Clonazepam tapering help needed!

[12...]

[12...]

I’ve been feeling like I’m in tolerance and I’m not going up, so the only way is down. I have not started tapering K since I switched a few months ago, see signature. I have 1 mg tablets. I really don’t want to make more than a 10% reduction. I don’t have a scale but I suppose I can order one in it will be necessary for this. I’m also open to trying liquid titration with some serious math help! Actually I’m going to need some serious math help with any type of taper. Last time I was tapering I was just breaking a pill in half and making way too big cuts.

Anyone who can help me with this? I greatly appreciate any help or suggestions!

First and foremost, thank you for including your signature! What is your current daily dosing schedule for the clonazepam?  That is, how many milligrams of clonazepam do you take at what times?

Given that your starting dose is relatively high, you may be able to use the ‘Direct Simple Taper’ method — more commonly known as  pill-splitting — at the beginning of your taper.

Would your prescriber be willing to prescribe a combination of lower strength solid dosage forms to support this?  If you are in the US, clonazepam is available in 0.5mg scored tablets as well as 0.125mg and 0.25mg Orally Disintegrating Tablets (ODTs).

[12...]

First and foremost, thank you for including your signature! What is your current daily dosing schedule for the clonazepam?  That is, how many milligrams of clonazepam do you take at what times?

Given that your starting dose is relatively high, you may be able to use the ‘Direct Simple Taper’ method — more commonly known as  pill-splitting — at the beginning of your taper.

Would your prescriber be willing to prescribe a combination of lower strength solid dosage forms to support this?  If you are in the US, clonazepam is available in 0.5mg scored tablets as well as 0.125mg and 0.25mg Orally Disintegrating Tablets (ODTs).

Yes I can get the 0.5 tablets and possibly liquid. I just can’t get a smaller size until a month as I just filled my prescription. I’m kind of thinking about just eyeballing it and taking teeny shavings off one of my doses for a few days. I know that’s probably not the best idea, though. How do I cut a tablet with no score line and would I be cutting it into 4 pieces or going for more? I just want to at least get started with this taper even if it’s very small for now. I’m stuck in tolerance and it’s really crappy.  :-[

That’s excellent news that you can get lower strength tablets and possibly a compounded liquid.

Depending on your daily dosing schedule, using a combination of regular tablets and a compounded liquid might be an option for you to consider. 

You’ve indicated your total daily dose is 3mg.  What is your dosing schedule?  Do you take 1mg three times a day?  Other?

Re: how to cut pills with no score line …

The only experience I have with pill-splitting is using a scored tablet and an EqualSplit Pill Splitter.  So let’s hope other members who have more experience will provide input.