Need basic help with Ativan taper - Talk to me like I'm five

[bu...]

Hi

So I'm supporting my husband as he's attempting to taper off ativan after some intense panic and anxiety symptoms after jumps that were too big. So we're nervous to do things too quickly lest the full-blown panic comes back.

I've been looking through the threads and there's so much good information but for some reason, I can't get my mind around the actual logistics of how the dry-cut taper works. I understand the recommendation is to go down 5-10% of the dose every two weeks-ish? symptoms depending.

So, if he's currently taking .75 mg split into three doses - he has .5mg tablets, so he's taking 1/2 a tablet each time. If he's dropping 5%, then his next dose would be .7125 mg split into three doses. How does that happen?!

As of now he is splitting the tablets with a pill cutter, but does this tiny amount require a scale? and how do I know how much weight = the amount of mg?

I'm so sorry to be so basic, but I really am having a hard time connecting the dots from the theoretical to the logistics.

Thank you so much for any suggestions!

I hope you get an answer. I'm in process of taper and was hoping to do the Valium sub but my doc can't see me until 2/15 and I've already started and do not was to go back up. So, I'll just dry cut Ativan. But it is very confusing...know that you are not alone in that!

I’ve noticed that a members personality comes into play when they attempt to taper, some need exactness in their tapering so they opt for scales and dry titration or they use a liquid.  Ativan is available through the manufacturer in liquid form or some members make their own.  Others seem to be fine with cutting, shaving or grinding their pills and making little piles.  It seems like all of these methods are equally effective but what is the most important is your confidence in your method, this is critical.

What do you think you and your husband will be the most comfortable with, once you figure that out, we can help you with the logistics.