Long time user of Ativan

[Je...]

Hi,

I started my Ativan tapering a couple of days ago because the situation got so bad that I am no longer able to live independently. The tapering is hitting me hard after using Ativan for over more than 30 years. Currently I am on 2 mg of Ativan combined with 20 mg of diazepam. I am worried that this is a little too aggressive after using about 8-10 mg Ativan a day. Hoping to get some support to deal with the situation.

Hello Jenniferxxx - welcome to BenzoBuddies!

We're glad you found us!  You will find good information and resources here as well as support from a community of others who understand what this process is like.  We can help you plan a careful taper off Ativan.  I am concerned that you're tapering to fast from what you say here. Your sense that it's best to take this slow is on target. We typically suggest tapering with cuts of no more than 5-10% every 14 days or longer.  This is the best way we know of to keep withdrawal symptoms to a minimum. 

Please tell us more about your taper.  It will help us know how to guide you.

Please explore the site and feel free to post your questions.  I will give you some links below to help you get started but please reach out for support.

We're glad you're here!

Brighterday  :)

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper Plans)

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

Success Stories

Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidance

Chapter 3 Ashton manual, list of symptoms

Add your history/signature

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

Thanks for the support! The withdrawal symptoms are slightly improving and was able to convince my physician that tapering every week by 0.5 mg Ativan was too much. Brain fog is improving and feeling less disassociated from family and friends. Currently the biggest issue is the fatigue, but now that I am aware that all the symptoms are related to the withdrawal process already gives me a lot of comfort and really help  me push through this tough time and make me listen to my body. Things that are helping me:

* warm lunch at noon

* when I feel the pressure behind my eyes build up I lay down with a weighted eyepad giving some relaxation to my eyes

* nausea: not a lot helps, eating small portion of leftover dinner helps sometimes. Avoiding anything sweet

* fatigue: fortunately I am retired so I can give in to my need to sleep

I’m happy to hear your doctor is amenable to letting you slow things down. The drug has changed the way your brain and nervous system work and it takes time as you taper and after you’re free of the drug for your body to get back to normal. Going slow and allowing for healing as you taper will give your body this chance.

I used to read the symptom list and it gave me comfort, knowing what I was feeling was normal, well maybe normal is the wrong word, maybe common is better because this process is anything but normal.  ::)