My friend decided to JUST STOP HER ZOLOFT - I NEED HELP

[Mi...]

Hi I do not know where to post this , but I need help

I was discussing with a friend two weeks ago about the dangers of psychotropic meds. She's on Zoloft. The lowest dose & has been taking it for one year. I educated her on my experience with benzos. My experience is cold turkey with Ativan. I do not know anything about antidepressants and tapering.

Well, she took my talk seriously & decided to just stop taking her antidepressant 10 days ago. I did not want to scare her, but I am trying to know what to do. I did not think she'd just stop taking it. She says she is not having any issues.

She was taking  the lowest dose every other day for two weeks before she stopped.

She reached out to me today to tell me how happy she was that she stopped the Zoloft because she was feeling so sedated on it, & she has been thinking about stopping it for a while now . She said in the last 10 days she "had a few brain zaps here and there nothing horrible and one panic attack that  went away quickly."

Do some people just "walk off" of antidepressants with no issues ?

I don't know much about tapering. I told her to be on the lookout for any symptoms and let me know if she has problems. She sounded quite happy & normal to me. I did not want to say "hey you should get back on the drug & taper off."

What do I tell her ? Anything? I hope she's just one of those lucky people & she's ok.

Please keep replies kind & helpful. Not scary and random .

Thanks

-Fortitude

I think if she was going to have a bad reaction that she would have already but tell her to never do it again. This is a sure way to end up in a psychiatric hospital. Have her check out the surviving antidepressants website. It’s like this one but all about antidepressants. The brain zaps could stop if she continues a slow taper.

I took a large reduction unknowingly last week and my doctor didn’t tell me that’s what it was and I felt like I needed to be committed on Wednesday. Thank God I’m okay because I figured out what was going on and took a couple of benzos to help stabilize my mind.

Your friend is lucky to have someone who cares enough to post this.

I got off antidepressants with no issues that I knew of. Now whether it primed my CNS to have problems later, who knows...

I walked off the smallest dose of Zoloft 6-7 years ago no problem.

Just be aware that coming off that drug can give people histamine issues.

I didn’t have that, but my sister did.

I did feel quite flat for a long time and looking back was a bit edgy.

I did neurofeedback a few years later and was 💯

Winnie

I walked off a small dose of zoloft taken for only 1 week and had no blowback. My psych NP told me to just stop taking it -- it was making me feel very odd. Not myself and I was stressing about it. So maybe she'll be okay. If after 10 days she's not having issues, all may be well.

Best,

Katz

In my experience and from reading others, sometimes things creep up slower with ad, couple months to a few off, get hit like a truck. Everyone is different but these " build up" and they also leak, not pour, out.

In my experience and from reading others, sometimes things creep up slower with ad, couple months to a few off, get hit like a truck. Everyone is different but these " build up" and they also leak, not pour, out.

Fox clover and all who replied,

This is what I was told could happen. It could creep up & rear it's ugly head later, and I was also told she could have some to little issues.

I spoke with my friend again and told her that she could have issues because she came off of it fast. I warned her of withdrawal issues she could have and that her system is going to be super sensitive to stress, even some regular meds, supplements, vitamins etc.

I told her if anything, be aware that if she has issues not to end up going to her doctor and becoming poly drugged because that can happen where doctors will put you on a benzo, or another AD or an antipsychotic to try to combat symptoms that are actually withdrawal symptoms and that this can make things much much worse. I told her about support groups out there and she can educate herself on this.

She's a realtor and was out showing a house, and having guests over this weekend with zero issues. She has not been having any issues except for the few brain zaps and a small, manageable panic attack early on & some insomnia. She's out living her life with no limitations. She kept insisting she is doing well and she's happy.

The thing is that I am still healing myself & my system cannot handle the stress of this. I am very sensitive to stress & I am putting myself at risk for having a wave because of this situation with her. I've been doing better on my journey, but I still have symptoms and my life is still limited.

I have been doing better for sure, but my recovery is slow. I had a rough month and was starting to have some great days, and she informed me out of the blue that she did this, and that she is so happy with herself because she's been wanting to come off of the Zoloft. My husband is concerned this is going to throw back my progress, worrying about her, and that effects his life too. He wants me to feel the best I can and not suffer anymore.

I can't be arguing with someone that they should not have tapered that fast and then worry about what's going to happen to them for the upcoming months.

I will never tell anyone ever again the truth about my own story with benzo withdrawal if this is what people are going to do. What I have learned is that I am not equipped for this. People have their own minds and they will do what they decide no matter how many warnings you give them.

I have been through hell the last 3 1/2 years and want my life to be as peaceful as possible. That's all part of good self care.

Thank you everyone for your very helpful replies.

Keep moving forward & be gentle with yourselves  :smitten:

Fox clover and all who replied,

This is what I was told could happen. It could creep up & rear it's ugly head later, and I was also told she could have some to little issues.

I spoke with my friend again and told her that she could have issues because she came off of it fast. I warned her of withdrawal issues she could have and that her system is going to be super sensitive to stress, even some regular meds, supplements, vitamins etc.

I told her if anything, be aware that if she has issues not to end up going to her doctor and becoming poly drugged because that can happen where doctors will put you on a benzo, or another AD or an antipsychotic to try to combat symptoms that are actually withdrawal symptoms and that this can make things much much worse. I told her about support groups out there and she can educate herself on this.

She's a realtor and was out showing a house, and having guests over this weekend with zero issues. She has not been having any issues except for the few brain zaps and a small, manageable panic attack early on & some insomnia. She's out living her life with no limitations. She kept insisting she is doing well and she's happy.

The thing is that I am still healing myself & my system cannot handle the stress of this. I am very sensitive to stress & I am putting myself at risk for having a wave because of this situation with her. I've been doing better on my journey, but I still have symptoms and my life is still limited.

I have been doing better for sure, but my recovery is slow. I had a rough month and was starting to have some great days, and she informed me out of the blue that she did this, and that she is so happy with herself because she's been wanting to come off of the Zoloft. My husband is concerned this is going to throw back my progress, worrying about her, and that effects his life too. He wants me to feel the best I can and not suffer anymore.

I can't be arguing with someone that they should not have tapered that fast and then worry about what's going to happen to them for the upcoming months.

I will never tell anyone ever again the truth about my own story with benzo withdrawal if this is what people are going to do. What I have learned is that I am not equipped for this. People have their own minds and they will do what they decide no matter how many warnings you give them.

I have been through hell the last 3 1/2 years and want my life to be as peaceful as possible. That's all part of good self care.

Thank you everyone for your very helpful replies.

Keep moving forward & be gentle with yourselves  :smitten:

It's nice that you care about her,  you did your part to inform her, most ya can do.