are temporary, we are here to encourage  and offer support.    It’s generally suggested reducing between 5% and 10% every 10 - 14 days, many of us need to go slower than this, best to taper at a rate you feel comfortable with.

I found that The Ashton Manual, was a great resource for me, helped me understand the effect benzo’s have on the body.  It also provides withdrawal information and includes a list of common symptoms 

I'll leave you a few links:

The Ashton Manual

Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidelines

For tapering advice post here:

Planning Your Withdrawal (TaperPlans)

If you would like to add a signature (history of meds/doses etc) to help members give relevant advice.  Please go to the top of the page and select PROFILE then choose forum profile then insert drug history into the text box and remember to click change profile

Welcome aboard

Magrita

Hi Quality,

Just wanted to say hello and compliment you on stepping in to help your mom.  A lot of healing can take place with the process.  Not an easy road ahead but definitely worthwhile.