Withdrawal symptoms or other health problems

[Fl...]

Hello, I was on Xanax for 3 years and have withdrawn and now off for a month and a half. I am experiencing bladder and lower abdomen pains and don’t know if this is connected to the withdrawal. I am still on a low dose of klonopin but am tapering off that too but I was only on that for about 3 months.

Hi Flourlights

Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

We’re glad you found us.

When you have some time and feel up to it, could you just fill out your history/signature which each of us have at the bottom of all our posts. This will allow others to give you more informed feedback to any questions you ask on the forum boards. It really is very helpful, and it will draw more responders to your questions.

I think it’s likely that the symptoms you mention are benzodiazepine withdrawal related, however, if you feel concerned and think getting checked out by a doctor may help settle any worry, please do. Generally those who have become concerned about certain symptoms and decide to have all sorts of tests and scans done find that everything comes back clear and doctors can’t pinpoint the cause. It’s generally always benzodiazepine related, as there seems to be very few symptoms benzodiazepine withdrawal don’t cause.

So you’ve been off the Xanax for 1.5 months, but you’re on a low dose of klonopin. What dose of Xanax were you on? How fast did you taper off the Xanax… over what timeframe? How long ago did you start the klonopin and at what dose?

Both Xanax and Klonopin are very potent benzodiazepines, up to 20 times more potent than diazepam (Valium). A 0.5mg tab of xanax or klonopin are the equivalency of between 7.5-10mg Diazepam.

Because of the potency of these benzodiazepines, I guess I’m wondering how fast you are tapering off the klonopin.

General guidelines suggest no more than a 5-10% reduction in dose (calculated from each new dose level) every 10-14 days, or following a symptoms based taper… only reducing again once symptoms from the previous reduction have settled to a tolerable baseline level.

Please do yourself a favour and read through the Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidance which I have provided in the below links.

You will find plenty of information and resources here at BB, including a community of members happy to share their own experiences, offer support, and provide feedback to any questions you may wish to post on the relevant forum boards.

Please feel free to look around and familiarise yourself with the site.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Again, welcome!

WS

Here are a few links to get you started.

Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidance

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper)

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

Add your history/signature

Ashton manual symptom list

https://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzcha03.htm

Please feel free to post your question about your symptoms on the Withdrawal Support Board, as you will most likely draw responses from others who have experienced similar symptoms to your own  :thumbsup: