Muscle tension/tightening

[...]

I've posted more extensively about my brother's situation, but I'll just briefly recap. He CT just over six months ago, from a decade of use of a high dose of klonopin.

His worst symptom is akathesia--a weird kind of compulsion that make you need to move. People with aka need to pace all the time. Along with a lot of fear and intrusive thoughts, he believes his life is over and he'll never be rid of this, and he'll need to pace for ever. Most of you understand this fear I'm sure.

Well I was with him a few days ago, and he was able to sit for over an hour (he also smiled for the first time I can remember). He could have gone longed but I had to go and get to work. As he sits, his muscles get tense. Standing up after prolonged sitting is even painful. Once he starts moving, the tension goes away.

I believe his akathesia is starting to go away, or is greatly reduced, since he can sit for so long. I think his akathesia has masked the muscle tension problem because the pacing relieves the muscle tension. How that he paces less, and tries to sit more, he has more muscle tension. It important that his akathesia may be going away since his fear has fixated on the need to pace for the rest of his life. Now he may be able to do away with that fear.

So my question for the group is really about muscle tension. Is this something you experience when you try to sit? The nervous system off of benzos may not let your muscles relax. That excitatory side of the nervous system is tensing the muscle. Does that seem accurate?

If his problem now is muscle tension, what can be done to help alleviate it? Warm bath? Epsom salt bath? Could epsom salt trigger him?

I'm sorry your brother has gone through such a rough time.  He's so fortunate to have your caring support.

Here's what it says about muscle symptoms. Chapter 3 Ashton manual, list of symptoms

"Muscle Symptoms

Benzodiazepines are efficient muscle relaxants and are used clinically for spastic conditions ranging from spinal cord disease or injury to the excruciating muscle spasms of tetanus or rabies. It is therefore not surprising that their discontinuation after long-term use is associated with a rebound increase in muscle tension. This rebound accounts for many of the symptoms observed in benzodiazepine withdrawal. Muscle stiffness affecting the limbs, back, neck and jaw are commonly reported, and the constant muscle tension probably accounts for the muscle pains which have a similar distribution. Headaches are usually of the “tension headache” type, due to contraction of muscles at the back of the neck, scalp and forehead – often described as a “tight band around the head”. Pain in the jaw and teeth is probably due to involuntary jaw clenching, which often occurs unconsciously during sleep.

At the same time, the nerves to the muscles are hyperexcitable, leading to tremor, tics, jerks, spasm and twitching, and jumping at the smallest stimulus. All this constant activity contributes to a feeling of fatigue and weakness (“jelly-legs”). In addition, the muscles, especially the small muscles of the eye, are not well co-ordinated, which may lead to blurred or double vision or even eyelid spasms (blepharospasm).

None of these symptoms is harmful, and they need not be a cause of worry once they are understood. The muscle pain and stiffness is actually little different from what is regarded as normal after an unaccustomed bout of exercise, and would be positively expected, even by a well-trained athlete, after running a marathon.

There are many measures that will alleviate these symptoms, such as muscle stretching exercises as taught in most gyms, moderate exercise, hot baths, massage and general relaxation exercises. Such measures may give only temporary relief at first, but if practised regularly can speed the recovery of normal muscle tone – which will eventually occur spontaneously."

I don't believe a bath with Epsom salts will create problems for him - I think it's worth trying.  Personally, warm baths with Epsom salts and lavender oil by candlelight with soothing music playing were a big comfort for me when I was in the thick of withdrawal.