Tapering question

[Sa...]

I have been on 1.5mg Kolonapin for 4 months because I had extreme anxiety. A month and half ago we started weaving down my dose. I was able to get off of .5 with no problem but was a fast taper. Shen I got to 7.5 I felt strange and had a panic attack about day 5. I reinstated to my last drop.

I am better but after reading this website I am having anxiety about coming off.

The question I have is:

If one does a liquid VERY slow (5%) per month, can one avoid the withdrawals and does that aliminate post withdrawal ? I will be in serious trouble if I stimulate my CNS since that is the reason I had to start taking the benzo. i had a antidepressant mixup which left me is 24/7 fight or fight.

Why are people having so many withdrawal symptoms if they are holding until stabilized?

Can one do it in a way to totally avoid a lot of withdrawal symptoms? I am willing to take as long as needed to avoid withdrawal.

Since I have been on these for over 4 months , is it worse to get off of then at 10 months?

Thank you

Can you clarify what you mean when you say you got to 7.5?

Given you’re already dependent on the Klonopin, I don’t think it makes much difference if you taper at 4 months or 10.

As to your question about a symptom free withdrawal, I’ve known very few members who have been able to accomplish this but maybe thats because many don’t have the patience or resources to do this.  Or maybe it isn’t this reason and its totally up to your genetics, general health, time on the drug or hundreds of other reasons we aren’t aware of. 

Given what I’ve observed on the forum, I doubt 5% a month would be slow enough to produce a symptom free taper and in my experience reading here, I don’t think we can predict what your recovery will look like, there are too many variables. 

One thing I want to clarify, we consider stable to be able to perform your daily tasks and your symptoms have stopped changing drastically, they’ve leveled off, it doesn’t mean feeling good.

• 2 weeks later...

Sandy meant .75 mg instead of 7.5.

I will echo what Pamster said that many of us have at least some symptoms coming off no matter how slow we go. Perhaps you'll be one of the fortunate who don't, if you can go sufficiently slowly. The recommendation around here is to cut no more than 5 to 10% of the previous dose every two to four weeks.

I have been symptomatic the entire way off despite my taper rate, but some symptoms have dropped off as I've gotten lower, while others have gotten stronger.

Wishing you a comfortable taper.