Pls help me taper of Ativan - every extra day matters

[Im...]

Hello I have a question about benzos and I feel like I have nowhere else to turn.

I am terrified and I walk all day with tears in my eyes because I feel so alone.

Many here will probably laugh at my situation, but I have had massive tinnitus since 3 weeks and can't sleep. Doctor prescribed me 2.5mg Ativan and I have been taking this for 9 days now.

It works as it should and I have some sleep again.

The problem is that by now I have read so many horror stories about benzos and withdrawal that I am completely freaking out.

So I have been taking 2.5mg 9 days in a row and I would like to get rid of it. But I don't know if I can stop this right away or I need to tapering this as well. I am terrified of another spike in my T and am looking for help from others....

Do I need to stop cold turkey? Do I switch to diazepam? Do I start tapering from 1.25 or 2.5?

My doctor says I can just stop, but I have trouble believing him because he is very casual about the ben

Hi Imsoscared,

Sorry to hear about your struggles.  You are sort of caught between a rock and a hard place.  The Ativan apparently is helping you with the tinnitus, but you risk being on it long-term if you continue.

The good news is that you haven't been on Ativan very long.  Usually a taper of 5 - 10% of the current daily dosage is recommended, but in your case, I'd lean towards making it a rapid taper.

Cold turkey may be too abrupt at this point.  And I feel that crossing over to Valium would be a prolonging risk.  Honestly, I'm not sure what percentage reduction I'd recommend.  Maybe 20 - 50%??  Others may want to chime in with their recommendations..  Good luck to you.

If it were me I'd just stop. Your tinnitus will likely come back but that's a relatively small price to pay for the myriad of withdrawal symptoms and years you could be stuck with these additional symptoms if you continue to stay on the drug.

Do you have a history of taking and discontinuing benzodiazepines (or other psychoactive drugs)?  Or, is this the first time you have taken a benzodiazepine?

Earlier this year i took Xanax 1mg for 10 days because of GAD, stopped that CT because back then I never heared about the severe withdrawal.

Had no problems with that.

Last night I went to see a doctor and he said I won't feel anything after a short use of 9 days... again always the same with doctors downplaying this withdrawal.

So last night I took 1,25 instead of 2,5mg. Tonight I wil take 0,625 and hope for the best

I'm so scared

Edit: Removed profanity

• 4 weeks later...