I’m back and need help.

[...]

Hello everyone.  I received a lot of help from so many of you about 1 1/2 years ago and I couldn’t have done it without you.  I’ve been on Xanax for approximately 28 years.  I tapered from 2.5 mg Xanax a day to 1.5 mg a day.  Have been on the 1.5 mg since for the last 1 1/2 years. 

My background is so similar to moojoo22 it’s uncanny!! 

My doctor left her practice and I am seeing someone new.  He wants me to taper.  Unlike my previous GP who doled out X like candy, the new one wants me off completely.  I want off it so badly as well.  I feel chained to it.  I’m so afraid if I was unconscious and taken to a hospital they wouldn’t know to give me my pills and I would die. 

Here’s my problem and what draws me back to you is that I’m in a bad place.  I’m quite depressed and anxious even after coming back from vacation.  I’m still on 175 mg Zoloft but not sure if it even works.  Along with a few health problems I can’t think like I used to.  I feel confused.  I’d like any opinion and help anyone can give me in which dose I should start with this new taper and by how much.  I am currently taking:

.25 on waking

.25 10:30 am

.25  1:30 pm

.25    4:30 pm

.5 at bedtime 

Thank you all so much in advance 

I know you’re not looking forward to tapering off of the Xanax but I was thinking when I saw the number of times a day you dose and thought, won’t it be nice when you’re not chained to the drug anymore?  There is a sense of freedom when we can eliminate the chain that keeps us tethered to the drug so I hope you can see the upside of taking this on.

What kind of taper are you planning on, will your new doctor allow you to go at your own pace?

Thank you for your reply.  There is a huge part of me that wants to be off that drug so so badly but so scary. 

I tapered a whole mg in a little less than a month.  I started with just a little tiny piece for a few days then another and so on.  One mg was 4 doses for me so I was feeling good about it but then I stopped. 

I have been meaning to to start tapering but didn’t.  Now my dr wants me off them and I have no choice.  I’m so afraid.  Last time was my choice but now I feel pressure.  Im trying to put together a plan but I feel confused.  my dr did say leave first dose and last dose as is and start with one of the two mid day ones.  Trying to figure it out.  H the dr did say it will take time and he didn’t give me a timeline but I think he wants sooner than later.  He also said perhaps replacing it with another drug to get me through and that scares me!  Aren’t they all addictive?

Has your doctor read The Ashton Manual? Does he know about compounding the doses so you can taper slowly?

If you add in any other medication, you will have to then wean off of that as well. I am in that position and wish I was not in that position. It seems to only add to the risk and potential side effect profile and adds time to recovery.

Hi Rebecca …. I’m so glad you are feeling progress.  I don’t really know what compounding means with regard to Xanax.  I’ll have to read the manual. 

You’re so right about the replacement with another drug, it’s terrifying.  Why would I do that? 

What I’m not comfortable with is it’s very hard to find a dr in my city.  Always was.  I found a female dr but only met her at a meet and greet. She mentioned we would work on getting off the X.  She’s on maternity leave until May.  The dr who is taking her place has me starting this taper and I’m sure as heck know I won’t be finished with it.  So I’ll be working with him and he’ll leave and I start with her.  That really bothers me! 

Thanks for your reply 😘

If my memory serves me correctly, I recall reading a post here where someone in Canada found a doctor who worked with Heather Ashton and that doctor helped their taper. You might want to search "Canada" and "Ashton" to find the post here. I hope that I am correct about this.

Here is helpful information on compounding and The Ashton Manual:

https://www.benzoinfo.com/benzodiazepine-tapering-strategies/

I hope that you research these methods before you make any decisions.

You mention feeling confused...You can always ask a family member or friend who is good with math and research to help you digest this information and make the soundest decision. You do not have to do this alone. Please protect your health at all costs. It is worth it.

Where are you from in Canada.

I’m in the Toronto area and might be able to help if you’re in Ontario etc.

Winnie

Hi!!  I’m just outside of Toronto.

If my memory serves me correctly, I recall reading a post here where someone in Canada found a doctor who worked with Heather Ashton and that doctor helped their taper. You might want to search "Canada" and "Ashton" to find the post here. I hope that I am correct about this.

Hello Rebecca29.  Are you perchance referring to Dr. Jim Wright?  He did indeed meet Dr. Ashton and used her method.  My understanding is he is now retired from practice but is still a member of the medical advisory board for the Benzodiazepine Information Coalition:

Jim Wright, M.D., Ph.D., FRCPC

https://www.benzoinfo.com/jim-wright/

Yes, Dr Wright is retired, though he may still have a few legacy patients.

There was another dr that was a female that knew Ashton as well and was in Vancouver area, Tikvah used her to get off.

Irb is in Ontario near me, so that’s across the country.

Irb:

I don’t know if you’re about to be kicked off or are worried about your supply of benzo, but I’m using the Women’s College Hospital RAAM clinic. I’m just east of Toronto, in the GTA.

They will taper you according to Ashton, and they are letting me go as slow as I need! I’m the slowest one they have!

I have POTS/Dysautonomia and my POTS dr is in the same hospital and even had to talk to them about them not labelling everything as anxiety and that a lot of my symptoms are from the Dysautonomia etc.

They are not the most informed on all the symptoms, but the best you’ll find in Ontario to taper you. Plus the more they see the more they’ll start to put it all together etc.

You can reach them at 416-323-7559 ext 6.

I do everything by video.

There are also RAAM clinics everywhere in Ontario, certainly one at the community hospital where I am here, but I chose downtown, which has helped with having most of my drs in one spot!

They will want to move you over to Valium, but honestly you don’t have to, they can’t make you etc.

Let me know if you have any questions

Winnie

Winnie and Rebecca…thank you so much!

Winnie, the clinic sounds very interesting.  I didn’t know it existed and I will certainly call on Monday.  I’m so very thankful for the connection. 

My doctor wants me off X but I don’t believe he’ll push too hard.  We are new to each other.  He did say slow taper and that it may take a year.  Sounds ok.  I think.  Lol

I’m going to start tapering a bit on Monday. 

Does the clinic prescribe or would my doctor still do that?

irb

No problem Irb

I’m not that active anymore, but when I see someone nearby, I try and help.

If your dr is being good and not threatening you with no benzo then I’d stick with him for now.

I’d only pursue the clinic if he says he won’t prescribe.

You’ll have a lot less stress this way.

If he does want to go faster than you can and/or wants to kick you off, then go to the clinic.

People on here know way more than any dr in Canada.

That’s my advice, good luck

Winnie