1 month!!

[So...]

Hey guys, one month free of klonopin and one week free of Gabapentin today!  What was something that helped you all to get thru the early days of W/D?  I think the worst thing for me right now is worrying that it will take yrs to feel better.  Thanks & cheers!

Congratulations on your benzo freedom, I sure wish that meant freedom from your symptoms too.  I was lucky, I didn’t know about this process when I started it, I didn’t find answers until I found this place 5 months after my cold turkey.  I didn’t know how long it took to recover, I kept expecting to wake up healed.  It was disappointing to find out the truth but I’m glad I found out what I was going through was normal.

I was lucky in another way too, when I first joined the forum I didn’t know about protracted withdrawal which you mentioned is a fear of yours, back in the old days we didn’t even have a protracted board..  Sure, we had members who said they weren’t feeling better after years of symptoms but I just thought they had something else wrong with them, how wrong I was.

The thing is, we worry, this process has us fearing just about everything including becoming protracted.  Yes, it happens, we see people not recovering after a couple of years but they’re in the minority, most of us recover in the normal time frame in less than 2 years.

Remember, we’re all different and recovery is dependent on so many things besides our benzo use and there isn’t anything we can do about it but try to have faith in our body’s ability to make us right again and for most of us, it happens.  You can make it through this, time will pass and you’ll come out the other side, happy and grateful to be well.

• Like 1

Thanks Pamster!  I am just looking at it as the beginning of my freedom- it can only get up from here hopefully and I am willing to let it!  I can see how not knowing would be a blessing and a curse, it would be scary and isolating but at least you didn't have to fear the time it would take to heal.  I am trying to look at it too like, the internet has people from all over the whole world and only a handful of those are protracted- so I'm thinking odds are on my side :)  I feel and send out love to all those people though and hold hope that they will all heal too.  I can't wait for my time to keep adding up, the other thing I am keeping in mind is that I am 31 days in and no one can take those days away from me!  I can only just keep getting farther from the benzo.  I also promise to never take anything for granted after this experience, even peacefully watching TV w my husband!  I am happy you are healed and I pray everyone else will be soon too!

Hey guys, one month free of klonopin and one week free of Gabapentin today!  What was something that helped you all to get thru the early days of W/D?  I think the worst thing for me right now is worrying that it will take yrs to feel better.  Thanks & cheers!

Hi Soapybits, Congratulations. I read your signature, and you have been through a lot. I have too. I get it. I just crossed the 4.5-month mark in this process. I understand the worry. I have it as well. Something that helped me get through the early days of recovery was a book called "Cured" by Dr. Jeffrey Rediger. Also, the documentary "Heal" by Kelly Noonan Gores. It gave me hope to hear stories of recovery and spontaneous remission in medicine. I still think about those stories every day. I am nowhere near out of the woods yet, but the truth is that a window could open at any moment, and those pesky symptoms could disappear. So we must keep going until that moment arrives and do the best we can each day.

P.S. Pamster always has the best feedback. After all, she has been through this, come out the other end, and has seen many others recover.

Hey Rebecca, thanks!  We have both been thru a lot but I truly think we will be better people in the end for this, I know I have a lot of life left to live and I am ready to live it as soon as my body permits!

Congrats on your 4-5 month timeline, I'm proud of you and am sure that you will turn a corner soon!  I will deff check out the entertainment reccomendations, thanks!