Is it Worth it to switch to Diazepam from .25 mg Klonopin?

[Lu...]

I was on .5 mg originally only for a few months. Should I just finish my taper on the klonopin or switch? Tapering from this last .25 mg has been really tough. I don't know how you guys did it. Any advice is greatly appreciated. My doc wants me off fast and his tapering schedule has been painful, He keeps cutting my dose in half every 2 weeks but now he wants me to take it just every other day for 7 days and that's the end. I'd like to keep cutting gradually everyday though, it's more comfortable. Help!

Hi LucyLui

I don't understand why your doctor wants you off fast and it's clear he doesn't have an understanding of benzo withdrawal. Cutting your dose by 50% is huge and it's no wonder you're struggling. I needed to be functional while tapering and it took me a year to taper 0.4mg. I'm not saying it will take everyone this long, but I was sick with Long Covid and couldn't afford to have withdrawal on top of this, so I tapered at 5% reductions every 2 weeks and I barely felt any symptoms. I just finished my taper almost a month ago and I'm doing fairly okay. Getting off the drug is only step one. Once you're off, then there's the recovery phase. This could take anything from 1-2 years to stop having withdrawal symptoms. We have learned that those who have lesser symptoms during their taper are more likely to have a better recovery period than those who rush their tapers. Of course this cannot be guaranteed, but you do want to give yourself the best chance at success. Also remember that while you're taking the drug you still have some level of control over your symptoms. Once you're off, you have no control whatsoever and you're at the mercy of your symptoms.

I would not recommend a crossover to Diazepam. It seems a lot of people struggle when crossing over and unless you're experiencing really bad interdose withdrawal we don't advise it. I would recommend you hold your current dose for a month or so to let your body recover from the fast cuts. From here on out it's really important to set yourself up for the jump and recovery phase. I don't know if your doctor will keep prescribing for you if he wants you off fast? If not, can you get someone else to prescribe? Once your body has recovered and you feel stabilized, then I suggest you taper at a lower rate. I would suggest between 5-7% to start with.

I know how hard it is to suffer. I had a horrendous start with benzo's with a 75% and 50% cut that eventually resulted in me being bedridden and not being able to function at all. I'd hate to see that happen to anyone. As someone that has done the taper from Clonazepam and have been functional throughout and not in benzo hell, this would be my recommendation.

Please keep asking if you have more questions or just want to chat about what I've said.  :smitten:

Hi,

Did you use a liquid klonopin to withdraw? And how long did you hold?

Thanks!

No, I didn't use liquid Clonazepam for  my taper, but if you can get liquid Rivotril it's certainly the better option. The next best option is a compounded liquid. I used a combination of pills and an alcohol liquid suspension for my titration. The percentage I used to micro taper was 7.5%/14 days but I only tapered 7 days and then held my dose for 3 days.