New to tapering need help to combat nausea

[Je...]

Hi,

I am new to tapering. I started last week with tapering to get rid of my long time Ativan addiction of 30 years. Even before tapering I felt nauseous. After ruling out anything medical the nausea is probably related to the Ativan use. Now with the tapering the nausea has become debilitating and looking for thoughts on how to reduce the nausea.

Thanks

Before: variable between 6-10 mg Ativan per day

1/22/2023 using 2 mg Ativan 20 mg Diazepam

This is the key symptom for my wife as well.  This is what we've treated it with:

- Emetrol - This is a low risk anti nausea used by pregnant women.  The dosage is 15mg per serving, and they only say you can take 5 doses in an hour.  My wife takes one dose of it and it seems to help and work well, but for some reason she is too afraid to take it (I think this is part of some ptsd anxiety from taking this pill and not knowing the risks).

- CBD Oil cannabadoil - She got one from the medicinal marijuana dispensary and they told her it was specifically for nausea.  She takes a dropper of this every morning after breakfast and it seems to address her nausea.

- Electrolytes - Electrolytes are great for helping hydrate your body and helps reduce the feeling of nausea.  Gatorade is fine, but my wife likes the Pedialyte electrolyte beverage, she feels it is safer. 

- Eating Crackers/saltines through the day. 

- Ginger tea, ginger chews.  We buy ginger root at trader joes and she makes a tea out of it.  We also get these ginger chews she'll chew every so often. 

I’m fairly new also & digestive issues in particular, nausea was the reason I started tapering.At start I dropped 4 dress sizes (around 20kgs). I’m in Australia. I’ve had 2 colonoscopies & gastroscopes which showed nothing. My GI doc started me on Domperidone for the nausea and slow motility. Nausea settled for around 1 month until recent cut however it’s not as bad as before.

I wish I had listened to the advice from the “Senior” Benzo buddies & taken things slowly & listened to my body (symptoms).

I stopped caffeine- coffee/tea. Initially,  I was experiencing food sensitivities however this has lessened. I have to watch/limit my fibre intake. Drink plenty of water.

As previous BB mentioned, ginger tea, ginger gummy bears etc. Gatorade is ok. Sometimes I use Iberogast however not sure it helps. I try to eat smaller meals more often.

I hope you feel better soon. Nausea is a horrible thing.

Who is directing your taper, your Ativan and Diazepam dose is too low!, you’re severely under medicated, no wonder you’re nauseous!

Please take a look at this equivalency tool, I strongly suggest you either increase your Ativan or Diazepam dose before you go much further. https://clincalc.com/Benzodiazepine/

Hi All,

Based on the responses here, I went back and asked for a re evaluation of the tapering schedule. Currently being reviewed. Waiting to hear back

Jennifer, organic ginger juice in water helped me through the worst of the nausea when I was getting off of Ativan and in acute. I will not take any other medications so I do this and it works.

Also, if you are not histamine intolerant this recipe below has worked wonders for me. My mother also has bad nausea and it helps her. Recommended by a medical professional. I put it in the blender and make extra to keep in the fridge for 24-48 hours so I can drink it as needed.

Organic frozen pineapple (From Costco)

Organic ginger juice (I use fresh ginger but you can order frozen online)

Organic frozen aloe vera (PitayaPlus brand)

Organic Cinnamon

Ice

Water

Thankfully nausea has passed. It will pass for you too.

Nausea was my WORST symptom when I was in tolerance withdrawal - it was so awful. I want you to know it will pass. It is completely gone for me now. You will get through this!

No meds worked for me - I tried everything. Best thing wound up being chewing fresh ginger. Just sticking it in the side of my cheek and sucking on it.

It will improve as you get your taper under control. Pamster is right - it sounds like you may have dropped a bit much too fast. If you were taking up to 10mg of Ativan/day, and then were dropped to basically the equivalent of 6, that could be a big part of the problem. You may need to add more ativan or valium.

Hope you feel better soon.