Determined

[Su...]

I started on Xanax 3 years ago due to a panic attack. I had been dealing with some family issues for a period of time and my brain just couldn’t take it anymore. My primary care doc prescribed Lexapro for anxiety and Xanax, never telling me that the Xanax should be temporary. She then switched me to Clonazepam for more extended relief. When Lexapro didn’t work, I was turned over to a psychiatrist. I tried Zoloft, Buspar, Deplin, and now I’m currently on Effexor. All the while, the benzo was the only thing that gave me relief and she wanted me to take it every day until “the anti-anxiety meds started working”. Well, nothing has worked so I’m currently tapering off the Effexor, too, while taking 1/4 of a .5 mg Clonazepam daily.  I would like to stop the benzo and the psych doc says it is such a low dose, I could just quit cold turkey. Even at this low dose, it is not easy! I’ve tried.  I’m looking for answers from others. All the issues that led to these prescriptions have been resolved so I just don’t want to be on these meds! i have had doctors tell me until you achieve a calm state and stay that way for at least a year, you should not discontinue the medication. However I think I don’t need it and the discomfort I have is not anxiety at all….it is benzo withdrawal. How do I know?

Hello Suemp123, welcome to BenzoBuddies,

I took Clonazepam for sleep but I learned about anxiety when my body grew dependent on the drug, it actually causes anxiety-like discomfort when we become tolerant to it so I’d bet that’s what’s causing yours. 

I believe a taper is wise but I’d only taper one medication at a time so you might want to wait until you’ve recovered from the Effexor taper.

I’ll provide some links to help you navigate the forum but we’re glad you’re here and hope we can help guide you through this.

Pamster

Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidance

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper)

Ashton Manual symptom list

The Ashton Manual

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

You actually do know You! I reinstated .06 Clonazapam mid-December. Like your, I am in no hurry to stop that microdose.

Have you considered Magnesium, Hydroxyzine, Propranolol? They all help with symptoms and, for me, I just need some support, comfort for my body & mind 🙏