Looking for thoughts on Seroquel

[Up...]

So I had a doctor appointment today, and after much discussion he decided that Seroquel would be the best course of action to help me sleep. Anyone else have good experiences with this medication?

I have been on Seroquel for 10+ years for insomnia. It tends to work fantastic for majority of people but there are some that don't benefit from it's effects. Help with sleep is Seroquel's secondary effect, that's not it's primary purpose but it works for me personally. Dosage is a big deal, the more knowledgeable doctors know that the lower doses are better for sleep, eg 50mg or lower. The higher doses are for the antipsychotic effect. I started on 25mg 10 years ago and due to tolerance, I'm forced to use closer to 200mg. The first couple of years it knocked me out so hard that if I woke up to pee I had trouble getting out of bed and making it to the bathroom, that's how sedating it was. Now, it feels more like taking extra strong melatonin though I believe this is because I've been on it for 10 years.

I think you should give it a fair try and make sure you take the lowest possible dose that will give you a sedating effect.

Good luck!

I did not sleep for two weeks and was given Seroquel (Quetiapine) at a hospital over four months ago. It gave me bad anxiety and heart palpitations in the middle of the night and caused nightmares at higher doses. Now I have to taper off the rest of that medication after tapering off benzos so recently. Research the side effect profile. I was unable to do so because of my situation. I would never have started the medication had I known. One can do many holistic things for sleep that do not involve taking an antipsychotic. I have to taper off this now in compounded doses so that it does not disturb my already healing nervous system. I want off all meds and to live a holistic lifestyle from here on out, so it depends on your health goals whether to take an antipsychotic for sleep. You will eventually have to withdraw from any medication you add into the mix.

I have been on Seroquel for 10+ years for insomnia. It tends to work fantastic for majority of people but there are some that don't benefit from it's effects. Help with sleep is Seroquel's secondary effect, that's not it's primary purpose but it works for me personally. Dosage is a big deal, the more knowledgeable doctors know that the lower doses are better for sleep, eg 50mg or lower. The higher doses are for the antipsychotic effect. I started on 25mg 10 years ago and due to tolerance, I'm forced to use closer to 200mg. The first couple of years it knocked me out so hard that if I woke up to pee I had trouble getting out of bed and making it to the bathroom, that's how sedating it was. Now, it feels more like taking extra strong melatonin though I believe this is because I've been on it for 10 years.

I think you should give it a fair try and make sure you take the lowest possible dose that will give you a sedating effect.

Good luck!

Thanks so much for posting. My doctor and I discussed it at length and decided that this is the best medicine for me to help with my taper as I told him I was getting sleep but not quality sleep. He figured Seroquel would be the best option as he believes it will also help with my suicidal ideation. Very concerning I know.

What dose did you start off on that sedated you pretty good? He's starting me off on 50 mg tabs but if I find it ineffective I can go up to 100 mgs. Tonight will be my first time taking it.

I used to be on Seroquel XR years ago and am currently taking regular Seroquel. 100mg in the morning and afternoon and 200mg at night. It's definitely working for me along with Buspar (10mg 3x daily) and Effexor (225mg 1x daily). I'm the best I have been for a very long time.