Last bit tapering - Clonazepam

[Ro...]

Hi All, stats about previous taper are in signature.

Briefly - started benzos due to insomnia and anxiety caused by Mum's terminal cancer in 2020, they gave me a "time out" at night by knocking me out and letting me sleep - it was probably the most stupid thing to do. I self medicated - coudl not get hold of Dr (system in UK totally broken) and bought medication online. Dose on some nights during hardest time before Mum died as high as 6 mg Clonazepam and also additional 30 mg Zolpidem.

After Mum died last July got informed (this board was a godsend!) and stopped Zolpidem immediately with no problems, and started a rapid taper of Clnazepam that I then slowed down in autumn. Besides the first cut I barely had any side effects.

In January when I went down to 1mg dose the effects of the drug were gone -  Insomnia is what I struggle most with, excessive sweating, initial depression - but I think that's also the grief coming through now that it is no longer suppressed by the Benzo. I am now at a point where I just want to get off the drug to start recovery as hard as that may be.

I tapered again twice in January - 11th Jan to 0.75 mg, 18th Jan to 0.5 mg, and have to say that my symptoms only slightly increased for one day, otherwise they are the same as on 1mg - sleepless nights, vivid dreams, nausea in morning, excessive sweating (which is annoying but not the end of the world). I have been working throughout with no problems, and also kept up with my workout routine. Will start therapy for underlying issues (bereavement, anxiety) on Monday. Will go on holiday on 5th February for nearly three weeks which is much needed healing time for me.

Now my question / problem I ask for advise - I only have 2 mg tablets of clonazepam as I ordered them online, so the lowest taper I can realistically do is by 0.25 mg. So only two steps would be possible - go from 0.5 mg to 0.25 mg to zero.

I could substitute clonazepam with diazepam which I can taper in slower steps - I have 5 mg tablets, so could switch to 10 mg Diazepam now and then taper in smaller doses.

Part of me does not want to go down this route, and stay on the dose I am now until after my holiday, then do the last two steps of tapering clonazepam - going to 2.5 mg and then zero. Or maybe even tapering to 0.25 when away and going to zero when I come back.

The fact that I pretty much had no change in symptoms doing the rapid taper from 1 mg to 0.5 mg gives me hope that I can do this - and then deal with the recovery symptoms. I am super determined to get this medication out of my system now to start recovery and move forward, I feel this tiny taper approach is not really needed for me based on the successful rapid taper I did in January, and the symptoms I have I can deal with successfully. And I actually fell mentally lighter and stronger right now having done these rapid reductions, as if I am in control again not the drug. I don't want to drag this out forever.

Am I totally mad considering sticking with this rapid taper? I of course will discuss this also with my therapist on Monday but would appreciate your input.

Hi Romily,

I think it's too aggressive an approach.  I understand you went from 1 mg to .5 mg with no real problem; however, that doesn't guarantee that going from .5 mg to .25 mg or from .25 mg to 0 would be easy.  Clonazepam is a potent and fickle drug.  I know because I'm also tapering from it.

Have you considered using a file to shave off some of your tablets as a way to taper more slowly?  Good luck to you.

Thanks, that actually never occurred to me. Would you already start shaving parts of the tablet going down from 0.5 mg to 0.25 mg? I could also try to cut the 0.25 mg piece further ( cat claw Clippers are awesome for it) but I won't be able to achieve always the same dose, is that not a worry?

Thanks, that actually never occurred to me. Would you already start shaving parts of the tablet going down from 0.5 mg to 0.25 mg? I could also try to cut the 0.25 mg piece further ( cat claw Clippers are awesome for it) but I won't be able to achieve always the same dose, is that not a worry?

I use a metal nail file to shave my tablets.  If you can break up your tablets so that they are .5 mg, then you could shave them down to do a slower taper.  A question I have for you:  Do you have a jeweler's scale you can use or are you just eyeballing the pieces and making approximate cuts?  A scale will ensure that you are able to achieve the same or reasonably close dose.

yes - go slow. slow has been working for you. as you get down in mg don't let the smaller dose speed up your tapper.  keep doing what you're doing. get the jeweler scale and shave off. it'll make life way more bearable

Never knew precision scales come so cheaply that is something I will definitely buy!

I had a long thinking session last night and will stay on current dose of 0.5 mg as I will go traveling to Panama in two weeks, for at least 3 weeks. Taking the scales into account I might then do a very slow reduction when I'm away and go down 10% every two weeks when I'm back. Makes the final step towards stopping much less scary now I know I can achieve a slow and gradual taper with the scales, thank you so much for that info, this forum is just fantastic!

One last maybe stupid question - when you shave of tiny amounts and have them on the scale how do you take them then? Do they stick to your finger when you press it into the I guess powder and you put it in your mouth that way? I guess you want to avoid licking the scales  ;D